Purchasing an 05 Linear - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th September 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear
Default Purchasing an 05 Linear

I started out by fully intending to purchase an AWD car and somehow got looking at the 9-3 and suddenly AWD didn't seem important anymore!

I've been looking for an 04 or 05 and would love and Aero or Arc but just can't find one in my price range (<$10k) without very high mileage, at least here in the Ohio area. I have found an 05 Linear with 52k miles and they want $9,995 for it. I am sure i can get that a little lower, but does that sound in the right ballpark. The NADA book value says $10.7k for a clean retail but I don't know how representative that is of real pricing?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th September 2009
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 93 Saab Vector m6 spd

That's an alright deal; not the best, but also not the worst. I also just recently bought one but it was a vector not a linear(had to shell a little more out :X) lol. Great cars I will say, and you won't regret spending that much if you look at some of the over priced Japanese cars.
Old 28th September 2009

My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector BCB Stage 2

NADA book value is king for the dealerships. However what I did was make a list of all the imperfections and bargain them down. I would also advise if you are trading in a car to negotiate the price first, then mention the trade in after that's settled.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc

I have a 2005 Arc and I love it. I'm from Ohio and the Saab has been through one winter and it did beautifully. I never got stuck once or never got scared.

The stability control and the design of the Saab makes it king of the road in the winter...and that was on cheap all-seasons...
Old 28th September 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
NADA book value is king for the dealerships. However what I did was make a list of all the imperfections and bargain them down. I would also advise if you are trading in a car to negotiate the price first, then mention the trade in after that's settled.

I agree about the NADA Prices... there great if you crash and they pay you, you get more than you could sell the car for....

Knock about 20 percent off and settle for about 15 off.... they hate it when you spring a trade on them.... then they just lowball you even more on the trade... O would sell it privately.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-3 Aero BSR-3 /// '78 99 Turbo

I would NOT pay that much money for a Linear.

A nice Arc or Aero with a MT, maybe...

Molitoth's Garage
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2978715
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
I read an article where an airline manager said he hoped none of his Fokker 100 airliners had an accident with the wings, such as the wings clipping a pole. This was because the plane and the wings are no longer made and the plane would have to be scrapped if such a minor accident happened. I feel the same way with my 2005 Linear. In some ways, I like it more than a 2009 so it would be irreplacable in that regard. Another consideration is that all cars, but the 9-3 in particular, has so low resale value that it's worth more to me than on the market.

Lackluster's looking at Linears. Don't regret not being able to afford an Arc or Aero. For the 2005's, I chose the Linear because I thought it was the best of the 3. True, the hp rating is lower than the 210 hp for the other models, but there are some advantages. The smaller turbo has more pep in the city around the 0-40 mph and maybe even 0-55 range. The AC controls are much simpler to see and use. The radio is also easier to see and use. (It fewer speakers but all 9-3 radios are really just made for news and not music). The black interior trim looks better to me than the plastic wood. Wheel differences doesn't matter since the 16" wheels are good for snow tires and you can get 17" wheels for summer use. With the Aero, you still need to buy 16" wheels, except for winter use. Fog lights are not standard as in the Aero but easy to put in. The Linear has intermittent wipers, adjustable for 5 different intermittent speeds, which I like much more than the rain sensor, which has a mind of its own and sweeps at irregular intervals.

As far as bargaining, you have to use your own judgement. The asking price seems in the right ballpark so you're not getting cheated. Whether it's a very low price or just an average price, I'm not sure.

Once you get your car, show us a picture or at least give us a link to another website, such as photobucket or cardomain.
Lol easier to use controls? It took my a day to figure them out... Someone has to be technologically retarded to not figure them out tbh. With more controls comes more options and customization.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Jet_Vector View Post
Lol easier to use controls? It took my a day to figure them out... Someone has to be technologically retarded to not figure them out tbh. With more controls comes more options and customization.
So you enjoy a blast of hot air in your face EVERY time you start up the car huh? Apart from the cooled glovebox I really don't see anything good about the ACC. And at first I thought the black trim was boring looking but now after all this time the fake brushed metal look has passed for me and I'm a lot happier I don't have it in my car. Though I'd love to have Aero seats if I could get them with manual foward/rear distance adjustment. I just hate having to wait while power seats slowly move back after letting the ball and chain drive the car.

For the 05's there really isn't that good of a reason to buy the Arc's/Aero's... All the cars came with 5 speeds (the 6 speed was unavailable), many linears in 05 came with Aero brake setups (mine), some came with Aero suspensions (also mine).

So for an extra 9k you really didn't get that much in 05.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff View Post
So you enjoy a blast of hot air in your face EVERY time you start up the car huh? Apart from the cooled glovebox I really don't see anything good about the ACC. And at first I thought the black trim was boring looking but now after all this time the fake brushed metal look has passed for me and I'm a lot happier I don't have it in my car. Though I'd love to have Aero seats if I could get them with manual foward/rear distance adjustment. I just hate having to wait while power seats slowly move back after letting the ball and chain drive the car.

For the 05's there really isn't that good of a reason to buy the Arc's/Aero's... All the cars came with 5 speeds (the 6 speed was unavailable), many linears in 05 came with Aero brake setups (mine), some came with Aero suspensions (also mine).

So for an extra 9k you really didn't get that much in 05.

Hmm, that doesn't happen to me... Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

To be honest though there is just something about Linears that makes them not look so good. Not sure what it is, maybe it's a preference thing. Strictly from a cosmetic stand point.

But you're also forgetting the sports suspension and the high output turbo. Those are some pretty big things; most people these days (including myself) don't want to rip apart their car to put on after market turbos etc...

But hey, it's all preference.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't happen to me... Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

To be honest though there is just something about Linears that makes them not look so good. Not sure what it is, maybe it's a preference thing. Strictly from a cosmetic stand point.

But you're also forgetting the sports suspension and the high output turbo. Those are some pretty big things; most people these days (including myself) don't want to rip apart their car to put on after market turbos etc...

But hey, it's all preference.
My car came with the sport suspension as I have already noted. As for the turbo... It you buy into the GM marketing hype that the stock Mitsu is a high output turbo... well then... whatever floats your boat. The TD04 could be a high output part if it were bored out to fit a 18T compressor wheel. You have to remeber that the 02 viggen put down better numbers than the "technologically superior" 03 and on Aero's. The Vig by the way is a beast... And my old man still won't sell me his... Old ******* .

For the 5k I've spent on my car since buying it my car will make aero's look like poo-poo from a cosmetic and performance standpoint (the latter is for sub 280hp Aero's). But I do get your point about how for people that don't do squat with cars the aero sounds better.

A shortened list of what i've done so far...
Catalogue body kit and spoiler - Check
Coil-overs - Check
BSR Stage 3 - Check
Saab ICM3 and amp 2 - Check
Infinity speakers all around - Check
Front seat center panels replaced with perforated REAL leather - Check (Man, I love not having my rear end sweat in the summer anymore )

Bone stock yeah the aero looks nicer. But does it look 3-4k nicer...? (on a used car) Probably not.
Old 28th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG

Quote:
For the 5k I've spent on my car since buying it my car will make aero's look like poo-poo from a cosmetic and performance standpoint (the latter is for sub 280hp Aero's). But I do get your point about how for people that don't do squat with cars the aero sounds better.

Coil-overs - Check
BSR Stage 3 - Check
Front seat center panels replaced with perforated REAL leather - Check (Man, I love not having my rear end sweat in the summer anymore )

Bone stock yeah the aero looks nicer. But does it look 3-4k nicer...? (on a used car) Probably not.
Most people wouldn't go through the effort that you have done on your Linear. I'm curious about the perforated leather on your seats, did you do that yourself? Do you have any pics?
Old 29th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Quote:
My car came with the sport suspension as I have already noted. As for the turbo... It you buy into the GM marketing hype that the stock Mitsu is a high output turbo... well then... whatever floats your boat. The TD04 could be a high output part if it were bored out to fit a 18T compressor wheel. You have to remeber that the 02 viggen put down better numbers than the "technologically superior" 03 and on Aero's. The Vig by the way is a beast... And my old man still won't sell me his... Old ******* .

Coil-overs - Check
BSR Stage 3 - Check

What ever floats your boat. Most I'll do to my vector is subs, 8000k xenons, and if I ever feel like it, chip my turbo. A lot less work and money going into my turbo. I've never really been a fan of the whole 'sleeper' scene, oh well maybe it's just me.
Old 29th September 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear Cosmic Blue

Yeah man. Where at in dayton are you. I'm here in miamisburg. You're right it is hard to find the saab you want around here.
Old 29th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamonkey View Post
Most people wouldn't go through the effort that you have done on your Linear. I'm curious about the perforated leather on your seats, did you do that yourself? Do you have any pics?
Had a shop do it for me. They do a lot of work for limo companies here in the city. Can't remeber the name of it though. They're over by where Shea stadium used to be.

To make a long story short... I got the seat covers for free from an Linear that had been totaled and the leather on the seats was damaged so the junkyard gave me the seat covers for free when I sourced a few parts from the car for my upcoming upgrade (TD-04). Only the seat panels were damaged so I had the shop undo the stitching and just replace the panels with perforated leather. That allowed me to keep my original seat covers just in case... But those pieces of crap are already cracked on the driver's seat after 1 year of ownership. "Normal wear and tear" my foot.

Most good upholstery shops should be able to do the same... You just have to be really picky about where you get your leather from. For mine I had to wait almost a month and a half for the shop to get their hands on the leather and then send it out again to get it perforated. But in the end it was well worth the wait.

As for photos I'll try to get around to it since the only camera I have is my cell phone and the data cable is at my ball & chain's parent's place (another long story).
Old 29th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
What ever floats your boat. Most I'll do to my vector is subs, 8000k xenons, and if I ever feel like it, chip my turbo. A lot less work and money going into my turbo. I've never really been a fan of the whole 'sleeper' scene, oh well maybe it's just me.
Nah... Volvo turbo bricks... Now those are sleepers.

(You know... the fugly boxy 90's Volvos)
Old 29th September 2009

My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

Dfunk, East Side of Dayton (Belmont).

Thanks for all the replies. I do loathe the whole negotiation thing but I suppose it is a necessary evil. I made my life more complicated though because i have found an 05 Arc for the same price, just higher mileage. I have to decide whether the increased accessories etc are worth the 32k more miles. My eyes say yes, but the brain is still not convinced
Old 29th September 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear Cosmic Blue

Local seller? or a dealership. Jack walker by the dayton mall had a 05 vert for sale I think for 11,900 which is what I payed for mine 2 years ago.
Old 29th September 2009

My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector BCB Stage 2

Quote:
Which speakers did you go with? I just picked up an 03 Linear, and ANY stock Saab speaker system sucks. It's totally driving me nuts. I thought I would upgrade the deck after I bought the car. Surprise! Not so easy...
Old 29th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Which speakers did you go with? I just picked up an 03 Linear, and ANY stock Saab speaker system sucks. It's totally driving me nuts. I thought I would upgrade the deck after I bought the car. Surprise! Not so easy...
Kappa's in the doors at 2ohm.

The rest are refrence series at 4 ohm.

If you try to put in 2 ohm speakers anywhere but the doors you run the risk of frying your amps.

For the rear 6x9 you only need 2way speakers since the 6x9's only get low freq's and act as subwoofers in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement