New to me saab '87 900s - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th September 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1987 Saab 900s
Default New to me saab '87 900s

Just a generic howdy here I am post... just picked up my first ever saab... been eyeballin them for a few years now I love odd looking cars

Paid $550 for it

CV's are clicking both sides (but it came with two napa refurb front axles still in the box)

Muffler is loud and there may be an additional exhaust leak somewhere, haven't had a chance to investigate yet.

Spedo / Odo no worky, It stopped in 2006 w/ 186K on it (according to the last oil change sticker in the window) I assume cable but, again have not investigated.

Something wrong with 5th gear (synchro?) it's tricky to get it in @ speed

Has a blaupunkt head unit which is kind of crumby I'll probably change it out.

The Antenna is broken off, but I hear the motor going, so that needs some replacing.

Drivers side mirror glass is missing, but the housing and mechanics are all there and working..

Heater controls seem to be wonky.. and kind of never go off or adjust to what the knob says

All that said though I'm putting a 100 miles a day on 'er and have NO issues, it's a pretty stable and fun car to drive.

here is a picture, a buddy took while we were cruisin (euro car club, end of summer ride).

Any hints on fixing the above stuff? I'm told the axles are a fairly easy job...
Muffler I will just take to the muffler shop.
Transmission, Im thinking probably not worth the $$$ of a trans tech, drive it til it breaks and then decide what to do

The rest seems like pretty easy garage work

Last edited by blakethornton; 25th September 2009 at 02:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 86 & 87 Flatnose T'verts, 86 SPG, 89T

I'm told that there is a plastic gear that comes loose on the odometer and it can be repaired. Do a search and you'll probably find a thread describing the remedy.

The axles are not so difficult. There is a thread on here somewhere that gives a pretty good description of the steps necessary.

The transmission may just need the linkage adjusted. Depends on what your definition of tricky to get into gear is since that's somewhat subjective. They can really run the gamut if they haven't been maintained. I had one that was tough to get far enough to the right to get into 5th which needed some adjustment and I now have one that goes TOO far to the right almost like you're going to go into reverse, which would also seem to be an adjustment issue. Try changing the transmission fluid as well with at least something like Mobil1 10w-30 full synthetic or I've also had good luck with Redline MTL. If those things don't help, the yeah, drive it 'til it breaks. Hopefully you won't be in the middle of nowhere in -20 degree weather when it finally gives up the ghost. Then again, you do live in Alaska.......
Old 25th September 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Welcome, cool 900S. I have an emblem off of one, I've had it for about 24 years, it's from a 900 that flew over a wall and crashed into a neighbors yard and tree.

I always wanted to own the rest of a SAAB, and now I'm on my second
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 25th September 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: Oh No, no Saabs!
Default Re: '87 900s

Looks pretty clean! Palo Alto Speedometer on the west coast can rebuild the speedo unit for you & they do good work. The whole dash cluster has to come out so read up about the different length screws. You may want to do the radio & speedo repair at the same time. On the side mirror, it will be a dealer item or lucky junk yard find. Different years have different colours of tint (brown vs. blue). Antenna sound like a mast if the motor runs. Get a copy of the Bentley manual & good luck.
Old 25th September 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

If the speedo itself isn't working either it is probably the cable... easily changed and checked
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 25th September 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                

The speedometer cable runs into the bottom part driver's side of the transmission. You can see if that is connected from underneath the car. The top part of the cable runs to the back of the instrument cluster. Sometimes, the plastic clip breaks on the back of the instrument cluster. A replacement cable fixes that. I think that the plastic gears in the transmission part of the speedometer cable are not sold anymore at some parts suppliers.

To remove the instrument cluster, see the Bentley 900 manual. It is a bit of work, and there are several connectors on the back of it that you need to remove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement