Front bumper/spoiler damage - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31-08-09

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Sport Combi
Default Front bumper/spoiler damage

My wife and daughter have been using the front of our saab as a shovel! The front spoiler and black grill directly above are damaged.

I've found the spoiler and protective undertray for the radiator. I cannot find out what holds the black grill to the spoiler (see where my finger is pointing) or any parts diagram. What holds that together?

Do I need to take the front bumper off to make the repairs?

thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saab1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	13807   Click image for larger version

Name:	saab2.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	13808  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03' 93 Vector - Silver (WOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVsaab06 View Post
My wife and daughter have been using the front of our saab as a shovel! The front spoiler and black grill directly above are damaged.

I've found the spoiler and protective undertray for the radiator. I cannot find out what holds the black grill to the spoiler (see where my finger is pointing) or any parts diagram. What holds that together?

Do I need to take the front bumper off to make the repairs?

thank you,
I think its some metal clips on the back side...Or the regular plastic tabs you find on most plastics snapped together. I thought I saw metal though
Old 31-08-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector 2.0T

Geez... ouchy.
Old 31-08-09

Smile

If anyone has an exploded view of the front bumper/spoiler/grill area, I could identify parts and fasteners. My lower black grill above the spoiler is loose and I'm sure there are tabs etc which hold this together. But, I can't find any pictures or diagrams of the parts.

I did find, in the archives, a great description of front bumper removal. I just don't want to take it off without having the parts necessary to put everything back together.

thanks for any help/diagrams/info
Old 31-08-09

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0T ARC

front spoiler and black grill do not touch at all. The blakc grill is integrated into the bumper. you can remove the front lip by just pulling it outward which will release the tabs. Im not to sure how to take the black grill out tho
Old 01-09-09

Cool

My mistake in writing. The black grill part does not touch the spoiler directly. It does touch the thin strip directly below and I think there is some type of fastener which bonds the two. I can see notches where the black vertical parts of the lower grill must fit into the bottom of bumper. (right where my finger is pointing in the picture above)

Anyone have a diagram of this bumper section which labels parts? Or, do you know where I can buy a manual etc which would show part numbers and how everything fits together. I've done a bunch of searching and can't find anything for this area?
Old 08-09-09

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 aero
Default same problem, looking for parts

where'd you source your parts? For my 9-5 I need to find a replacement spoiler and the protective undertray for the radiator. Wish I could blame my damage on my wife and daughter!
Old 08-09-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0T Vector | AT | Laser Red

I wouldn't let the wife or daughter ever drive your car again... That is complete negligence, and being a woman isn't a good enough excuse for something like that, lol.
Old 08-09-09
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMerriman View Post
and being a woman isn't a good enough excuse for something like that, lol.
depends what mood she's in

I had to respray mine a couple of months ago. I removed all the trim push type clips from underneath and the 8mm headed screws from each end and then just (bravely) pulled the skirt off. Maybe your being too kind.....as the bishop said to the actress...'Give it a good tug'
Old 09-09-09
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2004 VTuned Aero

Anybody done anything to secure the lip more? Mine seems to hang low. Not sure if thats just how its supposed to be but I can push the whole thing up with my hand and then it drops about 1/2 inch when I let go. Normal?
Old 09-09-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Turbo X Sedan 6-Speed Navi

1) W/o headlamp washer Jack 2) Screw Screw Back 3) Side bracket Side bracket Right 4) Molding Right 5) Molding Left 6) Tow eye cap 7) Cover Right 8) Upper grille Center 9) Outer Outer Right 10) Upper grille Rivet 11) Lower grille Center 12) Outer Outer Right 13) Absorber 14) Impact bar 15) License bracket 16) Spoiler Black 17) Splash shield 18) Bolt Bolt Back 19) U-nut U-nut Back 20) Support Right 21) Nut Nut Back 22) Inner seal Back 23) Temp sensor
You should show the year of the car in your sig.

This is for a 2007.
UltimatePedals, USASpec PA-20GM iPod/Connects2-BTAV1, Llumar ATR15 tint rear, H&R spacers, Borbet-XL/Dunlop M3 18x8" winters, SAAB Euro Badge, Ital black frames, TurboX watch and driving gloves...Dart Vader's own anyday now
Old 09-09-09
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gs04aero View Post
Anybody done anything to secure the lip more? Mine seems to hang low. Not sure if thats just how its supposed to be but I can push the whole thing up with my hand and then it drops about 1/2 inch when I let go. Normal?
Mine's the same.
Old 04-11-09

I've been putting off the repair. Today I jacked the car up so I could look around underneath. I took off the damaged air shield, that looks easy to replace. The kicker is the lower front black grille. I think that is part of the whole bumper. Looks like the black grille pops over some plastic vertical pieces which are built in.

I can replace the engine air shield and the front spoiler lip but will still have the "hanging" front spoiler problem. I think if you've banged the front a bit, it breaks the plastic vertical structure behind the black grille. That would account for the dropping 1/2" or so. Bummer is... I may have to replace the whole bumper to fix that!

What do you think?
Old 04-11-09

Ohh, and to answer an earlier question. I've looked around for the parts. Seems SaabUSA parts is the cheapest I've found.
Old 17-11-09

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 Linear

The vertical posts of the bumper cover are broken on my car as well. The previous owner hit a parking barrier or something, just enough to pop the vertical posts and put some 'spider web' cracks in the paint, and one crack in base PP material in the corner of the passenger side. I had him knock $500 off of the purchase price to allow for repairs, since that's what I guessed it would cost to have a new cover painted & installed. But after doing a little more research here it looks like that was too low. Seems like I'll pay more than that for an unpainted cover if I buy new. Oh well, live & learn.

I'll eventually get the bumper cover replaced, but am hoping to get through the winter with a temporary repair. That way I won't feel as bad if I happen to accidentally bump a parking curb, since I'm still getting used to this car.

I think I'm going to pull the bumper cover off this weekend and try doing a temporary repair myself. Looks like I should be able to put some screws into the vertical supports from the top side, and use some fender washers or something along those lines to re-attach the posts where they broke off from the main surface of the bumper cover. Hopefully that will provide enough support to hold the bottom lip up under the wind load at highway speeds, and prevent any further damage.

Anybody think that will work, or am I wasting my time?

Am I right in my concern that I will cause further damage if I just keep driving the car in it's current state? Or should I just not worry about it until I can get it fixed the right way?
Old 17-11-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 06' 2.0T

Those black inserts were a pain in *** for me to get off. I took the complete front apart.
Old 17-11-09

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 Linear

I figured I'd have to take the whole front bumper cover off to work on it. The cover sits pretty much right up against the actual bumper in the area I'm going to try to add screws to. Should be plenty of space to work with once I get it off, and I may not even need to mess with popping the black lower grill pieces off of the cover.

Any special tips for getting the bumper cover off? From looking at the car and the diagram posted above, it seems like there are just a few screws, some plastic rivets, and some snap features holding the entire bumper cover assembly on.

If I'm oversimplifying this and there are some hidden screws or something, I'd be glad to hear about it before I end up causing more damage to the cover in the process of trying to fix it.
Old 17-11-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9 Arc 2.0T 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevputo View Post
I figured I'd have to take the whole front bumper cover off to work on it. The cover sits pretty much right up against the actual bumper in the area I'm going to try to add screws to. Should be plenty of space to work with once I get it off, and I may not even need to mess with popping the black lower grill pieces off of the cover.

Any special tips for getting the bumper cover off? From looking at the car and the diagram posted above, it seems like there are just a few screws, some plastic rivets, and some snap features holding the entire bumper cover assembly on.

If I'm oversimplifying this and there are some hidden screws or something, I'd be glad to hear about it before I end up causing more damage to the cover in the process of trying to fix it.
There are no hidden screws. There are the nuts and screws to get out in the wheel wells, and the plastic rivets on the top of the grille area. Then it sort of "pops" out of the joints on the fender areas, and comes right off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement