Removing headlight assembly and/or Xenon Control Unit - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th August 2009

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Linear
Default Removing headlight assembly and/or Xenon Control Unit

does anybody know hoe to remove the xenon control unit or headlight assembly on the 9-3s? My headlight failed and I believe it is the control unit underneath the headlight assembly but I don't know how to get to it. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th August 2009

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: Searching......

I just removed the bumper cover to fix a 'loose' or vibrating headlight and did not notice a control module under the headlight housing. Granted I was not looking for one, but there was nothing directly under or attached to the bottom of the headlight housing.

There is a bolt on the fender side of the headlight, and an interesting clip on the bottom, that are only accessible by removing the bumper cover. Removing the cover is not that difficult, but you are going to mess up some of the plastic 'pin spread' clips so buy some spares. I have read here on the forum that if you disconnect the headlight it will trigger an error that would have to be reset by the dealer. Please search. That said, you may be able to remove the headlight housing and see what is behind as far as a control module.

A lot of words to not answer the question, but hopefully it is more helpful than 'do a search' comment.
Old 15th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 05 93 2.0T and 04 BMW M3

would i have to take off the bumper cover to access the turn signal bulb, im switching them to silverstars.
Old 15th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3SC 2.0T

The only way to get to the xenon ballast unit is to remove the headlamp. To remove the headlamp you need to remove the bumper. There are 3 bolts holding the headlamp to the car of which one of them is behind the bumper hence the bumper removal requirement. The xenon ballast unit is bolt on under the headlamp assembly.

Are you sure that it is not the igniter that is faulty? The igniter is the electronic unit that sits behind the xenon bulb.

Hope that helps.
Old 15th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9 2.0T Custom E85 tune by JZW
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
would i have to take off the bumper cover to access the turn signal bulb, im switching them to silverstars.
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/LightingGuide/e-fturn.htm Its the lighting guide. Tells you how to replace all your bulbs
Old 15th August 2010

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: Saab 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksjs View Post
does anybody know hoe to remove the xenon control unit or headlight assembly on the 9-3s? My headlight failed and I believe it is the control unit underneath the headlight assembly but I don't know how to get to it. Any help would be great!
saab 93 oem ballast is this type.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement