Extra 60 HP anyone? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd September 2003

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
Default Extra 60 HP anyone?

These guys claim they can add 60 Hps to the 93's 1.8t 150 Hp engine ...

http://www.superchips.co.uk

their dealer here says this can be done via upgrading the ECU's software alone... not yet available but coming soon ... is it that simple ? Has anyone used Superchip before? any info on this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd September 2003

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                

60 horsies just from engine management? i am skeptical. i think it's very possible if you dump all the cats from the exhaust AND add engine management.

i saw their dyno map, but i'd like to have someone i know dyno the car before and after.
Old 23rd September 2003

It depends i suppose.You can get piggy back ECUs which do just that,sit on top and take care of all things relating to power,you can have a straight chip swop or a programme remap.Personally,i would trust my car to a tuner who knows the map and will check the car out properly.

The chip is probably nearer 20bhp tbh,although with turboed cars the gains are significantly higher than with n/a
Old 23rd September 2003

The power increase is possible. Hirsch, the 'home tuner' for saab has a chip available that increases 45hp (from 150 to 195) See www.hirsch-perfomance.ch/motor.htm . The chip from superchips claims to increase 61hp. I don't know what's different here. The price info of the chip from Hirsch is not made available but my dealer said to expect 2000 euros.
Old 23rd September 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
Default Re: Extra 60 HP anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_jam
These guys claim they can add 60 Hps to the 93's 1.8t 150 Hp engine ...

http://www.superchips.co.uk

their dealer here says this can be done via upgrading the ECU's software alone... not yet available but coming soon ... is it that simple ? Has anyone used Superchip before? any info on this ?
I'm wondering Is that a Advertising HP up
or
Actual HP up :-??
60 ++ hp from ECU... I doubt it :P
Old 24th September 2003

thanx guys ... things are clearer now ...

Is true that Hirsch tuning will not void the SAAB's warranty ? anyone knows?
Old 24th September 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY09 93sw TTiD Aero. '66 Healey 3000

Quote:
thanx guys ... things are clearer now ...

In the UK you can buy Hirsch upgrades from your Saab dealer BUT only for the 95.
ECU upgrade for 95 is 280bhp (Aero from 250bhp)
Old 24th September 2003

Quote:
Iam told that all parts from Hirsch are installable by (specialized) saab dealers and that you keep your warranty through saab. In the past Hirsch would take over the warrenty but saab and hirsch made some kind of pact so now saab wil provide warranty over the installed hirsch parts.
Old 24th September 2003
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 9-3SS

with saab seeing red for so many years, it's doubtful that they'll take on any additional liability; especially in the form of extending a warranty to outside tuners.
Old 25th September 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 206 93 Combi
Default chip

Im not sure they rate Hp the same as we do here. In Germany it PS and KW.
Old 25th September 2003
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 03 9-3SS
Default Re: chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by danncas
Im not sure they rate Hp the same as we do here. In Germany it PS and KW.
Unless I'm missing something:

PS = Pferdestärken (German: horse power)

do they calculate it differently?
Old 25th September 2003
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2002                                                

[quote="HEF"]60 horsies just from engine management? i am skeptical. i think it's very possible if you dump all the cats from the exhaust AND add engine management.
[quote]

Not a superchips fan... but..

I've a 9-5, with ecu, and got a cast iron 76bhp horsepower increase, and a useful 111nm of torque extra too.

So yes it is possible with upgraded software, saab has left a lot of tuning potential in the map...
Old 25th September 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphwiz
Not a superchips fan... but..

I've a 9-5, with ecu, and got a cast iron 76bhp horsepower increase, and a useful 111nm of torque extra too.

So yes it is possible with upgraded software, saab has left a lot of tuning potential in the map...
really!? is that wheel horse power, or crank hp as guesstimated by the retailer? i.e. did you dyno your car?

sorry for the skepticism mate, but i have been tuning cars (mostly wrx's) for 2 years and have never seen any engine management (ecu swap, piggyback chip, or ecu remap) yield much more than 35-40hp. and even those extra ponies are really walking a fine line with high egt's and boost pressure. but i have never touched a saab. i hope my 9-3 has your 9-5's potential!

cheers
Old 27th September 2003

Well HEF ... I think its a great thing you being a car tuner yourself ... but i hope you are wrong about "not much more than 35-40hp" .. I really would love to add those 60hp's on my car ...

I Dont know much about car mechanics, but is'nt the three 93 engines (1.8t 150Hp & 2.0t 175 2.0T 210 hp) all physically the same? it makes some kind of sense to me that SAAB just plays around with ECU power output tunning or whatever technical settings (i know nothin about) and voilla! you get three different Hp engines? does that make any sense? will you hire me at your worksop?
Old 27th September 2003

Quote:
I Dont know much about car mechanics, but is'nt the three 93 engines (1.8t 150Hp & 2.0t 175 2.0T 210 hp) all physically the same? it makes some kind of sense to me that SAAB just plays around with ECU power output tunning or whatever technical settings (i know nothin about) and voilla! you get three different Hp engines?
It doesnt quite work that way in this case. There are significant mechanical differences betwen these engines, most notably the camshafts and turbochargers themselves.

While it IS technically possible for recalibration or alterations to ECU software will result in large horsepower gains, it all depends on the engine and various choices made by the manufacturer with respect to things like induction, exhaust, fuel delivery system and injectors etc. Often software is NOT the bottle-neck.

The only reason there are ANY gains available through software is the factory ECU programming has entirely different priorities than your average enthusiast driver.
1. Emissions
2. mpg
3. General Drivability
4. Performance (horsepower, 0-100, etc)

1.Unfortunately for enthusiasts' they can't even bring a car to market that does not meet current emissions regulations (FTP) . Most regulated exhaust emissions are measured in grams of production per mile, therefore larger engines running with A/F ratios necessary to deliver more horsepower produce more emissions. I guess we should be concerned with the quality of the air our great-grand children will breath, so it's a catch-22.

2. Auto manufacturers that sell cars into the North American market must calculate their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and pay a tax to the Feds for every vehicle sold above an established standard. In 1999 auto manufacturers contributed $16 million dollars in penalties to the US Federal Reserve. A very informative web-site on CAFE regulations can be found here:
http://gm.com/company/gmability/publ...ment/cafe_101/

3. How you car operates when NOT under full power is very important to most average consumers. As horsepower goes up the manageability of the engine for conditions such as cold-starting and operation, stop and go traffic, and transitions in throttle request/demand becomes compromised.

If all you care about is WOT, top end, or lowest possible ET, ECU tuning mods can provide various levels of return. However, most become more evident after OTHER modifications such as camshaft grind, exhaust headers or intake/induction and other "flow" improvements.

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it! But at what cost? (You certainly will give up SOMETHING)

Lot's of outfits make all sorts of claims of "dyno-ed" horsepower via software and while some are legit, MANY are all "smoke and mirrors" with a lot of "fine print" in how those claims have been realized. I currently use a program called LS1edit to make subtle (or drastic) changes in the fuel and timing maps/tables on LS1 equipped Firebirds, Camaros and Corvettes. I WISH a commercial product like this was available for the Bosch/Saab T7 or T8 systems but as far as I have been able to determine there is NONE...yet

Although many tuning companies are claiming ECU mods are "coming soon”, I for one would be suspicious of any that offer a “deal” to become a beta-tester or to purchase the product prior to release.

JMO
WOT
Old 27th September 2003
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                

WOT -- Thanks --- Thats great info for those of us that are thinking of boosting their Linears capabilities.
Old 28th September 2003

nice ... thanx for the enlightment
Old 28th September 2003

yep,in the Impreza world there are well known rolling roads who er,slightly exaggerate the figs and there are those who most would trust to be somewhere near.
Old 28th September 2003

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour
Although many tuning companies are claiming ECU mods are "coming soon”, I for one would be suspicious of any that offer a “deal” to become a beta-tester or to purchase the product prior to release.

JMO
WOT
A guy I knew a long time ago was part of a testing program and had gotten some FREE mods from HKS to basically turn his '92 Eclipse Turbo into a 500 horsepower monster. 8) It was great until his engine literally exploded.

No beta testing for me.. no sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement