2006 Aero Battery Replacement yeah or nay??? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th July 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero V6
Default 2006 Aero Battery Replacement yeah or nay???

Saabers-

I am all worried on whether or not to replace an otherwise perfectly working battery in my 06 Saab 9-3 Aero. I only have 33K and everything works great, battery works great. But after reading all the posts, should I envoke preventative maintanence and replace the battery. Should I have it tested for AMPS? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 ARC - Sold

test the battery first.

Some symptoms I noticed before my battery died:
*flickering sid
*poor idle
*starting problems

These symptoms came out of the blue and one morning it would not start. My speedo went crazy and light's flickering then message on the SID "Immobilizer failure"

Changed the battery and no problems since.

Old 16th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                

Batts are strange like that. My battery according to records of previous owner and my own experience is OEM to the car. No records of a battery change and its a saab battery. When my ignition switch died, i took out the battery and replaced with a new just due to the fact its nearly 7 years old. Turns out like i said it was the ignition switch. My saab battery now resides in my volvo. Still sending the juice.

You should replace a battery only when it tests bad. Don't make a silly mistake like me .
Old 16th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithos the Hero View Post
Batts are strange like that. My battery according to records of previous owner and my own experience is OEM to the car. No records of a battery change and its a saab battery. When my ignition switch died, i took out the battery and replaced with a new just due to the fact its nearly 7 years old. Turns out like i said it was the ignition switch. My saab battery now resides in my volvo. Still sending the juice.

You should replace a battery only when it tests bad. Don't make a silly mistake like me .
If the Saab battery is made in the USA, has removable vent caps, or says "Norcross, GA" anywhere on it, it's not OEM.

The OEM battery in my Saab doesn't say Saab on it, it says GM, does not have removable vent caps on it, and doesn't give any indication as to where it was made.
Old 16th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3SS Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalee View Post
Saabers-

I am all worried on whether or not to replace an otherwise perfectly working battery in my 06 Saab 9-3 Aero. I only have 33K and everything works great, battery works great. But after reading all the posts, should I envoke preventative maintanence and replace the battery. Should I have it tested for AMPS? Any thoughts?
I suppose the ultimate decision is up to you but, my recent experience was..... I started my car to come home from work and the battery sounded weak (you know that sound) didn't think too much of it. Later that night the wife and I get in the car and click-click-click. Other than those two things I had zero warning that it might go. Thats was my experience. BTW my 9-3 was built June 06 iirc. but I had about 60-65k miles when the battery died.

So again, your decision. But your battery will die, its just a game of when and more importantly where.
Old 16th July 2009

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 08 9-3 Aero, 06 Audi S4, 95 Skyline GTR

My feeling is that anything over 3 years is a gift. The batt in my 04 tested bad at the 30k service, but the vehicle still started ok

Big difference in cranking speed with the new batt

in the end, it's up to you. The battery is often fine right up to the moment when it isn't and then you are stuck. Is it worth saving a few $ to eek out another year and risk getting stranded? For me, the answer is no.
Old 16th July 2009

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Aero 6spd manual

my '06 Aero has similar mileage on it and I planning to get it tested which will likely result in the preventative replacement come the fall as this past winter it was definitely slower to turn over especially if parked outside i.e. 10-20 F.
Old 16th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

I'm still running my OEM battery in my 05 and is still going strong. Get it tested and if its fine then just leave it be. Why throw money down the drain when the battery isn't actually acting up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement