Driving coast to coast, what to see. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 9000 CSE 5 speed; Porsche 928
Garage
Default Driving coast to coast, what to see.

Somewhere around late august I will be driving moving to san francisco, ca from nj. I got into a grad school there, so, will probably spend next 6 years there. Ill be driving a penske truck and towing my 9000 on a car carrier behind. The whole trip will take about 10 days and I would like to take this opportunity to see some things with my gf. So, does anyone has any advice on what to see in the middle of US?

Thanks,

Klim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd

Hate to break it to ya, but there's not very much exciting stuff in the middle of the country.

- Yellowstone?

What route are you taking?
Old 2nd July 2009

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT5 View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but there's not very much exciting stuff in the middle of the country.
What ?!? Whaddya mean nothing exciting:

Bemidji, Minnesota

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero M/T

stop by Chicago, The Sears Tower has a new thing where you can stand in a glass box overlooking the city, looks cool im gonna check it out myself
Old 2nd July 2009
Super Moderator EMERITUS

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero.

Your timing should be just about right for Burning Man Aug 31st-Sept 7. Maybe you'd be too late, depends on when you leave.
Old 2nd July 2009

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

There's this in AZ:

And this in WY:

And this in NV:

Etc ....

Just hearsay, they seem kind of obscure

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Yeah, I was thinking about Las Vegas. I have traveled quite a bit in Utah and Colorado. I could do that again, but was wondering if there were any other interesting things to do.

Here is the tentative road, but if anyone has any suggestions I will be happy to change it. This one is just the shortest and that truck gets 10mpg at best

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Prin...rancisco&2s=CA

It seems we will be passing through Pennsilvania, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and Ca. So, my plan is to power through PA, IN, stop by in CHicago, power through Iowa and Nebraska, stop by in Wyoming in the national park (is it yellostone?), hang around utah a bit, then power through nevada, stop by Las Vegas and then I gues just finish in SF.

Any suggestions? I will have about 10 days. I do like driving non stop, so, I should be able to cover atleast 600 miles a day (hopefully more) if not stopping.

Klim
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Garage

School starts Sept 1st, so, can't quite do the burning man this year Next year though

Klim
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero VTuner Stg 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
What ?!? Whaddya mean nothing exciting:

Bemidji, Minnesota

HA!!!!! Bemidji....I'd say that is the ONLY thing to see in the upper midwest. I went to school out that way, and I'll tell you...unless you like seeing acre after acre of beets and wheat, Paul Bunyan and Blue are really not worth the detour up there.

1976 Fiat 124 Spyder

2000 Saab 93 SE HOT
Old 2nd July 2009

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 base

These posts about the midwest remind of an early South Park episode, the south park kids are driving out west with Charles Manson and they enter Nebraska, the sign reads: "Welcome to Nebraska, We're Sorry". The horizon changes from green healthy forests and homes to flat, brown grasslands instantly, hilarious.
Old 2nd July 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3

Driving a truck with a car in tow is a major drag!

You can't fit in parking spaces and have to stick to major roads. You may continually thing "is this place worth the effort of getting there?"

Choose a route, then find things nearby unless there is a special place that you must visit. I think the Chicago-Kansas City-Denver-Wyoming-Reno route is the shortest, not the Atlanta-Dallas-Los Angeles-San Francisco.

If you like architecture, then it's easy to select buildings to see. If you just have general interests, consider Hershey's chocolate factory tour in Hershey, PA, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-Cleveland, Amish community in Shipshewana, Indiana near interstate between Toledo, OH and Chicago, general stuff in Chicago, U.S. Grant home in Galena, IL, Gateway Arch-St. Louis, Berlin Wall segment and Fulton College (site of Churchill's Iron Curtain speech) not far off the I-70 highway between St. Louis and Kansas City, Atomic Cannon not far off I-70 at Fort Riley, KS, Eisenhower presidential home and museum-Abilene, KS, scenic hills over Boulder, CO, Fort Caspar Museum in Casper, WY, Mormon Temple-Salt Lake City, walk around small town of Elko, NV, Yosemite, San Francisco.

If you like airplanes, maybe there are airplane museums on the route. The same goes with cars.

If you take the northern route, then you can see Minnesota, the Larry Craig memorial bathroom at Minneapolis Airport , the largest mall in the US at Mall of America, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc.
Old 2nd July 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch 93 View Post

If you like architecture, then it's easy to select buildings to see. If you just have general interests Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-Cleveland, Amish community in Shipshewana, Indiana
or the football Hall of Fame in nearby Canton, Ohio. Or Amish contry about an hour east of Cleveland on your way in. The Great Lakes Science Center in downtown Cleveland. The Cleveland Metropolitan Museum of Art (huge new renovations, just re-opened, and totally free). or Edgewater Park, one of the nicest beaches on America's "NorthCoast"!

I will buy dinner if you come this way.

Damn right I love my town!
Old 2nd July 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

I was once in Cleveland airport, I had a friend with me who lived there and he went home, I had a layover. He was all mad to be back in Cleveland
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 01 9-5 Wagon (RIP); 05 9-5 Aero (gone)

U.S. Air Force museum in Dayton OH.

Indianapolis Speedway and museum in Indianapolis IN.
Old 2nd July 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 1999 vert, 1991 c900

The museum in Dayton is amazing, I went when I was a younger.

I'm doing the same thing (my grad school starts sept 20ish). I'm going from PA to CA. I'm thinking of hitting chicago and yellowstone. I'm not sure about the other parts yet. I'm going to rough it with either driving the c900 out or the 9-3 (I haven't decided which one I want to keep/take with me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement