AS2 Parcel Shelf Subwoofers?? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th June 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3SS Aero
Default AS2 Parcel Shelf Subwoofers??

Ok so I have been doing a fair bit of research into the 9-5 audio system and I am very keen to upgrade the speakers in my almost standard AS2 system.

I have already replaced the front door speakers with a set of 165mm Focal's from a component set (Focal 165A1) I had lying around and have heard an improvement in bass clarity/definition since their introduction. That said I am still not happy with the amount, it seems to be lacking the much lower frequencies and isn't as lively as I'd like.

To help remedy this I am looking into getting some 6x9's (ideally subs only if I can find a pair or find a cheap pair of the genesis ones.)
My main question though is what do I need to do with regards to connecting them up? Is the wiring there already or do I have to buy an amplifier?
(Unfortunately I have just sold a Genesis Profile 4 amplifier, which may well have been useful.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+

With AS2 there is no wiring or power for the parcel shelf subs. You will need an aftermarket amplifier. Fortunately this gives you way more options for speakers, as you would need 2 ohm 6x9 subwoofers for an AS3 system, which as far as I can tell, do not exist outside of OEM applications.

My install has an aftermarket amplifier powering the front speakers and a subwoofer. I also have a switch on the subwoofer channel, so when I remove it, two Tang Band 6x9 subwoofers on the parcel shelf turn on. These are nowhere near as good as a real dedicated subwoofer however, so I only use them as a holdover.

>>> THE Stereo Upgrade Thread <<<
Old 29th June 2009

I had a funny feeling that's what the answer was going to be. Damn!!

How different are the AS2 & AS3 amplifiers? I don't suppose the pins are there but just not used so they can be tapped into, are they?

Since I'd rather not spend hundreds of pounds upgrading the audio, (especially after spending a fortune getting the parts to fix mechanical stuff,) What is the best upgrade I can do to the current system in order to get the very best out of it?
With budget or not much more than 250 (~$400 at today's exchange rates) what would you do?

Best you know that I am very much an amateur audiophile with regards to home audio, so I'd favour better quality sound over power/watts any day.
I have also performed the MP3 mod so shall primarily be playing high quality MP3 from my Ipod Touch 2G
Old 29th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+

The as2/as3 amps are pin compatible. You would have to insert and run wires for the subwoofers however. Unfortunately the AS3 amp doesn't work all that well powering aftermarket 6x9 subwoofers, since the factory pieces are high efficiency 2 ohm drivers, and I have not seen a suitable match. Though I personally think upgrading these speakers is the wrong way to go for bass. A proper setup would require sealing them, or completely separating the airspace in the trunk from the cabin to minimize cancellation from reflected backwaves.

For $400 you should easily be able to get an aftermarket amplifier, subwoofer and wiring kit. I would avoid cheap flea market brands like the plague however. Used equipment from a reputable car audio manufacturer will do you much better.

>>> THE Stereo Upgrade Thread <<<
Old 29th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipud View Post
For $400 you should easily be able to get an aftermarket amplifier, subwoofer and wiring kit. I would avoid cheap flea market brands like the plague however. Used equipment from a reputable car audio manufacturer will do you much better.
Oh god, no! I would never touch the cheap amps and speakers...even with a barge pole!! Like you say, I would much rather buy good condition parts of much much higher quality.

Ok, so at the moment I am going to look out for a decent second hand amp, a decent pair of 6x9's (ideally not full range), a decent pair of 3.5" full range speakers for the dash.
Old 29th June 2009
SaabNut!

My Saabs: '04 9-5

as3 amp costs $60-100 on ebay. need to run wires and pins into the existing wiring harness (slots are there and open though).

Infinity makes some kappa 2ohm 6x9's. Have both 2way and 3way speaker options, even though all that is useless with the as3 amp so no point in paying the premium for 3way. About $100 on ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement