Coolant Leak? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th June 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9000 CSE
Exclamation Coolant Leak?

Hey guys,

About a week ago I changed the coolant. Driving to work this morning and the check Radiator light came on - I checked the coolant and it was all pretty much gone! Any advice on where too look or what to do? Is this an expensive fix?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th June 2009

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: saab 9000, 2.3 turbo

did you run the car upto temperature with the cap off after you filled it, maybe its got a air lock in it, had that before, is the car running fine other than the disapearing coolant, any smoke, steam - running problems
Old 14th June 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                

how did you drain the old coolant out? I'd check there 1st......
Secondly, as suggested above, refill and run up to temp with the expansion tank cap off.

How many miles have you done since the change? if not many, then look around the engine bay & on the ground for obvious leaks - try the core plugs in the block, they do tend to corrode a bit (not a lot from a dealer/online supplier).
9000 CS Carlsson
Old 14th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Probably an air lock was passed through to the expansion tank via the self bleeding line (small diameter hose running from the top of the radiator to the top of the expansion tank). Refill with 50/50 water antifreeze to the MAX line and drive. I'm beting this will remain at MAX.

It is VERY common for air to remain somewhere in the system after it has been drained and refilled. This is why that bleed hose is there. After a few miles, or hundred miles, the air moves through to the top of the radiator end tank and gets transferred to the top of the expansion tank. Coolant from the tank fills the air space, essentially transferring that air space to the expoansion tank where you see it.

Using a non factory thermostat without a bleed hole and valve can delay the air bleeding process because the air cannot pass into the radiator until the thermostat opens. Factory 'stats have a tiny hole with a wobble valve (metal plug that lifts easily if air reaches the thermostat housing) to pass air even when the engine is cold.
Old 15th June 2009

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: saab 9000, 2.3 turbo

had the exact problem when i done head gasket on my dads 9000, after starting it ran for about 15 min then all water dissapeared and i had to top it up a few times, i was expecting this so i was ready with a jug of water, need to run the car at fast idle with filler cap off until its as hot as you can get it within reason, i know its quite hard to get the fan on on these big beasts as the engine is merely idling, just keep the level topped up so it dont drag any more air in, once its stopped taking water, leave the cap off and let it cool down then recheck the level and thats the job done, id be surprised if it was anything more than a air lock, oh, put the heaters on full when trying to remove air locks,
Old 15th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Aero manual

Actually, the heater controls do nothing with the cooling system as SAAB uses a full flow, air blend system. Those controls only control cabin airflow and the AC compressor cycling on and off. The heater core is full flow with coolant at engine temperature regardless of outside temperature and regradless of climate settings in the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement