Shift up Warning durring low Rev's and other quirks. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th September 2003

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Default Shift up Warning durring low Rev's and other quirks.

Hey All,

New Saab owner here. Just got a '91 9000 after much research and debating

Anywho, I had a question for all of you. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's a little light on the dash that says shift up. Well, the quirky thing is, it's telling me to shift up when I'm getting low rev's (around 2k) and I know it's definetly not time to shift up :-? . Is there anyway to adjust the threshold of this little neat feature, or is this just the way they all are?

Secondly, when I go to unlock the doors, the hatchback motor/servo makes a terrible hi pitched wine/screech when unlocked. It's like the motor is trying to turn too far or something like that. Are there any solutions to this or do
I need to buy a new servo?

Finally, it appear as if one of the windows is off the track. The motor works fine (according to the seller) but the window is apparently not even connected. Any adivce or tips?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th September 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                

Welcome JayKay,
What model car are we dealing with here, CS, CD ?? I have similar cars of the same year and haven't got a change up light on any of them. What exactly is the symbol that is lighting up, location and colour? Its not the low water level light for the windscreen washers that flashes up as you accelerate by any chance is it??

To check the window, take the door panel off. You need to reomove 2 screws on each end of the storage tray, 2 screws hidden in the door handle, unclip the electric mirror switch to uncover another screw, remove door unlocking cover to uncover some more screws then the door open light cover is to be removed and look carfully inside and you will find another screw buried behind the polythene sheeting. Door card then unclips from the bottom and lifts up over the door lock tab. Unclip wire block connectors as you go. Sound more complicated than it actually is.
note:The window motors are virtually bomb proof compared to 900's so check the arm connection to the glass support.
Old 14th September 2003
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                

Depending on what window you are working on...if its the drivers door then check the locking mechanism at the same time...the linkage start to seize up giving the unlocking motor a hard time...oil all the linkages and see how you get on.
Old 14th September 2003

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Oops, forgot to mention the specs

It's a 1991 9000 n/a 5 spd (the base model).

The light in question is a little yellow indicator that has a small pictures of a stick shift and the workds "SHIFT UP" and it comes on when the tach starts to approach and/or leave the econo markings, but sometimes it comes on when I'm in low revs and too early to shift. It's on the same line as the rear window defroster light, a few inches left of it.

One more thing, my SRS light flashes then sticks on, I was told that all I need to clear this fault is to unplug battery for 30 mintes and it should be back to normal. Is this right?
Old 15th September 2003

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3 Turbo

I also have this somewhat irritating 'shift up' indicator...I read somewhere that it was made available on US models only (they must think Americans drive too many automatic cars!)

Not sure if you can adjust the setting, but anyway you'll probably find you ignore it after a while.
Old 19th September 2003
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

It's on US cars so that EPA testers will shift up and the car gets better gas milage on their tests. You could live by the light, and do the engine some good, but don't worry so much about it, ignore it. You could take out the bulb from it, but it seems more work than it is worth.
Old 21st September 2003

About those window motors. I don't know what the other poster was talking about, but mine were cable operated. There are 3 mounts to the door itself. These are 2 metal studs with rubber sandwiched in the middle that make up each mount. Often times what happens is that the rubber comes disconnected from the stud, allowing the motor to rotate, eventually, this shreads the cable and the window won't open or close. This happened to my front passenger window. The studs also broke in my driver door, I found this out and replaced them with solid steel studs. I also suspect this of my driver rear door, which works sometimes with help.

Stealth
Old 21st September 2003
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 1993 Sleeper

The “Shift-up” light should just say “shift” because it senses RPM and speed and then comes on… either way… upshift or downshift
Old 21st September 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhich
The “Shift-up” light should just say “shift” because it senses RPM and speed and then comes on… either way… upshift or downshift
It does actually say "Shift-Up". This light comes on when the RPMs are at or above 2000, the acceleration is very light (or negative) or the speed is constant, and the car is not in 5th gear. To be honest, it would make more sense if the threshold was at least 2500 RPM.

Stealth
Old 21st September 2003
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 1993 Sleeper

yes I know it says "shift up" but it will light up when it feels you should be down shifting too.
Old 23rd September 2003
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: None now
Garage

Mine 93 does the same thing, they did it with fuel echonomy in mind. Honestly, I just ignore mine most of the time. Also in regards to Markk's responce, the shift-up light only comes on American Saabs.
Old 23rd September 2003
Saabista

My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Looks like this btw:

<edit>look here, now it goes on at 6000rpm! I don't know if I'd pay 40$ US for it though - http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/saab/Upg...hiftLight.html </edit>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement