Convertible Top wont go Down "Manual Operation Only Take to Dealer" - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th May 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 6 Speed Aero 9-3 Convert
Default 2004 Aero 9-3 Convertible Top wont go Down "Manual Operation Only Take to Dealer"

Hello,

So I just bought a used Saab 2004 Aero 9-3 Convertible with 30k Miles this past friday. Already I'm having a problem with it =/

The top wont go down and everytime I put it into first gear (manual) it says open/close convertible before driving and then when I try to open/close it gives me error, saying manual operation only.

I dont want to take it to the dealer and pay $125 + whatever else they tack on. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Aaron

Last edited by aslowpoke2; 19th May 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: not clear enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

First thing I would do is contact your dealer that you got the car from. I think a lot of places give a 30 day warranty if the factory warranty is up, although I don't know this would be covered but, it wouldn't hurt to check. Other wise check fuses and electronic connections to see if something is blown or loose. Did the top work when you got the car, or did you not check it? Sorry I can't be more help than this but I don't have a vert, maybe someone with a vert will chime in and offer some advice. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowpoke2 View Post
Hello,

So I just bought a used Saab 2004 Aero 9-3 Convertible with 30k Miles this past friday. Already I'm having a problem with it =/

The top wont go down and everytime I put it into first gear (manual) it says open/close convertible before driving and then when I try to open/close it gives me error, saying manual operation only.

I dont want to take it to the dealer and pay $125 + whatever else they tack on. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Aaron
Old 19th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenbaugh View Post
First thing I would do is contact your dealer that you got the car from. I think a lot of places give a 30 day warranty if the factory warranty is up, although I don't know this would be covered but, it wouldn't hurt to check. Other wise check fuses and electronic connections to see if something is blown or loose. Did the top work when you got the car, or did you not check it? Sorry I can't be more help than this but I don't have a vert, maybe someone with a vert will chime in and offer some advice. Good Luck!
Got from a private party =/ and yes, did try it and it always seemed to be working before that...
Old 19th May 2009

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible
Default Weird

You know, my name is Aaron, and I ALSO just bought an 04 convertible and had some trouble... weird. Does the motor try to run to open the top? The top can be opened and closed manually (see your owner's manual), so does opening it, then trying to drive the car yield the same error? The error you're getting may be feedback from one of the sensors as not responding.
Old 19th May 2009

Yah-- Everytime I drive the car and put it into first gear, the error goes off.

However, sometimes it lets me open it automatically and other times it doesnt...I'm confused =/
Old 19th May 2009

My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible
Default Sensors

Sounds like an electronics problem, then. Check out the diagram on this page for where the sensors are: http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93conv...eparts03on.htm
Old 19th May 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 4 wheels & engine

Best advide is to go to a Saab dealer and get a readout of the faultcode.

This could just be a misaligned dipswitch.

Self diagnosis of the complex convertible tops is not easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement