c900 convertible to tow trailer with Sonett on it - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: `68 96V4; `69 Sonett V4; 2Xc900 airflow
Default c900 convertible to tow trailer with Sonett on it

So, I need to tranport a Sonett ~ 125 kms.
I was warned that it`s not adwisable to tow with a conwertible such a loads.
Could you comment if that would be OK to tow with c900 `vert a trailer loaded with Sonett (770 kgs). Don`t know the trailer` sweight but probably loaded with Sonett would make some 1300-1400 kgs (when my tow bar indicates 1500 kgs allowed with brakes).

So, would I be cincerned towing loads with a convertible (route if almost flat, so no steep hills and climbs).

I would really appreciate any advise on this!
Advertisement

Old 15th May 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '90 900T16 3dr - For Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurBads View Post
I would really appreciate any advise on this!
I dunno specifically about convertibles, and would have thought the towing weight a bit lower than tintops due to the greater kerb weight.

Until we sold it last year, we used to tow the 4x4 2cv (c.700kg or so) for dirty weekends. A decent car trailer's 400kg+ empty, so for the Sonnet you're probably about right on the 1300kg.

The XM used to tow that quite happily, at anything up to very naughty speeds.
The 900? MUCH less happy. Even with the rear suspension almost fully rebuilt, it was a MUCH less stable combo. The nose weight seems to be especially critical, with tail-wagging occurring far too easily at 50+mph.

Not a great tow car at all, imho. But, for only 120km/80miles, I'd do it without thinking twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

have picked up two c900's recently with my vert, I used a twin axle trailer that was 'heavy' plus the car, had no probs, but do make sure the car is put on frontways with the weight at the front of trailer or you will get tail way very easilyat 40mph, and the dirve is not good at all. both journeys were 250miles + round trip getting 27.5 mpg,@50-60 mph but a few hills where had to change down to 4th as just no torque with the weight, and one hill even 3rd.
The more weight your car is the more you can tow, I forget what the ratio is but I had an old heavy 14ft caravan(single axle) and towed it with a GL5 VW estate as that was a heavy car, but was only just inside the weight ratio, but keep to a slow speed and no probs, and once moving check you braking as that is affected with the extra load pushing you along.
might pay to look on a towing/caravan website for advice on weight's etc, that's how \i found about my caravan/car weight
Old 16th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

thanks guys,
but would towing question the integrity of `vert`s body as it`s roof-delete body thus all the pull being transfered just by the car`s floor under front seats?
Old 16th May 2009

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 4 x 92 900S, 3 x 900i, 1 x 900i convert

I would never ever use a Saab convertible to tow a trailer that heavy. It's just tearing the ring out of your fine vehicle.
Old 17th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

In my case it was the only car with a tow hook I have so what am I supposed to do, It's not a regular event, but I fitted the towbar off a scrap 900 just incase I ever needed it, plus if you are ever reversing/parking a bit blind the tow bar hits befroe the car but the std 900 I got has a tow bar fitted anyway so hopefully if I have to do it ever again i can used that one
Old 17th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

ok, this just adds further to my concerns.
If i woill be able, I`ll try to awoid using my `vert for this.
But, if I`m not able to find any other possibility, what safety measures should I take? - put more of the weights on front of trailer (on `vert`s rear wheels), do not accelerate or brake sharp ... what else?

Thank`s!
Old 17th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

don't put anymore weights on, just make sure the car is front facing, as if you reverse it on the weight is over the back and it tows like crap, and will wag like anything and if going above 35mph could throw you all over the place. been there,as had to pull the perticular 900 onto trailer backwards as only way to get it on from location, as it was a non runner and an auto, so could'nt wind it on the starter for access etc as on my own, but if I had to do it again, I would stop a.s.a.p. and take off trailer and put on right way round, you learn by mistakes never again
Also remeber that with a full size trailer the wheel width will be wider that your own car as well(obviously, but easily frogotten)so beware when driving and going through narrow area's or overtaking stationary vehicles
enjoy your towing, after a couple of miles you will be ok, just needs getting used to
Old 17th May 2009
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokki View Post
I would never ever use a Saab convertible to tow a trailer that heavy. It's just tearing the ring out of your fine vehicle.
Nah, it'll be fine. The 'vert is reinforced so heavily to keep rigidity - I dunno what Saab's recommended towing weights are for them, but if they're similar to the tintop, that's all the answer you need.
Old 17th May 2009

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 4 x 92 900S, 3 x 900i, 1 x 900i convert

If it's all reasonably flat it wouldn't be too bad, I suppose. Just rolling along . . .
Old 17th May 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

no way it is going to bend the car

just you might bottom out the rear suspension with the tongue weight
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 18th May 2009
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t View Post
just you might bottom out the rear suspension with the tongue weight
Only if you've got WAAAAAY too much nose weight, surely...? If putting 50kg or so just aft of the rear bumper bottoms it out, you're going to have some severe issues just driving around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement