Cigarette lighter, iPhone charger question - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th May 2009

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1998 Saab 900SE, 1989 Saab 900T SPG
Default Cigarette lighter, iPhone charger question

I've got a 1998 Saab 900, and doing some searching around here I've figured out why nothing I have bought for my iPhone ever worked in the lighter/power socket, because it's a euro sized socket, correct? Well, assuming that's right, an iPhone charger such as this should work in my car right?

Just wanted to check with the right people before I buy it. And if this is wrong, could someone point me in the right direction of getting an adapter to US size or something? Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th May 2009

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1997 Saab 900 SE Talladega 4dr

My 97 900 SE is just your standard 12V receptor. I would never plug an expensive device like an iphone directly into a cigarette lighter. I know of more people that have fried their LioN batteries that way its not even funny. Be safe and save yourself some trouble and get a power inverter for your cigarette lighter, or have one hardwired to your car's power source. I frequently am on the go, and have to use my laptop and portable printer, so I spent a little extra money and had my stereo install guys hardwire a 3 outlet power inverter in my glove box. These devices provide the exact current you would receive from your home's outlets, it provides clean and even current, not fluxuating current like you would get from your cigarette lighter. You can pick these up starting at $40 US from places like Micro Center or Fry's.
Old 10th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE Talladega coupe

Saab used to sell some "firm-fit cigarette lighter spacers" to fix that problem, but they're apparently not available anymore. I'd try looking around at various iPod cigarette lighter adapters and try to find one where the metal springs on the sides stick out more. Some brands, especially ones designed by European companies, will accommodate both sizes of cigarette lighters. Another option that you might consider, if you have several things you like to plug into your lighter socket, is to replace the socket with a standard-sized one. The 9-3 uses one that would fit, and I posted a while back about a Porsche Boxster lighter upgrade that Suncoast Motorsports sells. It works very well, and looks completely stock.
Old 11th May 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: '01 9³SE

If you're trying to use any cable or dock made for old ipods with the iphone, it won't work. For example if you're trying to charge the iphone with a cable that you got with your 1/2 gen ipod.

The lighter AFAIK is unversal.
Incidentally I'm using a scosche charger and it charges my phone perfectly.

the ebay listing you listed says "european plug" but its refering to the wall socket.
Old 11th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
The lighter AFAIK is unversal.
The NG900 used a slighter larger diameter European cigarette lighter socket. The 9-3 went back to the normal size.
Old 11th May 2009
Saab Crazy

OK ignore me then ^_^
Old 11th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
OK ignore me then ^_^
Lol, thanks for trying to advise me, though. The listing is for the wall plug, USB to Dock cable, and car charger. And, yes, I know the iPhone requires a specific charger. iPhone's have different charging systems.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but how would it fry the phone anyways? I might just go replacing the thing with a regular sized one, in case I need to plug anything else in there.
Old 12th May 2009

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '95 NG900 Convertible

Hey Jeremy, any chance of getting a parts number for that Porsche cigarette lighter? I saw your post on this earlier and meant to ask...

Edit:

Nevermind? A quick Google search turns up this...is this what you used?

link

Last edited by NewguyinBoston; 12th May 2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Try googling before asking noob questions, noob. *eyeroll*
Old 12th May 2009
Saab on the Brain!

That's the part! I searched around and their price, even with shipping, seems to be the cheapest. From what I found, the difference between the Boxster and Carrera versions is that the Boxster is flat black and the Carrera is gloss black. The only other thing you'll have to do is to chop off the non-standard Saab plug and crimp on some standard connectors.
Old 12th May 2009
Saab Crazy

I love how they call it a "cigar lighter" just cuz its a porsche :P
Old 12th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 T7 5-Speed 5-Door

Any charger built to Apple's specs will not damage the battery. The device itself (iphone, ipod, etc...) controls charging (as all lithium-ion batteries are required to do). Using a 120VAC inverter is a waste of energy and money. Plus they produce some of the worst power available.
Old 14th May 2009

Well, here I've got two different clear suggestions. Convert to a wall adapter type of power source or just go ahead. I mean, the charging I linked to in the OP says it protects the device and the car from any unfortunate happenings.

If there's no problem, should I just go with a more trusted brand? Cause this is just a "generic" charger, and I'd rather get something with a little more confidence in itself.

Also, side-note, I'm buying a new keyless remote from eBay, any suggestions? I'm aiming for one that can have a key piece in the remote like the 01+ 9-5s (and probably the 9-3s) have.
Old 14th May 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: 94 Saab 900SE Turbo

I used to work for apple providing support for the iPhone and iPod Touch as a Tier 2 tech support agent (Ooooo, sounds fancy huh? lol) and the newer versions of iPods and iPhones will automatically prevent overcharging of the device, as long as you use an approved charger. Don't buy a chinese knock-off version charger bc it's cheaper and it WILL damage your device. Also, if you convert to a DC to AC inverter, it has more functionality bc it can be used for more than just an iPod; a laptop, portable DVD for the kids, and a whole slue of other things make it more ideal. The quality of charge is negated bc just about everything you would want to plug into the inverter will have an overcharge safety cutoff.

Sno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement