Cabin Fan Won't Turn Off - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th April 2009

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9³SS
Default Cabin Fan Won't Turn Off

Got the manual climate control system and recently my cabin fan would not turn off. All the other buttons and dials on the control module of the dashboard worked (heat seat, A/c, temp control) but the fan would not stop even after the car was off.

I tried pulling the dash control out and unplugging it but the fan remained on and I finally had to pull the fuse in order for it to stop.

Now the fan is seems to have a mind of its own. I put the fuse back in and sometimes it will allow the fan speed switch to control the fan but not for very long. It will either get stuck on one fan speed setting, randomly stop working, or it won't turn on at all.

It doesn't seem to be the actual fan as it does work at full power and even while the car is off, and i don't think it is the control switch on my dashboard as all the other buttons and dials work perfectly, it just seems that the fan speed switch will not control the fan speed correctly.

Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th April 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

This system has its diagnostics, I believe; if it is the same as the NG900 version..
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113589
This may help.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 12th April 2009

So I spoke with some people and the general opinion seems to be that a fan speed resister/controller has gone bad. It is a unit housed under the engine crowl cover. I've seen some step by steps for replacing this unit in older saabs (2002 and older) and wasn't sure how much that applied to mine as it is a 2003. Anyone know what part number I would need to get and how difficult it would be to replace myself?
Old 13th April 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 SS Linear 5MT, 99 9-3 S 3dr 5MT
Garage

Sorry man, I feel your pain, had the same thing happen to my 9-3
at that point i did not have my tool sets in the same state as the car so I had a local shop replace it for a $300 or there abouts if i remember correctly but they may have also included oil change and some other random things.

if i am remembering correctly the part itself is $120-150

there are a couple of threads on this if you run a search for something like "mcc fan control" which are probably far more accurate than my memory

in the mean time your best bet is to pull the fuse when you shut off the car or your battery will be dead in the morning
Old 18th April 2009

Default Resolution

So thanks to this forum and all you wonderful people I have solved my problem. Turns out the suspect part, the fan resistor, was in fact the bad part. Initially I had called all junkyards in the area asking for the part but no one had it.

Next I called auto parts stores like autozone and advance auto but they also did not have it. I went online to rockauto.com and they had it the cheapest and also had a 5% off coupon code that I found...I had placed the item in the cart and applied the coupon and was about to check out when I remembered reading on a few posts that there is a cadillac that uses the same blower resistor.

So I did some digging and found out it was the Caddy Catera model years 1997-2001 that had the same part. Looked around online to see if it would be cheaper for the caddy but no luck - same price.

Then it dawned on me to try calling back all the junkyards and ask them for a blower resistor for a cadillac catera. I made my first call to my preferred yard and they had it. I was so excited because it seemed so difficult to get this darn thing. So I swung on down there with a picture of the resistor to compare. They looked identical, checked underneath, EXACT SAME PART NUMBER that the dealership gave me (90512510). Awesome!

So I removed my glove box today to replace the part and I couldn't find it. Now this thing is pretty unique...for the MCC cars it is this weird looking device with a giant spikey heat sink on the back, some say it almost resembles organ pipes. So knowing what to look for I was expecting this to stick out like a sore thumb - no such luck. So after some more digging it turns out this thing is located inside a tube BEHIND the blower in a tiny space. I yanked the sucker out, replaced it, and now my cabin fan works perfect once again.

Dealer quote: $484 ($334 for the part plus $150 labor)

I ended up paying $70 for the part at the junkyard and saved myself over $400 from taking the dealership route. The whole ordeal didn't take me longer than 45 minutes to replace and that included the time I spent looking for the part.

Last edited by AL CAL; 18th April 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 24th June 2009

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Linear

I've got what appears to be the same issue in my 2005 9-3 Linear. A couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know how I would go about finding the fan speed controller (part # 90512510) within the car? Is it in the same place/vicinity in each Saab model - or are there manuals available that show where the various assemblies/parts are?

2) Once I find the part, does anyone know a good way to check to make sure it's actually the fan speed controller that's failing? It's got all of the symptoms that people are citing (fan sometimes won't turn off when car turns off, sometimes gets stuck on certain speeds, pulling the big orange 40 fuse stops the fan when it's running). I just would like to be able to be sure that this part is the issue before I spend $200+ to get the replacement part.

Thanks very much for the help!
John
Old 24th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlerch View Post
I've got what appears to be the same issue in my 2005 9-3 Linear. A couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know how I would go about finding the fan speed controller (part # 90512510) within the car? Is it in the same place/vicinity in each Saab model - or are there manuals available that show where the various assemblies/parts are?

2) Once I find the part, does anyone know a good way to check to make sure it's actually the fan speed controller that's failing? It's got all of the symptoms that people are citing (fan sometimes won't turn off when car turns off, sometimes gets stuck on certain speeds, pulling the big orange 40 fuse stops the fan when it's running). I just would like to be able to be sure that this part is the issue before I spend $200+ to get the replacement part.

Thanks very much for the help!
John
Well for 1 - I tried to describe it as best as I could. You basically just remove the glovebox and go digging around in the back to find the part - probably the longest part of the whole process is just finding where it was hidden, at least for me given it was since I have pretty limited car repair knowledge.

For 2 - I had the same concern, I just took the risk, bought the part and tried installing it to see if that fixed my problem (which it obviously did). I had exactly all the symptoms people describe for this problem - nothing more and nothing less. Given that situation, I felt relatively safe in my diagnosis. Also, since I went to the junkyard and got the part it was a lot cheaper than a new part so it was all the more incentive to take the risk since it didn't cost a lot. Although I guess if you buy it new you could always return it which isn't the case with parts from the junkyard. If you do take the junkyard route and they say they don't have the part for a saab, remember to ask for the same part for a caddy catera as they are both identical parts.

Best of luck
Old 28th June 2009

Thanks. I've got a 2005 and it looks like yours is a 2003. Hopefully it's still behind the glovebox or thereabouts. I'll try looking into the junkyard situation around here to see if I have any luck.

I'll let you know how I make out. Appreciate all the help from this list.

John
Old 11th July 2009

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3

FOUND IT!!! I could not for the life of me find this thing in order to pull it out.
I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 and I had to remove the ride side console panel, remove the glovebox, and remove the plastic panel on the bottom side of the passenger dash. Once you do that it is staring you in the face!! Upper left corner of the passenger side.
Thanks for all the info, now I just need to find a used one and I will be all set!
Old 13th July 2009

I was able to find a used part in the UK off of Youtube ($55 including shipping) and put it in over the weekend. Works great! Thanks to everyone for your help.

The part is bigger than I thought it would be. The base is about 2" x 1" or thereabouts and the "pipe organ" spires are about 3" tall. Like Al Cal said, it was literally plugged into one of the ventilation tubes, so the air flow passes over the pipe organ heat sink structure.

When I got the plastic base off on the passenger side, it wasn't staring me in the face. It was behind the big cylindrical cabin fan unit, and I had to lay on my back and get behind it to see it. Here's a decent picture of what the base looks like, which is what you'll be looking at (the pipe organ heat sink is out of view):

http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/tabid...1/Default.aspx

Again, mine's a 2005 9-3 linear.

Also - I took the broken one apart and didn't see anything obvious that could be fixed. The circuit board was covered in a clear gel, so I don't know if you could have replaced a burnt component even if it was obvious.

Good luck to anyone else working on this issue...

John
Old 15th October 2010

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93 1.8t linear

Had the exact same problem, congratulated myself at finding a cheap version of the part on WorldCarParts, installed it, worked perfectly for a week then broke.
Replaced with a proper Saab part, lesson learned. WCP did at least refund in full (including postage) when I returned their part, which is to their credit.
Old 1st December 2010

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Sedan
Default Caddy Part

Thanks for the tip on the Caddy part. I managed to find one at the junkyard for $25 and it saved me a bunch of money.
Old 27th February 2011

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³ & 2005 97x
Default grabbing the part !!

thanks for the advice..will post pics to add to this great post !!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-Catera-Blowe...item2c5a77a30d
Old 27th February 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by isd1027 View Post
thanks for the advice..will post pics to add to this great post !!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-Catera-Blowe...item2c5a77a30d
this is only if you have manual climate control 3 knobs,auto cc(buttons) has a different fan speed control unit..

N.B posted this reply for clarity

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..
Old 22nd April 2011

Default Cabin Fan Wont Turn off - FIX !!! (Part 1 of 2)

Hello follow saabsters ..here are all the steps

Starting with where and what fuse to pull - If Cabin fan does not turn off
To replacing the resistor that causes the issue -
Most of the time it is not the motor that is bad , nor your knobs

To all readers and those who get help from this site -
Try to post the solution and explain how it is done ...and of course
Pictures ..pictures..pictures..are 1000 words ..take the time
to show others how ...it will be helpful to reduce confusion
and questions ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-22-2011 5-35-12 PM.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	22795

Name:	4-22-2011 5-17-56 PM.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	22796

Name:	4-22-2011 5-13-52 PM.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	22797

Name:	4-22-2011 5-22-55 PM.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	22798

Name:	4-22-2011 5-24-46 PM.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	22799
Old 22nd April 2011

Default Cabin Fan Wont Turn off - FIX !!! (Part 2 of 2)

[QUOTE=isd1027;1989293]Hello follow Saabsters ..here are all the steps

Rest of the steps -

Name:	4-22-2011 5-30-47 PM.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	22800

Name:	4-22-2011 5-31-57 PM.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	22801

Name:	4-22-2011 5-33-13 PM.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	22802

The Part is a GM Part - stated above is the post - just search for it at the local scrap yard - $60 cost me - (mine is from a 98 Catera)

Will take around 45 min to complete from start to finish ..

Hopefully this helps a few of my fellow saabsters..

Cheers ...
Old 29th July 2011

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9³ SS

thanks everybody for this post,also thanks for the pictures...
i found part at junkyard and took it from the 1998 cadillac catera..
paid 5$ for this part, but i spend 2 hours to install it,because my connector was also bad..hopefully i took connector too..
Old 24th May 2012

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3
Default Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the details in this post.

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear and it had the problem with the cabin fan continually running (after the car was turned off).. .. . and the fix was exactly as described.

The pictures were awesome. I found a used part from a 1999 Cetera on eBay (there were many of them) for ~$60. With the aid of the pictures, it took 30 minutes to do the swap.

I don't think I have any upgrades other than to get a set of torx screw drivers.
Old 2nd August 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 9-3 Linear

AWESOME Job with the pics made my world very easy Thanks the problem is solved and car back up and running for half the cost a big Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9.3 Linear; 1989 900 Turbo
Default Fan resistor

05 Linear with the same issue here. Manual a/c and yeah I pulled the glove box too then found the sucker under the plastic shield! Searched the web and found it was the same part as the Catera. Amazon has the Delco part for $140 shipped. I found a german made part with partsgeek for $108 shipped. Just ordered it tonight so we'll see when it gets here. I'm a retired tech and have replaced a lot of blower resistors but this one has got to be the strangest looking thing!
I hope this is it for a while with my car. Two weeks ago it was "Immobilizer failure" warning, then the blower motor started acting up. My buddy is a saab tech and ran a scan. Said the CIM needs replacing and are on back order. Did some research and decided to replace the battery which is three years old and just put a new key switch in rather than taking the old one apart and cleaning it. Hoping that will get me by. Sad these cars have so many electrical gremlins. The car runs great but it's starting to wear on me.

http://www.partsgeek.com/c989z4x-saa...trol-unit.html

Last edited by sulloj; 8th August 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: bad parts:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement