SAS Sway bar kit installed! My review - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th April 2009

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero Auto... 2004 Honda S2000
Default SAS Sway bar kit installed! My review

I finished installing the SAS sway bar kit (F&R) about a week ago. I thought I would take some time and really get a feeling for them before writing a review. Ill post pics soon.
Stage 1 - Installed rear sway bar. The install was fairly easy. Just remember to note the orientation of the sway bar retainers and end-links. The new sway bar 'just' fit inside the channel for the sway bar. I don't think you could go much larger without clearance issues. Having the rear sway bar installed with the stock aero suspension wasn't too impressive. The rear was more planted but because the front suspension leaned so much I couldn't get the rear to rotate (reduce understeer) much.

Stage 2 - Installed front sway bar. Install was not necessarily hard but took a decent amount of time. After doing it once I could do it in about 2 hours. The negative of the install is that because I had to unbolt the steering rack the steering wheel angle is off. Ill need an alignment at some point. The first drive made a good impression. The lean in the front suspension is much less than before. The biggest difference though is high speed cornering and maneuvering. I am able to take circular on ramps and long sweepers at a much quicker pace with more confidence. The car is much more stable and the floaty feeling is reduced. Also you can put power down earlier on corner exit with the reduced inside wheel lift.

Overall they are a good upgrade for an Aero. My personal opinion is that they would be much better suited for a car with after market springs and struts. Having previously owned a '99 LPT with '02 Aero sway bars I would say the change on my Aero is similar with these bars. One note is that I would not recommend the SAS sway bars on a non-aero without spring/struts. Mainly because the low spring rate would cause the sway bar to undergo extreme amounts of stress.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Chris 9-5; 2nd May 2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: There is a for sale forum - no adverts here please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement