DIC Failure? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-09

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1996 Saab 900SE Turbo
Default DIC Failure?

I just tried to start my car and it wouldn't, it would crank but wouldn't start. I took out the DIC, and it smelled like it was burning. I looked inside the Cylinder 1 coil, and the seal looked a little rough. This cylinder has had problems misfiring before because of pcv goop spraying on the fuel injector wires. Does this sound like a failed DIC?

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement

Old 03-04-09
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide bobb
I just tried to start my car and it wouldn't, it would crank but wouldn't start. I took out the DIC, and it smelled like it was burning. I looked inside the Cylinder 1 coil, and the seal looked a little rough. This cylinder has had problems misfiring before because of pcv goop spraying on the fuel injector wires. Does this sound like a failed DIC? Yes

Thanks for any help!
Do go through the diagnostic procedure...Do test the DIC....If o'er 100K, I'd replace both the DIC and the CPS.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 ng900 2.0 'vert, 2000 9-5 2.3T

If it smells burnt, then it's a pretty safe bet that it's shot. However, as EW suggests, it's good to do the diagnostics. At least, make sure that the fuel pump is running properly which will also check the CPS. Then, pull the plugs and put them in the DIC and ground them to see if the DIC is firing.

A torn boot can also cause a misfire, especially at boost. As the pressure of the fuel/air mix in the cylinder increases, it takes more voltage to cause a spark. If the boot is torn and there is no dielectric grease on it, it can arc on the outside and miss. If your miss was only at full boost, it may actually have been due to the boot and not the injector connector.

In any event, you should always put a dab of dielectric grease on the boot to seal it completely.

John
Old 03-04-09

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '95 900se2.0T 2door

crank the car over.. if you have rpms then you know your crank sensor is good.. if your exaust smells like fuel ur fuel pumps ok.. good chance its the DI. its not an injector. could easily be a vac line. pump the throttle while cranking. if it doesnt eben pretend to try to run .. DI i think
Old 03-04-09

I took my dad to check it out today, and when cranking, he said that none of the sparks were trying to hit. Out of ideas, I took out the DIC and went home. I then took apart the lower half and found, to my dismay, that it didn't house all of the electronics, and, that the upper half smelled worse than the lower half. I took some pics, so maybe you guys can figure things out.

Above pic shows that the blue thing is cracked

Above pic shows cylinder 2 sleeve, looks normal

Above pic shows Cylinder 1 sleeve, again looks normal

Above pic shows cylinder 2 sleeve insides, looks normal

Above pic shows cylinder 1 sleeve insides, a seal is shot
Old 03-04-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan900
crank the car over.. if you have rpms then you know your crank sensor is good.. if your exaust smells like fuel ur fuel pumps ok.. good chance its the DI. its not an injector. could easily be a vac line. pump the throttle while cranking. if it doesnt eben pretend to try to run .. DI i think
The car won't turn over, so there are no rpm's. My dad didn't smell gasoline from the exhaust pipe, but I don't think he was trying hard and they don't push enough gas for it to be noticeable. Pumped the throttle, no start still. Doubt it is a vacuum line, because most of them seem fine. What line would it be though? I find it odd that it would just randomly give after sitting for a few hours.
Old 03-04-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 ng900 2.0 'vert, 2000 9-5 2.3T

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide bobb
I find it odd that it would just randomly give after sitting for a few hours.
That's why many of us, myself included, carry a spare DIC in the trunk. Just in case.

It happened just that way to me. The car ran fine. I parked and went in for dinner. Two hours later, no start. I swapped in the spare DIC and it started right up.

John
Old 04-04-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrowe
That's why many of us, myself included, carry a spare DIC in the trunk. Just in case.

It happened just that way to me. The car ran fine. I parked and went in for dinner. Two hours later, no start. I swapped in the spare DIC and it started right up.

John
That makes sense.

There is a 900SE in a local junkyard, and if it has a red DIC, I will probably pick it up for $30 and hope it holds me over long enough so that I can afford to buy another new one when it goes. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and not have any problems with it for a year. Knowing my luck though, probably not :/
Advertisement