should i get another? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2005                                                
My Saabs: none, but it's coming again...
Default should i get another?

Ok guys, so here's my dilemma... As a lot of you know, I have a 1990 C900 LPT 5-door, in the US, which is, er... not common ... now, I already know i'm going to restore it to at least good shape. maybe not showroom condition, but good enough to take to Saab events for sure. The problem is though, I want another FAST Saab, too I'm not sure whether to make a fast 5 door, or to try to find a decent 3 door and build that while I'm working on the 5 door... seems getting two saabs would be an expensive past time, but it would be a tad bit easier because the lucas fuel management thats currently in the 5 door isn't supported in the states (though if i were going to build it for power, I'd probably megasquirt it)... now, i already have that '84 jetta that i'm building for the twisties, so I have two projects as is the jetta is a budget build, and the 5 door is going to get pretty good treatment because of how rare and neat it is... should I just make it fast? I'm not looking for like, 400 horsepower or nothing, but something that I can hang with my friends in their STi's and EVO's and stuff on the highway/ road course when they wanna play around... opinions? comments? *puts on flame suit*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th March 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900s and 1995 9000 Aero

Call me ignorant, I love the c900, but did you say you wanted to be keeping up with your friends in evos and sti's in a c900?????

"Maturity is too high a price to pay for growing up."
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAB
Call me ignorant, I love the c900, but did you say you wanted to be keeping up with your friends in evos and sti's in a c900?????
haha, on the highway, which i know the C900 can be quick on (my first C900 would ROMP on the highway when i put 25psi through her intake) i know they would CRUSH me from a stop and whatnot
Old 30th March 2009

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1988 Saab 900 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewitdaspike
haha, on the highway, which i know the C900 can be quick on (my first C900 would ROMP on the highway when i put 25psi through her intake) i know they would CRUSH me from a stop and whatnot
you put 25psi through a C900?

And as an aside, if you already have a C900, how about a 9000 as a quick DD while you restore the 900? The 9000's are cheap/easier to find than the C900's it seems (at least in my area) and are quite nice cars - esp. 2.3T models like the Aero.
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Taledage Red SPG, 2008 Turbo X 6sp

If you want to keep up with an evo or an sti i suggest getting a corvette lol then you can smoke them. But not in a c900 most likely by the time you get that kind of power you will destroy the transmission an clutch. Also most likely if you just restore the 5 door to factory as best you can it will probably be worth more in the long run. Since you have the jetta your working on two and you want a 3 door as well your wallet will be floating oon empty for a long time. Mysuggestion is do one at a time. Patience is a vital virtue. I don't have a doubt that a c900 could not keep up with an evo it will just take time an money plus a few transmissions.

OR

Sell the jetta and use that money for a nice SPG and then you can do both saabs!
Old 30th March 2009
SaabNut!

Default why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aq38...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztCQ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6MZ_...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhy2O...eature=related

Last edited by gotaquestion; 30th March 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

If you want it to be that fast, you'll have to jetison as much weight as possible. That will lead you back to the 3-door.

High boost does lead to issues with other components such as the tranny and clutch. My indy mechanic has a total sleeper bull-nose 3-door with faded blue paint and some missing trim, faded bumpers, no rear seat, pinned-up headliner, etc. It runs right around 30 psi when he's got it in "fast" mode but he's constantly fixing something. He shocks people with the quickness, but it has a price.

Personally, I drive just to have fun myself, I really don't care about anyone else.
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb00st
you put 25psi through a C900?
haha, yep, only mods were an EVO 8 intercooler, and straight piped exhaust... she didn't like running that much boost for long, but she would. didn't like texas so much though blew the motor out there
Old 30th March 2009
SaabNut!

My Saabs: Oh No, no Saabs!
Default Time to get another?

It sounds to me that you are on the point of overload. Focus on one project whichever. If me I would focus on the 5 dr. to make it into a reliable runner. Locate a same year turbo 4 dr. for a donor (yes available in '89 & '90 stateside). Perhaps replace the fuel system with the US market hardware & go the full boost intercooler route. From my experience with too many irons in the fire something will happen eventually from a financial position which will cause you to have to make a tough decision as to which project to abandon. Good luck!
Old 30th March 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Arc(stg3 275hp 300ftlbs) 92 900s

Quote:
haha, yep, only mods were an EVO 8 intercooler, and straight piped exhaust... she didn't like running that much boost for long, but she would. didn't like texas so much though blew the motor out there

fuel fuel fuel....

You need more fuel to run 25psi.

If you want to keep up with those cars, you might want one of those cars.

A 9000aero or cse or even an older 86-88 9000T would be a good base, you can get 400hp and the transmission will hold it.

K
Old 30th March 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

just remember don't worry about the over powering etc the saab will still be there in 15 yrs the evo's etc will be long gone, have you seen one over 10yrs old even now never mind in 10 yrs time. Speed is one thing, class is another
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 8V

To nail your friends ricers lighten the Jetta - tie the strut towers (front) to each other and triangulate to the fire wall - for the rear tie the towers and triangulate to the floor. Remove the front anti-sway bar - double the rear (it'll keep it flat while keeping the front wheels planted without resorting to massive negative camber) - yank the weak knee 4cyl out of the Jetta and shoe-horn in a VR6 - I've been down the VW path (many times - both air and water cooled) - will be happy to help you off-line. If, by the way, the Jetta is a 2door you've found one of the primo shells to build a high performance 'dub with (they're really stiff - Per Schroder (Grass Roots Motorsports mag) ran on on the autocross circut in the 80's and did quite well -

For a class ride - like one a lady would like to ride shotgun in - one that you can park at nice eating establishments without excuse or shame - restore the 9005DR and learn to live with Lucas - it's a rare bird - darned shame to muck with it.

Steve
Old 30th March 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: Tuned NG900, stock 99 9-5

Meh....

A NG900 with Stage 3/4 mods can keep up with a stock Evo or STi....

But it will corner like crap...
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheFolkie
To nail your friends ricers lighten the Jetta - tie the strut towers (front) to each other and triangulate to the fire wall - for the rear tie the towers and triangulate to the floor. Remove the front anti-sway bar - double the rear (it'll keep it flat while keeping the front wheels planted without resorting to massive negative camber) - yank the weak knee 4cyl out of the Jetta and shoe-horn in a VR6 - I've been down the VW path (many times - both air and water cooled) - will be happy to help you off-line. If, by the way, the Jetta is a 2door you've found one of the primo shells to build a high performance 'dub with (they're really stiff - Per Schroder (Grass Roots Motorsports mag) ran on on the autocross circut in the 80's and did quite well -

For a class ride - like one a lady would like to ride shotgun in - one that you can park at nice eating establishments without excuse or shame - restore the 9005DR and learn to live with Lucas - it's a rare bird - darned shame to muck with it.

Steve
nah, the jetaa is a 4 door... you really think a VR6 will fit?
Old 30th March 2009

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

Multiple 900s can be nice for diag., repairs, tinker, and backup transport. If you like to work on your own cars and rely on a vehicle it can be economical sometimes.

I had to change the seat heater elements the other day and too much time passed. So off to hop in another 900.

If you want a Saab with any degree of handling you can buy a half decent 9-5 for $3k-$4K which is really less than one pays for a decent rust free C900.

If you can swap in an engine, there are endless 9-5s with dead engines for $1,000-$1,500. You could even go so far as to upgrade to a B234R.

If you crave a little quality you could pick up a 9000 Aero, the standard transmission is far more beefy than in the 900. Just avoid the auto.

You could buy a GM900 but your girlfriend will get car sick in the turns.

Newer Saab are plagued with problems. SO be cautious when/if you buy. Just read the forums. It isn't so simple like buying a C900.
Old 30th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

what about second gen 9-3s? i know they're pretty new, but i mean... they're nice and from what i hear they can be pretty quick
Old 30th March 2009

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

Quote:
what about second gen 9-3s? i know they're pretty new, but i mean... they're nice and from what i hear they can be pretty quick
Oh sure. A little more pocket change tho. 9-5s are cheaper and better handling.

I love the look very much of the 9-3SS and SC too.

The best thing to do is test drive all of them. I did. I nearly bought a 9-3 2002, but after a second test ( and harder) drive into the curves it was a real disappointment. Plus the style is kinda....blah. Credible motoring press called the Viggen overpriced and near pointless, but at least it looks cool.

Seriously, the 9-5 is so cheap, and if you want a bit more variety, yeah. Good value too. Avoid the V6 if you want to tune it tho.

Best advice is to drive for yourself. If you don't "need" another car then take your sweet *** time. I spent like a year and bought my 9-5 Aero. Been a great car, but not nearly as fun and cool to me as a C900.

Last edited by woywitka; 30th March 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement