Manual windows to Power Windows, how to - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29-03-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2009                                                
Default Manual windows to Power Windows, how to

With a classic 900 that has roll up windows, I have thought about upgrading it to Power Windows. The Saab parts stores sell Window Regulators, which seem to be the motor that is used to open and to close the window. Are there other parts that I would need, or would I need to buy a "Power Window Kit"?

Does anyone have details with pictures on this upgrade so that I could do it at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-09
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE

you would need the mechanism that the motor runs on/in. the wind up gearing is at the top obviously by the handle , the electric is at the bottom. although you might have the switch wiring in(by gear lever console) not sure if the window electrics are in place, but I would go to a breakers and strip all the windows and mechanisms out of one, or it will cost you a fortune to put new in, and you can get the switchpad you need as well, and it's not a five minute job. I would say if I had the parts ready and the electrics all wired up already, even then I would take about 1hr per door and iv'e been there done that(changing motors/damaged gearing etc) so 3-4 hrs removal from donor car(and probably no battery power to move window if need be?) 4-6 hrs for removal and replacement of new, you need a good day or two(refering to a four door, 2 dr 1/2 the time )
Old 29-03-09
SaabNut!

Sounds like a lot of work, just for power windows! The option on a new vehicle is not that much more...next time I consider buying a new car, I think that I will choose power windows. Unfortunately, I bought the car used, and did not stop to think about it not having power windows, keyless entry, etc.

What about an after market power window kit? I read that Saab power windows are SLOW and drain the battery a lot. An after market kit that claims to work on any vehicle, without modifying the door panel, would seem cost effective...and maybe give better performance?

I have gone to the junk yard before for parts, but taking apart the junk car just for the power window pieces...that could be a day job!

Quote:
you would need the mechanism that the motor runs on/in. the wind up gearing is at the top obviously by the handle , the electric is at the bottom. although you might have the switch wiring in(by gear lever console) not sure if the window electrics are in place,
So, buying the "Window Regulator", that costs like $170 per window, is not all that is needed? The Saab parts stores do not seem to have the other parts...seems like after market is the way to go?
Old 29-03-09
Saab on the Brain!

I think you have come to the tight decision, sell it and buy one with power windows
Old 29-03-09
SaabNut!

Next time I go car shopping! Problem is that I am doing a lot of work on the engine and have replaced several components NEW...so now I just want to fix up the other inconvenient things, like manual windows!

It has a new headliner. New rebuilt steering rack. Fairly new bearings on the engine (just checked). Head recently leveled. Fairly new water pump and power steering pump. Fairly new power steering hoses. Most water hoses fairly new. Custom speaker cutout on dash for full size speakers. Custom wiring for secondary auxiliary battery. New carpet in trunk. Dyed carpet on floor. Custom seat cover on back seats.

Needs: power windows
Needs: custom seat covers on front seats (I can do this. Did the back seats)
Needs: custom door panel work for power windows...(I can do this)

Too many hours invested to sell it now!
Old 30-03-09
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '90 900T16 3dr - For Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotaquestion
seems like after market is the way to go?
Wouldn't it just be easiest to find a pair of doors in the right colour?
Old 30-03-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: 86 turbo'd notch & 89T

This should be a fairly straightforward upgrade. Check first, but the doors should already be wired. You need motors/regulators, and a switch pack for between the seats. Switch packs aren't all the same, so find out which span of model years are compatible with your car. (There's a changeover in '90 or '91 and there may have been one earlier on, too.)

The regulators need to be in decent shape: no bent/busted teeth, not too rusty. You'll want to clean and lube them with a heavy grease similar to what's already on there. IIRC, regs need to come from the same door style donor: 3-door into 3-door, 4-door into 4-door.

Typically, the US driver's (left) side motor will be tired (v.v. for RHD). Optimally, take a motor from the left passenger door on a 4-door sedan. Or buy a new one, if necessary.

You'll also need the door cards from a donor car.
Old 31-03-09
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1992 C900NA /1995 NG900S

I would like to do just the opposite,that is, convert power windows to roll up.I'm tired of bad switches,motors,windows jamming or locking up etc.
Question:Would the roll up mechanisms from say an 85 or so bolt up to a 92.I know the power window regulators etc,are the same on an 85 as the 92.What years did the C900 have roll up windows? I'll be going to a salvage yard soon that has beaucoop's of older C900's.
Believe me,with the problems I've had in the past,working on the window assemblies, is a snap.
Old 31-03-09

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: '91 900 NA

my 91 NA has manual windows.
Old 01-04-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1983 c900 - sold, 2006 9-5 Linear

i don't think it's such a good idea. I had mine fitted aftermarket style, and the wiring was a mess. I got the doors with the whole mechanism from the breakers. I kept blowing fuses and sometimes it seems like the windows don't work so well.

i got fed-up and i managed to find a whole wiring loom complete with the rear fusebox. Took me and a friend of mine, 3 months (worked on it during weekends only) to hook it all up but it was worth it. All 4 windows work as if the car was fitted with power windows from the factory.

des

Last edited by walawala; 01-04-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 19-05-09
SaabNut!

I have received a set of after market power windows. Spent some time taking off the door panels to see how they fit. I have to adapt it slightly, but it looks like it will work. Have not tried it yet to see if it actually rolls the windows up, but after I get the adapter figured out, then I can tighten them down and try it. I hope that it works, otherwise, some money down the drain!
Old 20-05-09
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1992 C900NA /1995 NG900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotaquestion View Post
I have received a set of after market power windows. Spent some time taking off the door panels to see how they fit. I have to adapt it slightly, but it looks like it will work. Have not tried it yet to see if it actually rolls the windows up, but after I get the adapter figured out, then I can tighten them down and try it. I hope that it works, otherwise, some money down the drain!
Let me know if it works.What year is your car? If it works, PM me about taking the manual mechanisms off your hands. Good luck.
Old 03-09-09
SaabNut!

Have fit the power windows into the door jam, but have not tried to power them on yet. Still working on the car, and after I get the car to start again, then I hope to try to power up the power windows and get the wiring done. I bought some cheap universal power windows, and they use plastic washers and plastic gears to roll up the windows. I think that it will work, but would have preferred metal gears to last longer.
Old 04-09-09
Saab on the Brain!

they won't last too long especially if it's a 2 door as there is some weight in the units. should have got some s/h from breakers
Advertisement