Satellite Radio - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th March 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 93 2.0T - wifes
Default Satellite Radio

Hey folks... I am looking for some advice on the satellite radio. About 4 years ago, I bought a lifetime Sirius subscription (I rarely use) for a unit in my home. I had never had XM until I bought an 08 93 in December 2008. I am nearly at the end of my 3 free months of XM and want to merge my lifetime Sirius plan to the XM unit in the Saab, but SiriusXM say its not going to be possible until the end of the 3 year SEC mandated cool off period for the two companies becoming one. According to an XM rep, thats 2 years and 4 months from now.

As such, I am looking for an aftermarket Sirius capable head unit for my 08 93. I can transfer the lifetime subscription to another Sirius radio, just not an XM radio.

I really dont want to spend a fortune on this, and have little interest in changing the rest of the audio setup... just wanna be able to hear my Sirius.

Any suggestions? Brands, model #s, etc.?

Thanks in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th March 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08manny
Hey folks... I am looking for some advice on the satellite radio. About 4 years ago, I bought a lifetime Sirius subscription (I rarely use) for a unit in my home. I had never had XM until I bought an 08 93 in December 2008. I am nearly at the end of my 3 free months of XM and want to merge my lifetime Sirius plan to the XM unit in the Saab, but SiriusXM say its not going to be possible until the end of the 3 year SEC mandated cool off period for the two companies becoming one. According to an XM rep, thats 2 years and 4 months from now.

As such, I am looking for an aftermarket Sirius capable head unit for my 08 93. I can transfer the lifetime subscription to another Sirius radio, just not an XM radio.

I really dont want to spend a fortune on this, and have little interest in changing the rest of the audio setup... just wanna be able to hear my Sirius.

Any suggestions? Brands, model #s, etc.?

Thanks in advance guys.
I had the same problem. I had Sirius in my old car. Knowing that Sirius and XM merged figured it would be easy to swap over. NOPE! I had to cancel my Sirius subscription and call XM and start a new one. Sirius was even trying to give me a free radio so I would not cancel, but my 93 SS already had the XM add on from the dealer.

Stephen
Vtune Satge 0 - CAI - Glowshift Boost Gauge
Old 12th March 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.8T 6MT, 2003 9-5 2.3t Wagon

My wife had a Kenwood 'Here2Anywhere' Sirius receiver.

The sirius receiver broadcast on 88.8FM by default (but you could change that if that station has content in your area) - you could tune your in dash stereo to 88.8FM and get the signal.

It only cost like $60 and that was a couple years ago. I imagine they might be giving those things away by this point?
Old 13th March 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 SC Aero '08 9-3 SS Aero AWD

I was in that exact same situation as you.

Call Sirius Customer Satisfaction. they may offer you a free receiver to keep your subscription, just as they did for me. It isn't a high-end model (inv2), but it is pretty small, actually small enough that you can mount it in the "ashtray" area, leaving the storage space available.

Keep in mind you can always get a refund on your subscription if you wish.
Old 13th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3t (OOW)

if your looking for something on the cheap, you can have my old receiver for $20 or so. If your looking for an integrated unit, not sure how to help you.

Edit: Actually, you can buy a SV1 online with an antenna for $20, maybe go that route. I don't have an antenna
Old 13th March 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3 2.0T

What do you mean when you say "head unit"? You want to replace the radio in the car with something that can get Sirrius?

Or do you just want a Sirrius portable receiver? Use the aux-in on the front of the radio?

The former is wicked overkill. The later is cheap and easy. Just go to Best Buy and see their selection of radios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement