SaabCentral Forums banner

I couldnt find the oil i wanted...

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Saab999-5 
#1 ·
Hello again. Well iam getting my oil sump dropped and all next week. I use mobile 1 oil full synthetic but i wanted to get some mobile one full synthetic euro blend but i couldnt find any in the stores, Anyone know a place that would have this oil.
Thanks

#2 ·
Canada is a huge country!

Kind of hard to say where you can find the euro blend oil you seek. Other equivalent or acceptable oils you may be able to find easier include: Mobil-1 5W/40 Turbo Diesel Truck & SUV, Shell Rotella-T synthetic 5W/40, Total Quartz Energy 9000 in 5W/40 weight, Castrol Syn-Tec (Edge or blend from Germany), Pennzoil Platinum, etc....

Besides, you should have some very fine Esso blends available to you which are not marketed here in the States.

#5 ·
stipud said:
You can generally find it at Canadian Tire or WalMart.

My oils of choice are the Esso XD3 0w40, or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 when it's on sale.

I think the XD3 is $35 at Wally, or you can buy it for CHEAAAP (less than $20 probably) at an Esso bulk dealer.
Well stupid i gets its best to ask you since you run the gt17 turbo on stage 3 and i have a stock turbo as well with a stage 3 on the way, even though yours is a hybrid. Why are you using turbo diesel truck oil? Ill just do another oil changed with a mobile 1 full syn. 5w40

#6 · (Edited)
Saab999-5 said:
Well stupid i gets its best to ask you since you run the gt17 turbo on stage 3 and i have a stock turbo as well with a stage 3 on the way, even though yours is a hybrid. Why are you using turbo diesel truck oil? Ill just do another oil changed with a mobile 1 full syn. 5w40
They label it for use in Turbo Diesel Trucks, due to the additive pack they put in it. It cleans your motor out real good, and doesn't break down under high load. It's perfect for our cars! Only downside is the price... usually costs over $50 here, though you do get 5 liters instead of 4.

The Shell Rotella T 5w40 is a really good oil for little money as well... lots of my friends with tuned Scooby's run it. I have run Esso XD-3 for the last two changes, and I really like it. I will probably buy a case of them from the bulk supplier next time.

I would not recommend most 30 weight oils, since very few of them can sustain the factory oil pressure specification at idle. Under high temperatures and loads, oil will shear down to a lower weight. Especially with the little GT17, your oil will be getting HOT. That's why I generally run a solid 40 weight, so at least if they shear to a thick 30 weight, you are still in the safe zone.

#7 · (Edited)
uhhhh...
diesel oils are NOT for cars that run catalytic converters.
the added/high sulfur content will clog/ruin your catalytic converter.

personally, I run the lubrimoly voll-synthese that eeuroparts sells.

just use a full-synthetic... not one of these super-refined dino-based synthetics.

#8 ·
Saab999-5 said:
Hello again. Well iam getting my oil sump dropped and all next week. I use mobile 1 oil full synthetic but i wanted to get some mobile one full synthetic euro blend but i couldnt find any in the stores, Anyone know a place that would have this oil.
Thanks
You're right on the major companies(Walmart etc) here not carrying the goods that we're looking for. Regardless the prices are insane for mobil at about 8 bucks a litre, and that's not even the good good stuff we're looking for. Depending where you are my mechanic carries 0 w40 Mobil and only charges me 5 bucks a litre. Can't beat that.

Let me know if you want more info and live in central Ontario.

#10 ·
WICKETONE said:
Stipud,

Is a GT17 turbo bigger than my td04 turbo? Sry if this is a stupid question!

Just curious! If it's bigger I want it..lol Man I love my Saab. I really do!
Nothings really a stupid question if you dont know it, trying to give info on something you know nothing about would be stupid,IMO

Yes its bigger, it comes standard on the aero model, the lpt models have the gt17.

When i was at walmart last time i did my oil change there was no 5w40 so i put in 5w30, i know its not as thick but i thought that would be best in the winter. I remember being told something another about this from stupid. I think when my tune gets here and i have the sump drop done i will put in the 5w40. I live in st.johns, Newfoundland so its hard to find another modified saab owner around here.

#11 ·
G96nt said:
uhhhh...
Been running diesel engine oil for 3-4 years now and my aero still passes emissions with no problem, gets better MPG than new, and still tries to rip the pavement off the road when I floor 2nd gear. The B235 is very harsh to it's oil, much like a diesel, so diesel engine oil works very well as its additive package keeps sod and fuel in solution and fights sludge build up.

As for ruining the cat, well I imagine that would only be an issue if I burned a lot of oil. My car burns none that I can measure. Even so, a replacement universal fit cat is less than $100 for a good, high-flow performance one. I'll take my chances ruining my cat $100 to protect my $1000+ engine.

#12 ·
I dont plan on putting one on my car anyways when i get my exhaust re done next week thats not a worrie, its desiel truck oil in a car motor...something about it freaks me out, yes youve been running it for years but it just makes me a little un easy. I mean a desiel truck runs on desiel. i would figure that the oil would be different becuase of its a different type of vehicle, However theres turbo desiel trucks which must use a oil simliar to a turbo car. Couldnt you just do engine flush/oil change together to prevent oil sludge. And every couple years do a sump drop and have it all cleaned

#13 ·
G96nt said:
uhhhh...

personally, I run the lubrimoly voll-synthese that eeuroparts sells.

just use a full-synthetic... not one of these super-refined dino-based synthetics.
The oil has a higher Zinc content. ZDDP might clog the cat if the car is burning oil, but an oil burner will get clogged in due time even with low ZDDP oils.

ZDDP is invaluable as an engine cleaner. I ran the M1 TDT for a year in order to clean out my sludged engine. The pan was spotless afterwards, and it was noticeably cleaner under my valve cover.

If you read BITOG or similar sites, the Mobil 1 TDT is one of their best rated oils. I haven't heard of a single instance of a clogged cat due to high ZDDP oils anyways. I've heard your argument more than a handful of times, with zero evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) to back it up.

Here are some good reads:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1050283&fpart=1
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

#14 ·
Saab999-5 said:
I dont plan on putting one on my car anyways when i get my exhaust re done next week thats not a worrie, its desiel truck oil in a car motor...something about it freaks me out, yes youve been running it for years but it just makes me a little un easy
What's mechanically different about a diesel engine aside from the fuel it runs on and its ignition system?

#15 ·
Saab999-5 said:
I dont plan on putting one on my car anyways when i get my exhaust re done next week thats not a worrie, its desiel truck oil in a car motor...something about it freaks me out, yes youve been running it for years but it just makes me a little un easy
If it bugs you, and your car doesn't have a history of sludge, then I recommend the Shell Rotella T 5w40 or the Esso XD-3 0w40 instead. They are both full synthetics with very good wear protection.

The TDT is a damn good oil though, and thousands of people run it in a wide variety cars with no issues. And remember, diesels have catalytic converters too. I would run it all the time, but it's just too expensive compared to the XD-3.

#16 ·
Saab999-5 said:
I dont plan on putting one on my car anyways when i get my exhaust re done next week thats not a worrie, its desiel truck oil in a car motor...something about it freaks me out, yes youve been running it for years but it just makes me a little un easy. I mean a desiel truck runs on desiel. i would figure that the oil would be different becuase of its a different type of vehicle, However theres turbo desiel trucks which must use a oil simliar to a turbo car. Couldnt you just do engine flush/oil change together to prevent oil sludge. And every couple years do a sump drop and have it all cleaned
Nothing i guess, im just a little slow and thing different fuel and what not would require certian oil that wouldnt go in a car.

#17 ·
stipud said:
ZDDP is invaluable as an engine cleaner.
ZDDP is an anti-wear additive, not a detergent. It's very important as an anti-wear additive, especially a stressful forced induction environment.

stipud said:
If you read BITOG or similar sites, the Mobil 1 TDT is one of their best rated oils. I haven't heard of a single instance of a clogged cat due to high ZDDP oils anyways. I've heard your argument more than a handful of times, with zero evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) to back it up.
Yes, we have a lot of evidence that says these oils are great for a wide variety of engines. The burden of proof does not lie with us.

#18 ·
Saab999-5 said:
Nothing i guess, im just a little slow and thing different fuel and what not would require certian oil that wouldnt go in a car.
Different fuel might be an issue, but thankfully we have these things called piston rings that keep the fuel and oil separate. ;)

#20 ·
I ran the Rottela T 5w-40 and now i switched over to the M1 TDT and have been very happy with both

im up here in michigan where we see some nasty cold weather, (not quite like Stipud) but some pretty cold weather so the 5w is good. I also do a TON on start and stop driving, turning the engine off and such. With both these oils running through the car i had the pan dropped 2 days ago and it was spotless. Very happy with both those oils!

#23 ·
Raven18940 said:
WICKETONE said:
No, the TD04 is bigger. The GT1752 is tiny. The TD04-15T-5 is on the small end of the mid-size turbos.
Ok, so I do have the larger turbo.lol I thought I had read that somewhere but couldn't remember for certain.

Thanks Raven for clearing that up for me!

So what is the largest turbo money can buy for my car then considering it is on the smaller side?

#24 ·
WICKETONE said:
So what is the largest turbo money can buy for my car then considering it is on the smaller side?
It's all relative, the TD04 is the biggest from SAAB from the factory, but in the grand scheme of turbos it's not that big. A GT4094R is probably around the biggest you can really go, but that's a 800 hp turbo and it's probably not going to spool until 6000 rpms at least.

#25 ·
Ok before this turns into a turbo size thread, i have one more thing to say. Stupid,raven and whoever else. I just came back from a indepentant service place that deals with saab,mercedez,bmw,volvo,audi and so on. They been open for 30 years are are very fusy and picky about their work which is good so they do amazing work.

I have the apointment book for after my stage 3 tune and other goodies get in, to do the drop and and clean it all up. When i was there a couple hours ago, i asked about the desiel truck oil and he re-insured me its fine, it works great cause of the additives and everything and that theres no real proof saying its a bad thing and so on. So with that said, i shall thank you both and whoever else i missed because id rather spend the money and run that and prevent sludge and keep it clean then not and blow a motor or something. I wont be running a cat. because we dont have emission tests here.

So im off to check wally-mart,crappy tire for that oil. I get 10% off anyway..my best bud gets a discount. :

#26 ·
Raven18940 said:
It's all relative, the TD04 is the biggest from SAAB from the factory, but in the grand scheme of turbos it's not that big. A GT4094R is probably around the biggest you can really go, but that's a 800 hp turbo and it's probably not going to spool until 6000 rpms at least.
Which makes it useless for me..lol Understood and will continue to stay happy with my BIG little guy..:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.