(!) Airbag Light - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16-02-09

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 SE
Default (!) Airbag Light

I looked around the forums but couldn't find a straight forward fix for the airbag light. It came on when I was driving home from getting the car running right. I checked multiple connections under the hood today and reseated many fuses. Is there anything that indirectly sets off this light? The airbag fuse is set correctly and isn't blown. Seems that my car has to have a ghetto personality. It has to have a couple things wrong. I get one thing fixed and another thing malfunctions LOL. I have also blew a taillight and headlight in the past 3 days. Haha my car yearns for attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 T7 5-Speed 5-Door

The fix for the airbag (SRS) light is to cut the wire that powers it. The fix for the airbag system itself, however, requires that you first find out what's wrong with it. This can be done by reading the trouble code.
Old 16-02-09

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 94 900 SE, 00 9-3 SE, 04 9-5 Aero

I too have the same problem and posted recently on same topic with no helpful responses. The archives had one post that I thought may be useful that involved disconnecting the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes then unplugging the AirBag module, then reconnecting...but I tried this and did not work for me. Look for this post in the archives searching with "SRS Light" Light is still on. Mechanic reset light and it came on again, so there is a fault somewhere in my system, but they cannot seem to be able to find it, they mentioned a load cell in the passenger door, but have to rip the door apart to check it out. I am new to this board so my posts dont get much attention, or there is a lack of widespread experience with this matter with folks here.
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

The most common failure of the SRS is the clockspring which connects the SRS main module to the driver's airbag in the steering wheel. Other things that can fail are the module itself, the passenger airbag, the pretensioners, and on later models, the side airbag ignitors, and the side impact pressure sensors. It's prohibitively expensive to replace every component so take it to the dealer or a good shop.
Old 16-02-09

The clockspring failure is easy to check, you horn and steering wheel radio controls will not work or work intermittently. This is a pretty easy, cheap fix if this is the case. There are good DIY instructions for this on another Saab board, possibly here as well as many of these guys post on both.

With my 00 9-3 SE, the Saab indie read the codes and a load cell (side airbag) failure in the passenger door is suspect, but door will have to be dismantled so it can be checked. He ran out of time the other day and did not get that done. I suspect my case is quite rare as I have not seen much on this.

You have to be careful taking stuff apart on the airbag system. So advice to get the codes read is sound...keep in mind that this may not lead to the exact problem, but it will get them in the ballpark. Bring it to someone you trust. Don't let them start throwing parts at it because, other than the clockspring...they are $$$. Local dealer just threw almost 2k of parts at my CPO 9-5 Aero when a DIC was all that was needed, glad it was not my money.
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 ng900 2.0 'vert, 2000 9-5 2.3T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill h.
I am new to this board so my posts dont get much attention, or there is a lack of widespread experience with this matter with folks here.
Welcome to the board! Please don't think that any lack of response is due to your name not being known. Generally, it's a matter of your question being about something that not many of us have had experience with or knowledge about or your description of the problem is incomplete or misleading.

I've owned Saabs for more than 20 years and done most of my own work. However, there are a lot of models that I have not owned and a lot of problems that I (thankfully) have not had to work out. I usually only respond if I think that there's a good chance that my input will solve the person's problem.

In this particular case, I haven't had much dealing with troubleshooting SRS problems. However, I don't think that the SRS codes will clear by disconnecting the battery. I believe that they need to be reset manually. A Tech II tool can certainly pull the codes that are causing the SRS light and can reset the light. However, that tool is so expensive that it's a dealer or independant mechanic item only. I'm not sure that a generic OBDII reader can clear the light although it should be able to pull the codes.

Generally speaking, any problem that lights a warning light on a vehicle from '96 on really wants a OBDII reader to properly troubleshoot. Modern engine control systems are so complicated and so interrelated, that not making use of the diagnostic tools that the engine has to offer will end up causing much more expense than is necessary. I've seen them from about $40 on up.

John
Old 16-02-09

Like I said...there is a possibility that few have delved into this area, and dont know anything about this. But one would expect better advice than cutting wires to warning lights or the one I got on my post that there are four indies somewhere in Ohio who have Tech 2 (over 900 miles from where I live, WTH?, now that was really helpful).

BTW, I have an OBDII reader, if you one one of these cars and plan to keep it for the long haul, get one, AutoZone will read them but will not reset or erase codes (liability). That tool is invaluable for CELs. However, it does not evaluate SRS warnings, for that you need the Tech2, which is only had by some Saab indies or the stealership. I will follow up on my open SRS repair when resolved to hopefully help others.

Curious...Is your seatbelt warning light also on? Mine is, along with the SRS light, it came on sometime later, so it might just be a coincidence and unrelated. I cleaned out the drivers seatbelt receptacle, but seat belt light is still on.
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill h.
Like I said...there is a possibility that few have delved into this area, and dont know anything about this. But one would expect better advice than cutting wires to warning lights
I'm sorry that my dry sense of humor is above your comprehension
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900 SE, 1989 C900 16v

My SRS light came on after I (stupidly!) switched the ignition on with the dashboard cluster disconnected. This led to an 'open circuit' for the warning light - which illuminates the light. (How backward is that - the light doesn't work, so let's light up the light )

I was forced to take it to Saab in the end - there isn't ANY way (that I know of) of resetting the lamp otherwise, as the SRS/Airbag system has a seperate ECU that OBD2 scanners just can't talk to.

As has been mentioned previously - don't take the risk of delving in yourself;

a) You won't be able to reset the code anyway
b) Something may go bang in your face!

Billh - I haven't seen your post, but a common failure point on the Vauxhall Vectra (similar car) is the wiring for the seatbelt pretensioners under the seat - the joints break where people kick the wiring / move the seat etc. Maybe this might be worth investigating?

1989 Saab 900i 16v Auto - Red
Standard as the day it was born - my Sunday car!
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1995 900SE convert. V6

bill h.

I took it that the comment that all four indie shops in the Columbus area have Tech 2 was meant to illustrate that ownership of that tool is common among indie shops, and not that anybody needed to go to Ohio to access that capability.

Last edited by john bernard; 16-02-09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 16-02-09
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

The SRS light has been on in my car for the past 3 years.

This MAY have been caused by my erroneous pulling of the SRS fuse when I was working on the rear door power windows.
I did go to the dealer ($40 or so) to have the codes read. They determined that a short in the instrument cluster warning lights was the cause...To fix, another several hundred $$$.$$ I will look at this this spring when the weather is nice.
It was not the clockspring,which I checked out myself using some disassembly and the multimeter.
Best to secure the Tech 2 services and a good schematic.. This will be costly... and for this, junk yard parts are probably no good..
I may just absorb Darren's advice and maybe cut the wire......
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 16-02-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3SE

For the M98-99 9-3 Up to VIN X2027727 there is a service bulletin on what is wrong with the SRS/Airbag System. The Service Bulletin Number is 850-2076. Its sitting in my lap. I need to do it on my car. Basically Saab used to manufacture just the harness that was faulty but now its a lot more other parts that I don't need. I'm looking for the the original harness. Its a difference of a $50 part and a $300 package.

If it would help I may scan the pages and host them on snapdrive in a zip file. Let me know and I will do so.

Sleepy
Old 16-02-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3SE

PS. I had my system read by a friend whos Saab Mechanic with a Tech2 after work. So he read the code.

Also The Service Bulletins is titled Spurious DTCs in Airbag System (SRS).
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

Earthworm - be wary you don't fall into the same trap that I did - the service manager at my local dealership wasn't happy with just resetting the codes, he wanted to do a full check and repair but I told them NO, just reset the code please.

When he told me that it was "an open circuit for the SRS dashboard lamp" he said that it would need diagnostics and likely a repair, until I pointed out to him that as I had the dash out (and subsequently switched on the ignition), of course it would have been an open circuit, as it was never plugged in!

Two years on everything is still fine. Perhaps pulling the fuse has 'switched off' the system and when the ECU looks for it, can't find it and throws a code..

Old 16-02-09

Sleepy;

I think I ran across this (spurious SRS light) on Townsend Motors (sp?) Site a couple of years back where he listed a bunch of tech service bulletins for these cars. I lost my link, but will try to find it. If unsuccessful, can you post it or a link to it? I understand when the light is on none of the airbags are functional.

These are things you never hope to use, but it could be a lifesaver for any one of us when we least expect it. So we should rather have them and never need them.
Old 16-02-09
Saab Lunatic

http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_...s/850_2076.PDF

Old 17-02-09

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 SE

So was this fault ever made into a recall? If so, has it expired already?
Old 16-04-11

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 00 2.3 hot aero stage 2 BSR 280 bhp
Talking airbag on.

Hi all. Today I removed my old carpet from the front , left and right. I remove the driver seat (right) and I unplug the seat. I got a phonecall from a friend and I had to go in a rush. So I fit the seat back without plugging the seat back. I turn the engine on, and airbag light came on. After I finish with my friend I was continuing with my carpet. I connect the seat back , start the engine and the light is on, I disconnect the battery and is the same. Can any of u help me up? thanks
Old 16-04-11

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900s Convertible

Read through this thread, SRS light can only be reset with the TechII.
Apparently, with SAAB's, once the light is on there is no way to manually reset it.
I have an intermittent SRS light on my Toyota Matrix, all I need to do is turn the car off for about 30 seconds and it goeas away.

Tom
Old 16-04-11
Saab Lunatic

Wow - not logged on here in a while!

In reply bud, you'll likely need to go to Saab (or a good indy with a decent code reader) to get the code reset - your car will have seat airbags which of course has probably tripped the warning light when you started it with them disconnected.

As far as I can tell disconnecting the battery won't clear the code, but it might be worth a shot anyway - cars change after all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement