looking at 1st Saab 2006 9-3 Sportcombi aero - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th January 2009
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

It has been a great car so far. Just few minor things I don't like and I sometimes wish I would have bought a non-Aero model with the softer suspension.

But the CPO experience has been great so far. I already had 2 xenon bulbs replaced and a new spare key was made so that already saved me about $500. My dealer in California has been great with even sending a part to my home in Michigan that they didn't have in stock when I picked up the car. I am glad I bought from a Saab dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th January 2009

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Combi Aero

that sounds positive, thank you for your informative input!

always leery about buying a used car as you dont know how it was treated by the previous owner...... and in my younger days, i rented cars while deployed to other bases and know how i treated those!!!!
Old 27th January 2009
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 06 9-3 SS

I have a 2006 4 cyl sedan and it's pretty good. Sounds like this could be a fun change for you. The Aero will be speedy.

If you can work on cars, that will save you maintenance money. This makes Saab ownership pretty reasonable for you. It sounds like you are planning to keep it a while. I am planning 10+ years, till 2016 at least.
Old 27th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik
I have a 2006 4 cyl sedan and it's pretty good. Sounds like this could be a fun change for you. The Aero will be speedy.

If you can work on cars, that will save you maintenance money. This makes Saab ownership pretty reasonable for you. It sounds like you are planning to keep it a while. I am planning 10+ years, till 2016 at least.
yes, quite a change! my current stable...

1988 Monte Carlo SS = old, but tight handling suspension, cool looks
1974 corvette , 1960's suspension, gas guzzling raw power!
2006 Chevy Silverado crew cab = its a truck!

2006 Saab Aero, when i took it for a test drive it felt like I was driving a waveless waterbed!

Last edited by 74stingray; 28th January 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 27th January 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3SS Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS
So the engine is made in Australia and shipped to europe where it is installed in the car? Or is the engine a Holden design?

The ecotec is an Opel (German) engine made in Germany and shipped to Trollhattan. GM uses the same design to build "ecotec" engines in the US, but they aren't Opel and are US made.

It would be interesting to hear that they are assembled in Australia and shipped all the way to europe.
According to my window sticker the engine is made in Australia. The Transmission - Japan. Completely assemble in Sweden.

Thats not too Crazy. BMW Z4's engine is made in Germany I believe and the car is assembled here in the US. It doesn't seem too crazy that they would import the engine to Sweden, does it?

Last edited by Ferms_93_2.8T; 28th January 2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 28th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Titan Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferms_93_2.8T
According to my window sticker the engine is made in Australia. The Transmission - Japan. Completely assemble in Sweden.

Thats not too Crazy. BMW Z4's engine is made in Germany I believe and the car is assembled here in the US. It doesn't seem to crazy that they would import the engine to Sweden, does it?
Ferms your right about the engine and where its produced. for the convertible, i believe the engine goes to austria? maybe cause i think thats where magna steyr is.
Old 28th January 2009

Any further price advice?
Old 28th January 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74stingray
Any further price advice?
CPO is usually about $1,500 - $1,800 extra (dealer cost is around $1,100). So $19K - $1,500 = $17,500 seems like a very decent price for this car with pretty low miles.

Same color combo like I had in my 2006.

Old 28th January 2009

Since it is snowing here today, it begs the question,

How are they in the snow?
Old 28th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS
So the engine is made in Australia and shipped to europe where it is installed in the car? Or is the engine a Holden design?

The ecotec is an Opel (German) engine made in Germany and shipped to Trollhattan. GM uses the same design to build "ecotec" engines in the US, but they aren't Opel and are US made.

It would be interesting to hear that they are assembled in Australia and shipped all the way to europe.
If I recall correctly the main block is cast in Mexico and shipped to Australia where it is put together with the rest of the engine which is then shipped to Trollhatten where it is put in the car which is then shipped to America to be sold. The engine pretty much does a round the world tour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

Maybe not - it is the LP9 variant
Old 28th January 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9 Aero SC

Quote:

I have the same exact car, except without the roof rails (which I wish I had) and I have parchment interior. I bought it in November with 21k on it for $17500, but that did not include CPO. It still has factory warranty until June 2010, so I felt comfortable going without CPO. At the time, it was the least expensive car around by far. Of course, only two months later I am finding similar deals that include CPO. I was absolutely bent on getting an Aero, having been used to owning an '03 9-5 Aero sedan. Now I'm not convinced that going Aero was the way to go. Everyone seems to think the power in the 2.0 is adequate and with significantly better fuel economy. This car is smaller and lighter than my 9-5, with the same HP and torque, but with worse mileage. - Go figure!

Anyway, to answer your question, with snow tires the car is pretty awesome in the snow. I wouldn't trust the Conti all seasons though.

Good luck and go for it!
Old 28th January 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
If I recall correctly the main block is cast in Mexico and shipped to Australia where it is put together with the rest of the engine which is then shipped to Trollhatten where it is put in the car which is then shipped to America to be sold. The engine pretty much does a round the world tour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

Maybe not - it is the LP9 variant
I think you're correct here SMH.

And Wulf you are nowhere near a dealer are you in NW MI?
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 28th January 2009

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: None....Yet

I am looking at a black one here, same as yours in every way, even the same mileage. With all you have going for you (CPO, low miles, DIY) I say go for it. The 9-3 SC is very unique, and even more so in Aero trim.

Let me ask this question to all of you, would anyone consider a 9-3 SC 2.8T OUT of warranty and WITHOUT being CPO'd? (say between 50K & 60K) How have these held up over the past couple of years as a whole? Not trying to steal this thread........just considering all options. Thanks in advance.
Old 28th January 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicflash
And Wulf you are nowhere near a dealer are you in NW MI?
The closest dealer is about 150 miles away in Grand Rapids so that's kind of a pain.
Old 28th January 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Borth
I am looking at a black one here, same as yours in every way, even the same mileage. With all you have going for you (CPO, low miles, DIY) I say go for it. The 9-3 SC is very unique, and even more so in Aero trim.

Let me ask this question to all of you, would anyone consider a 9-3 SC 2.8T OUT of warranty and WITHOUT being CPO'd? (say between 50K & 60K) How have these held up over the past couple of years as a whole? Not trying to steal this thread........just considering all options. Thanks in advance.
Your post in another thread mentioned $2000 difference. I would gladly pay that amount to get a car with 25K miles and 100K CPO warranty instead of 51K and out of warranty.
Old 28th January 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                

Quote:

I don't have an aero so I can't exactly say how well they are, but I did drive a combi in rain and they handle just fine. Pretty much same thing as the sedan just with a roof over the trunk.

You sound pretty experienced with cars so I'm sure you know these tricks but anyhoo... (Whether you get auto or manual you still have the ability to change your starting gear) if you start in 2nd or 3rd to pull out and have a nice set of winter tires (i have kumho all season and they do just fine actually) these cars don't slip at all. FWD is definitely the way to go in snow... (lucky XWD people get it better... grrr) I have to gun it to make my car slide around. And even when I do the traction control and abs almost always snap you back in shape after maybe 1 swurve. Stopping distance only increases by about 1/2 or so. Not too bad. Combi's have a lil more weight behind them, so it maybe a lil further but not much.

Even with our little electrical gremlins, these cars do make you feel safe in them when you drive.
Old 28th January 2009

Again all, thanks for the input. Ill make a call and offer them a lower number!

to be honest, its a toss up between a 2009 Pontiac G6 and this SC

I can get a new car for less, but it is a lesser car and a lesser warranty..... hard to believe that the saabs USED CPO warranty is better than the Pontiac new warranty.

Last edited by 74stingray; 28th January 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 28th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Titan Gray

Quote:
Again all, thanks for the input. Ill make a call and offer them a lower number!

to be honest, its a toss up between a 2009 Pontiac G6 and this SC

I can get a new car for less, but it is a lesser car and a lesser warranty..... hard to believe that the saabs USED CPO warranty is better than the Pontiac new warranty.
please dont get a G6, try to get a used G8 gt or even a used 9-5.
Old 29th January 2009
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 06 9-3 SS

Quote:

Very good. The Electronic Stability / Traction Control is the best ever.

It makes the car handle like an AWD. It doesn't slow you down, it kicks the tail out automatically to help you achieve the turn. It's all smooth as glass.

I love AWD vehicles, they are great. But a 9-3 with decent OK tires _feels_ just about the same as a AWD, due to how they programmed the chassis.

In Minneapolis it's all about bombing around snow covered city streets. Control matters a lot.
Old 29th January 2009

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: None....Yet

Agreed. These cars are born and raised in snow and have wonderful traction systems in place. It's fun zipping along side-by-side with midwestern SUV's who think they own the road. No worries there, mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement