Something Strange - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17-01-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc
Default Something Strange

I've been plagued with the awful creak the suspension makes in the cold over bumps. It started out for me only when the car wasn't heated up but now regardless it does it at every bump. Anyway, my car had some serious salt build up and I figured I'd go for the whole package and get the underwash too. On the way home as I cringed for the dip in the road that makes my car creak the most, I only heard a faint noise, not the usual loud as can be creak. So my question, is it a coincidence that my car got better after the underwash or could this underwash be magic to our groaning suspensions?
Advertisement

Old 17-01-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: '04 9 2.0t Vector Convertible (BSR St1)

I've been told by SAAB techs that the creak is the fact the suspension bushes are cold, and hence can't expand and compress properly. Could it be that perhaps yours were also being constricted by compacted road salt/etc?

2004 Saab 9 2.0t Vector Convertible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-01-09
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Sportcombi 2.0T, 5-M/T

I find that just getting the undercarriage wet, as when driving in the rain, quiets my suspension significantly.
Old 18-01-09
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

You never know with this car Tonight was extra cold at just 5 degrees and my creak was less audible than usual so thats good news for me. I had my tires simonized also and they look so good, I recommend it to anyone.
Old 18-01-09
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 SS, BSR PPC, Magnaflow exhaust

Bushing creak is a common problem with this car, do a search and you'll find lots of hits. Get used to it in under 0C weather. Good thing is you can't hear it at cruising speeds.
The water from the car wash may have temporarily relieved some of the noise or warmed the bushings up if there was any heated water in the wash. I wouldn't suggest the salt causes the noise to get worse, but it pays to keep your car free of salt for many other reasons as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement