Vtuner purchased - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th January 2009

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 93 Aero
Default Vtuner purchased

I should get the vtuner kit for my 2008 aero tomorrow. I can't wait to test it.

I tell you guys what i think once it's installed. I have a big trip thursday and friday. This should give me plenty of time to try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th January 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: MY03 Vector - Sold| 2011 Accord Coupe V6

By the gains he reports, the tune should be impressive over stock... congrats
Old 13th January 2009

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Jet Black 9-3 Aero
Talking

Yes Please a nice review would be great. I have been waiting for an 08 Aero to try it out. Let me know what you think. I talked to vtuner about it and everything just haven't bought it yet. Maybe test on a dyno and se the numbers?
Old 13th January 2009

I don't mind being the scapegoat. I am hoping it will work out pretty well. I am VERY excited about trying it out tomorrow. I think a lot of people have kept away just because he's the little guy. I hoping to prove that that David can sometime beat Goliath. I will definitely post a review this weekend. After I have had a few days of real driving with it.

Regards,

Technog0d
Old 13th January 2009
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan

I can't wait to read on this.

What happens if you decide to add mods to your car and need a retune, is there a charge for this?

Stephen
Vtune Satge 0 - CAI - Glowshift Boost Gauge
Old 13th January 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by technog0d
I think a lot of people have kept away just because he's the little guy. I hoping to prove that that David can sometime beat Goliath.
While I agree that many people have kept away because he is the little guy, I don't think this is the only reason. I kept away for a few reasons, and one of them was not that I don't wish for him to succeed. I do wish him all the best.

And this is not a case of David vs Goliath....BSR has created what they consider a "safe" tune. Meaning that by tuning your car with their software they believe you are not risking damaging your engine or transmission components. Where as it seems VTuner went more to push the limits of the engine. Which is fine if you plan to do racing with your car, and can afford tranny and clutchwork sooner than most will. But stability of your car over a long period of time is still unknown, as he has only been doing the tuning a short time. Honestly, accoring to his number he beats BSRs tune hands down...Im just saying that it could come at the price of some of your other components.

I hate to sound like I am putting Vtuner down in this post, but I just hate to see an unfair comparison between the 2 because its not a level playing field. Im sure BSR knows theres more power to be had, but did not want complaints after about things breaking, thats all.
Old 13th January 2009

You know I look at that a couple of ways... BSR is in the business to make money. They have multiple stages for every car they have tuning packages for. When you look at tuning they generally offer stages 1, 2, and 3. They would like to entice you with stage 1 and then have you purchase stage 2 and/or 3. This is good business practice. It's marketing. When you look at what BSR offers in stage 3, it's an exhaust, injectors and a turbo upgrade. None of those are going to help you with your axels or engine components like pistons, etc... So i guess the real question is how much can the existing injectors and turbo handle. If Vtuner is within the normal operating range than i don't see a problem. I imagine the turbo upgrade is just s bigger wheel. They don't specify. I definitely believe BSR is a good tune, but i think they would like you to purchase their other options. It is just good business and i cannot fault them for that.

To use another example, many of the base turbo cars can usually perform to the same specs of their more expensive counterparts, but they detune them in order to not compete with their more expensive models in their category. For example... The audi 2.0T is around 210 horsepower and the v6 is 250 hp or something like that. They could make them the same HP but then alot of people would not justify the cost of the more expensive model.

THe other option may be true. Maybe BSR is tuning what they think is good for the car. The Vtuner can be tuned down since the software is provided to tweak the tune. At least you have the capability to really see what your car is doing and then make decisions on how to tune or detune the car.

I don't mean for this to be anything against BSR. I support all tuning companies. I just think we may be getting a better deal with vtuner. I guess i will find out tomorrow. :-)

Regards to all,

Technog0d
Old 14th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: wrx

honestly, I really think that the vtuner vs. bsr/other tuners war has been played out far too much already.

let's not get into that again because it's boring and not helpful to anyone

we eagerly await your review
Old 15th January 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 Aero, 2005 93 Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab19
honestly, I really think that the vtuner vs. bsr/other tuners war has been played out far too much already.

let's not get into that again because it's boring and not helpful to anyone

we eagerly await your review
I second that motion.
Old 15th January 2009

arghh my cars flatbedded!!! No... Just kidding :-)

So here's how it went:

- Ordered the kit from Vtuner overnight
- Got confirmation that kit was delivered along with an activation key and serial number for the HP Tuner interface
- I am very impatient so i wanted everything ahead of time and Brian at Vtuner was graeful enough to send me everything i would need in order to prepare everything

This means the instructions, and new map.

Here is the process....

- install HP Tuner's latest version of vsuite on my Acer Aspire one that i bought just for this purpose.
- Plug in the HP Tuner MPVI interface via usb into the laptop and install drivers
- bring laptop and interface to the car and connect interface to ODBII port
- Download the cars base config and store it in a safe place. This process took about 25 minutes and only needs to be done once.
- Open by compare the new Vtuner map and apply differences. This process takes about 30 seconds.
-Turn car on and hope for no BOOM!

All and all a very simple process.

More IMPORTANT:

How does it drive???

All I can say is WOW! What a difference. You really have to be careful not to gun it in 1st because even your tracktion control will be like, "What's up?!!"

I have to first state the the tune is very linear in nature. Meaning that it all of the acceleration feels very strong and smooth. I cannot vouch for the internal temperatures of all the engine components under the new stress.

But, It doesn't feel like I am stressing the car, even though I have all of this extra power. I am not getting and CELs or other alerts and everything seems to work as advertised.

I took a long ride to connecticut this morning from Philadelphia. Unfortunately it was snowing most of the way. So, I couldn't really test the perfomance today. I am staying in New york today and I did have a 335 coupe try and race me, but there wasn't alot of room with traffic. I definitly out accelerated him, but he did give me a good run.

I will post some more specific information and long term results as i drive it more. In the mean time please feel free to ask.

I just have to say it has been a very pleasant experience dealing with Brian at Vtuners and so far I would really recommend it. Again, I will update with more long term results in the future.

One more thing... I think someone asked if it could be tuned for other modifications. My answer would be defintely... You get the Whole HP tuner suite which is in itself more expensive to by direct from HP Tuners than what the Tune cost with the HP suite from Vtuners. If you know enough you can tune it yourself, or Brian said he would charge a fee for creating a new map, if he doesn't have one for your scenario.

Regards to all,

Technog0d
Old 16th January 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2011 BMW 335i

nice! enjoy reading reviews.
Old 16th January 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Wow technogod!

You are one gutsy and gamblin' man Good luck and keep us posted how things go especially long term.

I'm guessing I've got the most BSR tuned miles (at 53,000 mi. and tuned at 4,000) so we'll have to compare notes.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 16th January 2009
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan

thanks for the review!

I am also looking at going this way. My last tuned car was done by an individual who came recommended to me by a few people, and he even used HPtuner. The car ran great with no problems.

I guess i will bite the bullet and start working on getting this

Stephen
Vtune Satge 0 - CAI - Glowshift Boost Gauge
Old 27th January 2009

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 SportCombi Aero

I have nothing but good things to say about communicating with Brian. I'm actually heading out to VT on vacation and meeting him for the reflash, hoping to road tune a bit to really make the numbers solid and fine tuned for my wife's car. I will have some dyno time with my car which is a subaru turbo (going meth injection to maintain summer performance in the heat ) and will hopefully have some extra cash to strap up the wife's snaab =p). I'll be able to report a baseline and VTuner Stage 0 chart.

Personally I think anyone who has a tuned car (even off the shelf) should be able to connect their laptop and log on occassion to make sure the numbers are ok (even better are to have the right gauges). I've been stage 3 with my Subaru for 20k miles now with no issues. A few times I've posted weird numbers when logging which turned out to be a loose hose. Getting a BSR which doesn't allow me to log or tune the car isn't an option for me. I LOVE how VTuner comes with HP Tuner software. Well known software in the tuning community. Now if I bolt on other power adders I can have the car retuned specifically for the new part. Safer long term imo. Each car is slightly different, I will always road tune / protune my cars. My $.02

You can even remote tune (email logs and get emailed back updated maps).
2005 Subaru Forester XT 19psi boost 292whp/337wtq
===========
Past cars
1987 Porsche 924s / 2003 WRX Sedan / 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan

Last edited by stripedrex; 27th January 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 27th January 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 2.0T

I wish the VTuner was available for the 2.0T engine too, I'd love to be able to modify the tune myself.
Old 27th January 2009

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 SportCombi Aero

Technogod when you're ready, please put a dry weather review on the tune =). Are you datalogging? How to the numbers look, can you post a datalog? =)
2005 Subaru Forester XT 19psi boost 292whp/337wtq
===========
Past cars
1987 Porsche 924s / 2003 WRX Sedan / 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan
Old 27th January 2009

My Saabs: '06 9-3 SS 6MT

*subscribed*

I pick up my '06 9-3 Aero SS 6m today. You can bet that I'll be ordering a vtuner before long.

I've spoken to Brian a few times as well. Hands down the most helpful and knowledgeable person I've ever talked to regarding this stuff.

-Collin-
Old 27th January 2009

My Saabs: 1999 9-3, 2006 9-3 Aero
Thumbs up

Brian knows his stuff, and he's not afraid to help you if you need it. It's more powerful than BSR, cheaper, and great support.

I just got his upgrade working yesterday, and besides for fearing for my life when that turbo gauge tops out, everything is great!

cheers indeed!
Old 27th January 2009

My Saabs: '06 9-3 SS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergilson
Brian knows his stuff, and he's not afraid to help you if you need it. It's more powerful than BSR, cheaper, and great support.

I just got his upgrade working yesterday, and besides for fearing for my life when that turbo gauge tops out, everything is great!

cheers indeed!
Awesome...another user!

Can you give an approximate 0-60 time? I want to see if it's in line with Brian's times. Thanks!

-Collin-
Old 27th January 2009

My Saabs: 1999 9-3, 2006 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R
Awesome...another user!

Can you give an approximate 0-60 time? I want to see if it's in line with Brian's times. Thanks!

-Collin-

On PA roads this time of year? Sorry!

Perhaps when they thaw and the cinders go away, I will have figured out how to launch without spinning the tires the whole way to 60mph and I'll give you a good time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement