Tearing my hair out with Aux-in! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th January 2009

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-3SS Aero
Default Tearing my hair out with Aux-in!

After reading every single thread I could find on the Aux-in for 9-3SS I had the aux-in activated and installed the saab cable from the armrest to the EHU....

...then all I could hear was hissing (regardless of mp3 plugged in or not), and extremely low volume. Aha, must be the resistor problem...

...so I've managed to get a 2006 EHU reasonably cheap (part no. 12761502) which other members here have used with no problems...except guess what, I get exactly the same symptoms. No volume from the mp3 and hissing whenever I switch the source to Aux.

Tearing my hair out over this - is the only option to pull the unit out again and check the resistors even on the newer EHU? Don't want to start desoldering the entire unit if I can help it (cunningly the PCB is soldered to EHU chassis!)

Appreciate any ideas!

Thx

Khalid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible

You say you've already read all the aux-in threads, so you know about the 2 seperate resistor issues. The only thing I can think of is that the 2006 EHU you got hold of was infact built in 2003 then refurbished as-new as opposed to being built in 2006. I suggest pulling the EHU out again and checking the H/W (hardware) and S/W (software) numbers as well as the part number.

Post the numbers here, or even post a photo of the label on the EHU, I know somewhere here is a post with a link to finding out what version of software the number relates to. I was a poster in that thread, infact I started the thread and I'll try and find it.

here's the thread : EHU part number
and her'e the relevant post :
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz
Go here and enter your VIN:
http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Select "Get Cal ID"
At the next step select EHU.
That will take you to a drop box with all the valid EHU HW #'s.
Choose a number to see the latest software version.
Select "History" to see all valid SW #'s for that HW #.

Here's the relevant thread regarding the line-level for aux and resistors in the EHU:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...7&page=3&pp=20
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old
Old 12th January 2009

In a moment of skepticism, I took a photo of the EHU label before installing!!! (jpeg attached)

I remember the two resistor issues, one for the low line-in volume and the other for the noise.

I'll feel frustrated if the H/W S/W versions are somehow older, but I'll feel a little better because that means I'm not doing anything stupid!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_086.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	11368  
Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

The website link I posted earlier is'nt working for me now, but checking the numbers in your photo against the numbers I posted in the Thread I quoted, your new EHU should be exactly the same as the 2006 one that I purchased and that solved the problem for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedol
H/W :12803733
S/W :12761498

These are for the new EHU I purchased, as already mentioned, previous part numbers for the EHU have now been superceded by 12761502.

Steve.
Sorry I could'nt be of more help
Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93SS Arc

Have you tried using another source other than your mp3 player... should not matter but why not start simple. Plug in your laptop or phone and see if you can get it to play....

are you certain they installed it in the correct pins on the unit? This may be the simplest of things, but I dont trust my dealer so I did it myself.

defective cable maybe?

I have an 03, I put an in-line resistor and its been perfect from day 1. not sure what you guys are referencing in regards to issues with the 03's.....
Old 12th January 2009

Thx for trying stevedol!

Guess I might have to resort to getting the meter out to check the resistances on the PCB.

Hi Callip, the mp3 plays through the stereo, just at an exceptionally low volume, and the hissing is there regardless of anything being plugged into the mp3 jack.

I had done the install myself as well as it's pretty easy to do, and you can't mess up the connections as the mp3 cable plug will only fit in one place on the EHU.

The early '03s EHUs had a design/manufacturing fault where the resistors on the aux line-in were of an order 20 times too high (or something, can't remember exact figures right now), and there was another pair of resistors that were to dampen the hissing which had too low a resistance.

My SS is late '03 so I was hoping to avoid the problem, but wasn't too surprised with the symptoms - but I was very surprised with '06 EHU I plugged in!!!

Picture the feeling of elation as everything went snugly back-in to the dashboard, ignition on, mp3 on, then nothing
Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallipNCSUsaab
not sure what you guys are referencing in regards to issues with the 03's.....
There are 2 issues with very early build EHU's :

1. there can be an audible interfernce if you have the aux in selected, but no source plugged in.

2. there are 4 resistors inside the EHU that control the source level of the aux input - these were wrong for early EHU's, but were corrected early MY2004

see Aux-in, Tel 1 a reality for the 2003+ 9-3!!! for more information about these issues and much more info about the entire 2003-2006 audio system.

Steve.
Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93SS Arc

^ and ^^, thanks. I was not aware of any of those issues. I guess I will just count my blessings for not noticing any of those issues. This is obviously above me, good luck with getting a fix. If anyone can help, you are in the right place.
Old 12th January 2009

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-SS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm
...then all I could hear was hissing (regardless of mp3 plugged in or not), and extremely low volume. Aha, must be the resistor problem...

No volume from the mp3 and hissing whenever I switch the source to Aux.
Actually, there is a hissing/buzzing noise when I go to the AUX setting. When I plug in my iPod, the hissing immediately subsides. I noticed that the volume on my iPod can't be at full or it will hiss.

Old 12th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainment
I'll sum up all my answers to your questions.

-I'm not an expert in TechII software, so I can't tell if AUX is in all MY04. But all cars can be equipped with AUX, the EHU hardware is the same in all US cars and the function AUX is built-in in all ICM models (but not activated, this is what you do with the............................................... ..... TechII).

You should go back to the dealer, because you probably have some hardware fault in your AMP2 (or maybe only the parameter file has been corrupt in some way when downloaded into your car). The 6x9" should play much more.
We had some AMP2's at Saab with this kind of faults, but I don't remember exactly what the fault was.

Epsilon93: The MY03 EHU had a fault in the resistors for the AUX input, this is changed to MY04. So the level is much better in MY04 cars.
Then there is an other fix in cars built from somewhere around w340 and forward, there is 2 resistor (10kohm) added to the PCB that takes care of the background noise that exist when nothing is connected in the AUX input (try this: activate AUX and do not connect anything in the input. You'll hear a background noise). This fix can be done on the AUX cable also. Just add 2 micro-resistors (10kohm) between AUX-R -- GND and AUX-L -- GND. This will drop the noise level by appr. 15dB.
I feel lazy to write but I found this.
theses two micro-resistor must be in the aux plug 3.5 (micro elect.board welding cables). defective welding wires plug may be the problem. take count theses connector are made in........... ?.

Old 12th January 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

krm,
Have you done a continuity check on your aux cable? Sounds like there may be a break in the shield (ground).

Where did you get the cable? Is it possible you have unshielded cable?

I would also verify the proper wiring.

Pin 3 - left - should go to tip on the stereo jack
Pin 4 - right - should go to ring
Pin 10 - ground - should go to sleeve

Some stuff I summarized:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=185

Last edited by ctrlz; 13th January 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 13th January 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3

I'd like to note that mine makes noise or its at least a lot worse when I have my charger plugged in to the socket it doesn't seem to matter if its plugged in to my iphone or not. Just something worth checking imo.
Old 13th January 2009

Thx for the replies all!

I'm sort of surprised to see that this is still a bugbear for a lot of people.

I think I'll check my Aux cable - I had assumed it was ok as it's the official saab part (and it's got a label on it saying 'test passed'!!)

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out - annoying, but interesting.
Old 15th January 2009

I've checked my H/W and part no. on http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

....it checks out as a 2006 EHU, and post the HW tweaks to fix the audio hiss, and low level on the Aux-in.

What gives? Don't get it

(My SS is 2004 build as well according to the VIN so should have missed out on this problem in the first place...theoretically).
Old 15th January 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

How did you make out testing the cable? Based on your posts, I assume you have a DVM and can check resistance. It may be hard to verify it is actually shielded cable without taking apart the ends (might not be possible).

Since you have gone to so much trouble, you might as well try using the cable to pass a signal to a known good device like a boom box. You will have to rig up a stereo plug to some 3-conductor wire and attach pins to the opposite end from the plug. Stick those pins in the appropriate slots on the end of the Saab cable which plugs into the EHU. See what kind of sound you get.

I still think you have a bad cable or connection. Maybe the female Saab plug is not contacting the pins on the EHU properly. They are very skinny pins.
Old 16th January 2009

Hi ctrlz, I'm going to try and test the cable this weekend. Hopefully can get the time (missus is pushing for DIY.....)

I hope your hunch is right about the cable - only thing makes me concerned is the hissing noise when nothing is connected....symptomatic of incorrect resistors....then again a couple of the members here have said the hissing goes away when the connect their mp3's.

I feel like this is in the lap of the nordic gods!
Old 16th January 2009

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 aero

I am driving a 2008 9-3 Aero and have found that the aux in delivers an unacceptably low volume level when I plug in my Sandisk MP3 player. So now I see that this has been a common problem, and that it is supposedly fixed in later model years. So much for that. Time to go after the dealer on it.
Old 16th January 2009

You definitely should not be having any problems with the Aux-in on 2008.

Don't let 'em give you the run around on this.
Old 16th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleineGTI
I am driving a 2008 9-3 Aero and have found that the aux in delivers an unacceptably low volume level when I plug in my Sandisk MP3 player. So now I see that this has been a common problem, and that it is supposedly fixed in later model years. So much for that. Time to go after the dealer on it.
turn the volume to the maximum in the Sandisk MP3 player for good entrance sound level in the AUX IN.

but all depend of the amplifier power of the device than you connect.
try with another device.

Old 16th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleineGTI
2007+ cars have a completely different sound system to the 2003-2006 cars, so the cause of your low volume aux will not be the same as the issues listed in this thread.

Definitely see the dealer and see what they have to say about it, I can't comment on the new GM/Saab headunit's aux-in as I replaced mine with an aftermarket headunit before ever plugging anything into the aux-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement