Loose timing chain - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th January 2009

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 2.0L turbo
Default Loose timing chain

I own a 2000 9-3 2.0L and had noticed a relatively loud rattling noise coming from the right side of the engine (left side if you are looking under the hood). I removed the valve cover and found the timing chain was noticeably loose. It doesn't appear loose enough to be able to slip a tooth, though the chain is definitely not taut. I can move the middle of the chain probably a good 1.5 - 2 cm from top to bottom. I can manually move the intake cam sprocket to make the chain tight. When I do this, I can see the tensioner guide does move to keep contact with the chain, it just doesn't seem to be able to maintain tension itself. I have read that replacing the timing chain tensioner an engine-out job, and would just like another opinion confirming the tensioner is shot and is causing the noise, and I want to make sure it can't be replaced in the car before I go tearing out my engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE 2.0t Convertible a.k.a. Aeron

if you're hearing a "death rattle" from the engine that's changing with the rpm, then it's most likely time for a replacement. before the chain in my father's car was replaced, it did make that same sort of noise, and there's no other way for me to describe it. look at it this way though: you can easily fix and upgrade lots of things with the engine out!
Old 6th January 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=137843

http://www.geocities.com/ng900set/TC...er.html?200728

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=130643

These should give an idea as how to proceed.
173K miles in the good ole USA

Last edited by earthworm; 6th January 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 6th January 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

Can you explain more about the noise?
I totally thought that my car had the timing chain problem, but it wasn't the chain. It sounded like death rattle whenever I started my car. It disappeared after I drove about 15min.
It was idle pulley, tensioner pulley. Make sure you use a screw driver to pin point the noise. If you do not hear any rattle noise when the screw driver is touching valve cover, it might not the timing chain problem.

I don't know whether the chain suppose to move about 1-2cm when you life it up or press it down, but make sure you check those pulleys and water pump too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement