Has anyone seen an ABS module failure WITHOUT speedometer failure? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd January 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
Default Has anyone seen an ABS module failure WITHOUT speedometer failure?

I.e., a symptom where your abs module failed and posted ABS/brake lights, but the speedometer was operational (I know the speedometer usually goes out when the abs module fails). I am curious if an ABS/brake light combination can be due to anything else besides abs module failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

I have not, but what I would try is removing all the sensors and cleaning them. This is a very easy job and you might get lucky. I did this and it worked great for a few months but the abs/tcs light would then come on once in a while. What fixed it (so far) is cleaning the ringed tooth gears on the front axles as mine were dirty as hell. Worth a try. On my 2002 I also removed the cover to the abs module and cleaned the terminals.
Old 3rd January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: .

Its not entirely impossible to have an ABS module fail while still having the speedo work, things don't always happen the same way twice. Its possible that the ABS module may be working but the ABS pump quit, so the module would still pass the speedo signal on to the cluster.

So yes there are indeed many more problems that can cause the ABS/Brake light to illuminate, hence why OBDII was invented. It all depends on what year you car is (its not in your profile), if it is OBDII then getting the system scanned by someone that has a very good scanner (TECH2) will reveal the ABS/Brake Fault and codes.
Old 4th January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2x 1999 saab 9-3se stage 3
Garage

probably the abs sensor instead if you get the code read by a garage with a tec2 reader then you can find out which sensor went bad
Old 18th June 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 07' 9-7x 5.3i (99' 9-3 Viggen / 96' 900)

Yep, this just happened to my viggen starting yesterday. Got in after a little drive and bam... speedo worked but abs and brake light turned on.

Thought it was bad gas (as I have seen some problems with this batch of gas so far this week .... ) so I put it some gas treatment and started it up , no problems. Drove it to work with no problems right until I pulled into my spot and it turned on again. Could gas be an issue???

Going to try and clean terminals maybe on my break. What should I use ... I dont have a lot of choices here but if someone can give me some ideas to try while I am out there.

My standard ODB2 reader will not read it back with a error code but I am sure it is not designed for that.
Old 18th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 9000 2.3T Imola Red

same thing happened to mine about a month ago now. ABS still works though, that's the funny thing. speedo too.
'91 9000 2.3 Turbo Imola Red
Old 18th June 2009
Saab Crazy

Yea.... so your lights are on AND abs still works. Ok... I feel safer now. I was just thinking .... ("Driving down highway at 80 and abs lock up my brakes... while I fly out the window..... )
Old 18th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Unless you have an electrical issue, I do not think the abs lights being on means that abs is still working. TCS is different though, if that light is on, ABS still works.
Old 18th June 2009

Join Date: May 2004                                                

My '04 9-5 had a sensor failure that shut down the abs (esp) system on random occasions. It turned out to be a pressure sensor on the ABS block under the hood. My indy mech said he'd never seen that one before. A new sensor seems to have cured the issue and yes there was a tech2 readable code that pointed to the pressure sensor. The speedo never showed any problem.
Old 18th June 2009
Saab Crazy

Well... Got out of work and no problems.... Drove 10 miles and abs light and brake light AND speedo do go. Then it came back 5 minutes later. Just all happened all of a sudden. Can gas be a cause for this error? The car has just not been right after last fill up. Any more help can be good or links to other posts with help? My viggen is sad .... As am I
Old 19th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: '98 900SE vert - GREEN!!

I don't see any way in which gas could have caused these problems...probably just one of those unfortunate coincidences
Old 19th June 2009
Saab Lunatic

Gas has nothing to do with it. Take front wheels off, clean ring gear, pull sensors out and clean. Disconnect battery, unplug abs and clean terminals and hope for the best. If this does not fix issue, take car down to mechanic that has a tech 2 that can scan the abs. It will cost ya 30 bucks and it will tell ya if a sensor is out, or if the abs is having communication problems.
Old 19th June 2009
Saab Crazy

ok thank you guys. I will try and get that done soon... Once it is not raining out....
Old 10th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Well, been driving with the lights on.... not helping the gas mileage but I grabbed a rear wheel hub just in case it was the problem from the local dealership here. They wanted 130 bucks to do a tech 2 on it and 138 for the rear hub if that turns out to be the problem. Father and I will be doing the front wheels first and checking the sensors and cleaning them just in case. We did just do the brakes about 2-3 weeks before this started happening. That could be the problem. Just could not see spending 130 bucks for the shop to read it with the tech2.

Anyone know any SE Mass shops with tech2's that are "a bit" better than 130 bucks?
Old 10th July 2009

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1996' 900s

Thats happening to me right now. It doesn't always come on though, but usually when I turn a corner or make a U-Turn. I get the DING DONG and ABS light. The shop tells me i need a new Control Unit....anyone know where to get one that isn't $1800?
Old 10th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Right now I am currently doing a cleaning on the front teeth on both sides just to see if that will help. One of the sensors so far was very dirty and covered in dust. (damn magnets ) So working on that first before I jump into doing the rear hub.

There are a bunch of places that do rebuilds of the abs module. BBA seems to be very popular. http://www.bba-reman.com

If it comes down to my module being bad that is where mine is going.
Old 10th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

BBA is awesome! Can't believe they were going to charge one hour of work. It took my indy about 5 minutes max (27 bucks) to pull the code, write them down and tell me where to get the part.
Old 11th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Yea the service guys are not that great. and yea... 130 bucks to do it. At least the parts guys at my shop are awesome. Most parts I get at cost. So wheel hub was 137 for the oem. Better than 167 from thesaabsite ... and no shipping

Just need to find myself a local shop that will do a tech2 check for cheap. Wheel hub gets replaced tomorrow/soon anyway. Why not
Old 14th July 2009
Saab Crazy

Well, Went to a local shop that my parents have been to many times before and stopped in. They were doing a cookout but an hour later came back and did a check for free for me. Very happy for that. Put it on and since my lights were on the abs module did not communicate at all with the reader. Everything else was A-ok (did full check) just could not talk/see an abs module connected to the system. Most likely ... I think I have a bad module. BBA to the rescue So tomorrow I am going to have to remove the module and send it out to them (good thing they are only 40 miles away pretty much ... should be back quickly ) and going to return wheel hub to the shop. Sound like a good idea?
Old 19th August 2009
Saab Crazy

Well , just wanted to update.

Returned the Hub to the dealer (waived the restock... how nice of them) after testing it and seeing that was not it.

Sent out the ABS module to BBA for 112 bucks total after shipping and got it back.

Good as new Happy as a clam I am.

Now to do clutch/tranny soon. She be tough getting into gear. Anyone have any ideas where to start? Going to start searching threads soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement