Deadlocked car...keys in boot..arghh...the fix. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st January 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000T5 9-3S convert auto
Default Deadlocked car...keys in boot..arghh...the fix.

What a way to bring in New Years! A picnic, nice and warm and sunny and the wife deadlocks the car. The car keys, house keys, wallet and friends keys and all the food is deadlocked away safely in the boot .

I'm really stuck. Called the roadside guys who turn up pronto but scratch their head when I tell them its deadlocked rather than locked. None of the traditional fixes work.

So we put in a long metal tube with a hook and release the bonnet/hood. He fools around with fuses. Nothing works except the alarm siren.

I said to the guy why not try and reset/spike the ECU by disconnecting the battery and re attach in quick succession. He says well that will wipe your pre sets and maybe do some other damage. Who cares its hot and I'm hungry!

So he disconnects/reconnects the battery. At the same time I'm using the aforesaid long metal tube wedged in between the side window glass and pushing the in boot release switch in the drivers door in quick succession until bingo! the boot springs open.

Battery is reconnected. Had a glorious day but the car runs like a hairy goat and wont idle. I'll take it for a freeway run later to see if the ECU re learns stuff.

I'm optimistic it will be OK. Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st January 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Losing the keys....misplacing the keys...the bane of mankind....as if I am innocent.....
A spare key hidden someplace ? The hidden magnetic key-box was a good way of permanently losing the spare key..

And keys are becoming obsolete anyway.....replaced by a microchip embedded under the skin, powered by body heat..

In the earlier days this was a minor problem; the AAA man had little trouble opening the '85 ; the '60 was even easier; I never locked the '73....
Now man seems to live in fear...we have turned in the wrong direction.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 2nd January 2009
SaabNut!

Yep its impossible to unlock and deadlocked car with break in tools. So from now on I'll only deadlock it in risky areas.

A brief highway run and the car is going beautifully once more.

Cheers M.
Old 3rd January 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: .

When my car is deadlocked, as the deadlock is suppose to work, no other keyhole on the car will work, only the drivers door, but on mine if I deadlock the doors while inside (windows open) and press the power door lock button from the inside of the car to unlock the doors, they will open, even though they are suppose to be deadlocked from the outside.

So you could have used a long coat hanger or similar to reach to the centre console to press the unlock button.

I also discovered this when I left the dog inside the deadlocked car, and came back to find all the doors unlocked; the dog stepped on the power windows/lock button pack and must have pressed the unlock button. This has happened on more than one occasion. Now I have to rip off the rear part of the centre console cupholder cover thing and use it to cover the power door lock button when I leave the dog in the car.
Old 3rd January 2009

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

In a matter of seconds you can access the boot by going through the rear lamp cluster that houses the lock barrel. You then simply pull the central locking release rod. Of course you need a new cluster.

Common access point for thieves this one so be warned and leave nothing of value in your car.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 3rd January 2009
SaabNut!

Diosnoche I dont have an unlock button on my convert, I see where it goes...maybe its a USA thing. The dog does however tend to dislodge those hairy moustache things beside the handbrake lever.

ragtopcav thanks for the advice. I never knew about that. Never been broken into or had anything stolen from a car in 20+ years. Except some theives broke into a bunch of cars where I live. Slashed 3 higher end convert roofs, busted some windows...it was the only time I forgot to put the roof of the car up. Probably saved me from an expensive repair.

Cheers M.
Old 28th April 2011

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1996 Saab 900 SE 2.0l

I did the same thing a few months ago..

Best way is to 1 wedge the drivers door open, basically bend the door so that there is a smallish gap.

get a wire and press the boot release button. Hey Presto.
Open boot, get key, bend door frame back and then go to the nearest key cutter, cut a spare flat key and keep in your wallet!

Good Luck!
Old 28th April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky View Post
I'm optimistic it will be OK. Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers M.

While junkyarding up near Baltimore MD, Myself and PaulH go taking off to get started. Delorean who was driving put the 9-5s keys in his jacket pocket and tossed it into the trunk since it was warm.

Luckily there was another 9-5 we could get the little rear window out of and all we had to do was smash it out on the locked car, and crawl into the trunk.
Old 28th April 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: T5 Suited Stg T28++ 9-3

Wouldn't anyone with a key of the same model car be able to open the door? I know the alarm will go off, but the key's look identical to me. I once was overwhelmed with curiosity and placed my key in the door of a Saab adjacent to mine. I didn't turn the key but it felt like it might've. Maybe get someone with a Saab if that is the case.
_Cm
Old 29th April 2011
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

No, I had to swap all the locks from one of my cars to another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement