What is the worst winter car? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG
Default What is the worst winter car?

I just got back from New York to take car of the rest of the apartment stuff (moving in two weeks!) and my rental car was a Chevy Cobalt sport coupe with 17" wheels, like the one shown below.

This is the worst car I have ever driven on the snow/ice. It could have just been the tires (17" Pirelli P6's) but it would under steer like crazy. I just couldn't get over how bad this car was in the snow. It wouldn't even move with the traction control on. It made the drive from NYC to Newburgh rather scary, I needed my Saab.

I just can't think of a worse car I have seen in the snow. I'm pretty sure my friends 1972 SS Chevelle is better on the snow than the Cobalt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 2002 BMW 540i/6MT

Did it have snow tires?
Old 24th December 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

17 inch Pirelli P6 there is your answer

Put 14 inch wheels with 175/75 tires or even 15 inch wheels with 185/65, snow tires, boom that thing will go anywhere... 17 inch wheels, wide tires, summer tires and a small light car it will just do nothing
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG

I guess the real answer is don't get a rental car from Budget at LaGuardia. It also had just straight water in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, which of course froze.
Old 24th December 2008

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Worst winter car will be the one with pretend high performance summer tyres fitted. When it comes to tyres it really is horse for course.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 2002 BMW 540i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
17 inch Pirelli P6 there is your answer

I don't speak tire.
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1987 Saab 900 Turbo 3dr

My 1984 Subaru Standard base model front wheel drive hatchback was the worst car I have ever tried to drive in the snow. I say tried to drive, because it really didn't work. This thing would get stuck in the rain. Seriously.
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Any motor vehicle with one wheel drive and an oversized engine powering the lightly loaded rear wheels..

I think that any front driver( with one wheel drive) running on 4 doughnut spares would be better...
173K miles in the good ole USA

Last edited by earthworm; 25th December 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³ Vert Design Package

Like driving an aluminum flying saucer down a steep mountain. Actually the flying saucer has more control. I had this for 2 years before my Dodge Neon.

Old 24th December 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF.
Did it have snow tires?
I've never seen a rental with snow tires, even when I rented cars in Canada.

By the true rental car standard, it likely had partly bald all-seasons

I miss all my Saabs
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Past: 2001 9-3

Like one of the other posters pointed out...

A vintage rear wheel drive car that doesn't have positrac and has wide ***** tires.
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 convertible

My 1974 AMX was quite the handful in the snow. I recall trying to get to a gas station about 5 blocks from home back in November of 1976. Went sideways most of the way. I slid my way home, parked in the garage, and bought a Jeep Wagoneer the next day. The AMX hasn't seen snow since. My Saab is GREAT in the snow.
Old 24th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1986 9000 Turbo, 2004 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm
I thing that any front driver( with one wheel drive) running on 4 doughnut spares would be better...
sorry, I dont understand wtf you just said
Old 24th December 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

There are a number of factors that determine of a car is good in the snow.

Drive wheels:
Generally RWD is the worst. Most people falsely assume that AWD is the best. AWD would be the best if you could add AWD without the weight penalty, but the added weight that comes along with AWD leads to longer stopping distances. Since some car makers try to offset the added weight of AWD by usiong lighter weight materials in AWD models, lets define it as this: All else being equal AWD is better than FWD in the snow. AWD also has some risks in the snow: It masks the road conditions from the driver. If you don't slip at all when starting (like with AWD) you can be led to believe the roads arent that slippery, and be in for a HUGE surprise when its time to turn or stop.

Weight
I have often heard from people that heavy vehicles are better in the snow because they cut through the snow better. Nothing could be more wrong. Weight and the resulting inertia is a huge penalty in winter driving, as you get much longer stopping distances, more intertia to run (to prevent under steering) and more intertia when trying to get started from a standstill.

A good winter car is as light as possible, with one caveat. In order to cut through the snow it should have as narrow tires as possible. This is what the "weight is good crowd" are mistaking for a weight benefit. Instead of more weight what you want is a greater weight to surface area ratio, without raising the overall weight of the vehicle.

Tires
In addition to the above (making your winter tires narrower than your summer ones) it also pays to have a good set of winter tires. All seasons simply won't do. In the past studded was always the way to go, but that is no longer the case with the latest generation of non-studded snow tires. Studded are better in some situations (usually shiny ice) and non-studded are better at others (slush and snow mixes). Choose a set depending on what you are most likely to see on roads around you.

Other
There are other factors too (like wight balance) that make a car more or less maneuverable in the snow. A car with a very slight under steer is to be preferred in the snow, as fishtailing all the time gets tiresome.

Summary
To sum it all up the best winter car will be lightweight with narrow winter tires, well balanced with slight understeer and FWD (or AWD if there is no weight penalty).

The worst winter car will be the opposite. Heavy, wide tires, poorly balanced and RWD. (RWD pickup truck with performance tires maybe? All the weight is in the front of these...)

Based on this I think a F150 Lightening is a prime contender for the absolutely worst winter vehicle (among reasonably modern cars) of them all

I miss all my Saabs

Last edited by Mattlach; 24th December 2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 25th December 2008
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

I used to have one of these with a 4-speed manual. Not a very good choice in Michigan winters. Five-point-ooooooooooohhhh sh%$

Old 25th December 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si|ver Bu||et
sorry, I dont understand wtf you just said
A front driver is better in the snow and ice than an overpowered rear driver; even if the FWD has four baldies or 4 spares on...
But the Posi-traction will make all the difference. But, now, finally for the FWD there is the Quaffe....
And "I think, NOT I thing"...
This is an error that spell check misses.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 25th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: '13 Focus ST

Old mercedes saloons ('80s 300 SD, etc) are heavy, RWD, and oversteer-biased. With all-season tires, they are no picnic in the white stuff...
Old 25th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: na

FIAT 500 Jolly.......
Old 25th December 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlach
There are a number of factors that determine of a car is good in the snow.

Drive wheels:
Generally RWD is the worst. Most people falsely assume that AWD is the best. AWD would be the best if you could add AWD without the weight penalty, but the added weight that comes along with AWD leads to longer stopping distances. Since some car makers try to offset the added weight of AWD by usiong lighter weight materials in AWD models, lets define it as this: All else being equal AWD is better than FWD in the snow. AWD also has some risks in the snow: It masks the road conditions from the driver. If you don't slip at all when starting (like with AWD) you can be led to believe the roads arent that slippery, and be in for a HUGE surprise when its time to turn or stop.
Nah... your braking difference from that weight is at maximum 10 %... a few feet, inches even, no real difference. But AWD can be kickass when you are parked on the street in the winter. Also AWD cars tend to drive very straight and nicely down slippery roads, much more tractable than FWD or RWD. The problem is often this gives people a false sense of security and they go to the ditch It isn't even when starting but just moving down the road. But this isn't a real problem since if you aren't stupid you have only benefit.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 25th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0
Garage

I had to drive my friends C55 AMG this past Sunday when we really got a big snow storm.

This thing, is by far the worst, SCARIEST thing I have ever driven on snow. Even though it's equipped with winter tires (performance winter), this thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

I was on the left lane with a huge truck in the middle lane right next to me and he was too close to me for my comfort, so I decided to tap (and I mean the slightest of taps) the pedal and the thing almost spun out. It scared the crap out of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement