Timing belt change - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th December 2008

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 1.9d vector sport
Default Timing belt change

As a new member i've enjoyed trawling through this forum reading various discussion threads, but one area which appears to cause great debate is changing belts/chains. I have a late 04 vector sport 1.9 td with 36k on the clock and would like advice out there on what is the ideal mileage/age for replacement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

2007 cars:
-only for diesel engines
for a period interval of 8th years or 75000 miles / 120000 kms.

Last edited by jlrdrony; 16th December 2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 15th December 2008

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93

I have an '03 93 and was told it has a CHAIN that doesn't need to be replaced. Having a timing belt snap in a VW - I know of the problems that can result. Have inquired several times about the belt/chain and was informed it doesn't need to be replaced. I would be curious to find the TRUE answer myself.
Old 15th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 97 9k Aero

Q: Why does the timing chain on a Saab 9-3 ('98-'02) 2.0-litre engine need to be replaced at 60,000 miles? Most timing chains last around 200,000 miles and are replaced as needed.
Phil Pett

A: You're right - timing chains shouldn't need changing at 60,000 miles. They generally last longer than timing belts.

However, some Saab 2.0-litre petrol engines gained a reputation for developing an oil starvation problem, which could lead to the timing chain failing prematurely.

That's why Saab says the chains need to be changed at 60,000 miles.

That's also why we mention this in our online used car review of the Saab 9-3 - we want to make buyers aware that this could be an issue, so that they can make sure it has been changed before they buy.

Now note from the previous years and not ours. It seems to be a mix but unless its making noisy complaints you should be good .
Old 15th December 2008

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 93

Thanks Interceptor- does a snapping of the timing chain result in the same damage as a belt or does it just lose power. Its not the belts that cost you, but the damage to the engine. The belts are expensive, but worth the replacement.
Old 15th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Oh you could mess some things up nasty if the chain fails (2 actually), but it won't be the end of your motor. On my porsche 944 I have the timing belt and if that goes the whole engine is gone. Its not like that so......I don't believe there have been any reports of sludging on our engines and the chain should last the life of the car. 60k is for our accessory belt in case that was heard instead.
Old 15th December 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Volvo V70 2.5T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
However, some Saab 2.0-litre petrol engines gained a reputation for developing an oil starvation problem, which could lead to the timing chain failing prematurely.

That's why Saab says the chains need to be changed at 60,000 miles.
Where does Saab say so?
Old 16th December 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T SC

I don't know about prior years,but I can assure you that Saab does not say that timing chains in gas engines for 2006 and later years need to be changed in either 9-3 or 9-5 at 60 K or at any other mileage. The only belt that Saab says to change at 60 K is the drive belt...usually known as serpentine belt.

Last edited by Hugh; 16th December 2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 16th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I don't know about prior years,but I can assure you that Saab does not say that timing chains in gas engines for 2006 and later years need to be changed in either 9-3 or 9-5 at 60 K or at any other mileage. The only belt that Saab says to change at 60 K is the drive belt...usually known as serpentine belt.
Exactly, you should not worry unless you hear some problems from that area itself. It was for the prior years before our generation of 9-3s.
Old 16th December 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Agreeing with Interceptor about 60K being the Serpentine Belt, but disagreeing about the sludging... and chains have failed. It was first mentioned to me by my Service Mgr. and there is a TSB on it on the NHTSA site, I posted it in another thread earlier in the week. Saab has replaced a few motors, even OOW.
Old 16th December 2008

My Saabs: 03' Saab 9-3 Linear/Sports Pkg

Jon > TSB?

very interested in this as im at 186 KM
Old 16th December 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Make : SAAB Model : 9-3 Year : 2003
Manufacturer : SAAB CARS USA, INC.
Service Bulletin Number : 2102554 Date of Bulletin : OCT 01, 2006
NHTSA Item Number : 10020715
Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary :
NOISE FROM THE TIMING CHAIN AND OIL SLUDGE IN THE ENGINE. *KB

you can get the full bulletin from the NHTSA, AllData or maybe Saab Canada...

But understand, this is a US TSB, there not required to do anything if nothings wrong...like the gas cap CSC...if it aint broke they don't fix it.
Old 16th December 2008

My Saabs: 03' Saab 9-3 Linear/Sports Pkg

cheers fella
Old 28th August 2013

Join Date: Feb 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SS & 2010 9-5 Aero
Default Timing Chain 2006 9-3 Aero 2.8T

ok so I have a 2006 9-3 Aero with the 2.8T V6 which I am selling. I have a potential buyer who is hesitant because I have 110k mi on it and have never changed the timing chain. I've never done this on a car before (although this is the first car I've kept this long). My parents keep their cars forever (88 Toyota, 99 Oldsmobile) and they've never changed them on their cars although they both have around 140-160k miles. My dad said he hasn't done that on a car since the 70s. I know of ONE person who's belt failed and it was on her 2000 Oldsmobile that had 180k. If I end up not selling the car and just keeping it as my daily driver should I consider changing it?
Old 28th August 2013
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSaabSnaab View Post
ok so I have a 2006 9-3 Aero with the 2.8T V6 which I am selling. I have a potential buyer who is hesitant because I have 110k mi on it and have never changed the timing chain. I've never done this on a car before (although this is the first car I've kept this long). My parents keep their cars forever (88 Toyota, 99 Oldsmobile) and they've never changed them on their cars although they both have around 140-160k miles. My dad said he hasn't done that on a car since the 70s. I know of ONE person who's belt failed and it was on her 2000 Oldsmobile that had 180k. If I end up not selling the car and just keeping it as my daily driver should I consider changing it?
The timing chain is not a wear and tear item. Unless it is exhibiting signs of stretching you shouldn't go messing with it. The buyer is being unreasonable. Why not ask to replace the pistons too? Hell any part. Very odd request. Now if he is asking about the serpentine belt, that's completely reasonable and should have been done already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement