Rear brakes going away...FAST - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 99 Viggen
Default Rear brakes going away...FAST

ive been meaning to pose this question for my dad, but have been busy.

car is an 07 9-3 aero

One day he called me and said his rear brakes were making horrible noises, but the pad looked like it was very low, although useable (he could only see the outside obviously). This was in the middle of the week, he commutes 120 miles a day, and can't work on the car until weekends, so when he got in their on saturday he noticed that the inner pad was toasted down to the metal.

Mind you, this car has just turned about 20ish thousand miles i believe, we have had it since something in the 5-10k range...so WTF 15k on brake pads?

so he ordered some factory pads and was luckily able to get the wonderful autozone tool to reset the caliper. i went home last weekend and was helping him put on his winter tires, he lookes at the pads and said they look to already be 1/4 (atleast) gone. this has been 1-2k miles since the change.

what in the world could be going on? neither of us have seen pads go away this fast, especially rears...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th December 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T

MANY MANY threads on this subject.

First off, factory pads SUCK!

If you ask me, there must be a major difference in the proportioning valves in our cars versus other ones I've owned. I think they put more bias to the rear than they really should have. I just put a set of ceramic Raybestos on and they seem nice so far. I didn't check them out of the box, but I guess we'll see how long they last.
Old 6th December 2008

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 05 9-3 Arc, 95 Sebring 3.0T

rears are organic
fronts are ceramic

im on my second set of rear pads atm (30k miles)
Old 6th December 2008
Banned

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1990 c900 coupe, 2005 9-3

25K on my '05 Linear with new fronts and rears (a few months ago now)

Worst pads I've ever seen. My $10K Hyundai I bought new in 2004 had pads lasting twice as long as these POS's.
Old 6th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 99 Viggen

so is it truly just the pads being a victim of an oddly biased braking system? if so ill get my dad different pads for xmas
Old 6th December 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc

I was wondering the exact same thing! I thought I picked up a car that had brake issues after selling my last car (a Bonneville) that had chronic brake issues.

Thank god I wasn't going crazy. My rear pads were shot at 47,000 miles. I don't know if they were the originals or not. I'm the second owner of the Saab.

I also agree with Woody that there's a different bias since the car never nose-dive under braking.
Old 7th December 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRD2BDF
I also agree with Woody that there's a different bias since the car never nose-dive under braking.
My thoughts EXACTLY! The car doesn't dive like other cars leaving me to believe that the bias is almost 50/50 instead of 70/30 or 65/35.

The ceramics I got from Parts America online (with a secret coupon) were $61 shipped.
Old 7th December 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

I think that the distribution of braking has changed.
electronics demand in ms, such as palpitations of the heart, the distribution of braking at each wheel, through the system abs&eps.
- in the system of eps, without stepping on the brake, indicates that the loops must give each wheel. slowing the wheels in the inner curve.
efforts in cornering at high speed is what makes the interior of the brake pads are spent sooner.
if used-car lot in town wear the pads back is normal, since there is a division of slowed to 50% on four wheels.

My pads brakes are ok at 26000kms. I don't uses too much brakes.

Our engines are so smart that if you combined with your the mind of not accelerating before braking is slowing alone.

therefore, the brake pads should last more or less, depending on the way of drive.

for what reason I want to run, if I have to wait at the traffic light?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement