Finished HG now crazy squealing sound - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20th November 2008
wrightbenz wrightbenz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: Silver 97 Aero Black 97 Aero 98 M3 SC400
Posts: 237
Default Finished HG now crazy squealing sound

Well like the title says, just replaced my HG and oil pump seal on my 92 vert. I don't have the belts back on the car and when I start it it sqeals and the idle is erratic. What did I do.
I already primed the oil pump as per bently and I pulle the valve cover off and oil is making it there. It seems like the sound is coming from the valve train but it's hard to tell. Any advice please???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 21st November 2008
TooMany2cvs's Avatar
TooMany2cvs TooMany2cvs is offline
Saabista
 
Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
Location: NW of London
My Saabs: '90 900T16 3dr - For Sale!
Posts: 10,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Well like the title says, just replaced my HG and oil pump seal on my 92 vert. I don't have the belts back on the car and when I start it it sqeals and the idle is erratic. What did I do.
I already primed the oil pump as per bently and I pulle the valve cover off and oil is making it there. It seems like the sound is coming from the valve train but it's hard to tell. Any advice please???
PUT THE BELTS ON. At the moment, you've got no water pump.

Take the cam cover off, and make sure nothing's rubbing or fouling, but you may well need to let it run for a while to get the hydraulic tappets fully pumped up.
__________________
Adrian
Soon to be living life on the road in an old VW
http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 22nd November 2008
16saabs 16saabs is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
Location: fakenham
My Saabs: 2x LPT convertible's, 1 x 900 SE
Posts: 5,733
Default

have you retentioned the chain pressure guide,(side of head) or did you just put it back in without releasing ratchet system, so chain is to tight, as the guide would have adjusted over time to old one, and even if same chain I would always release pressure before putting back in.
alternatively the pressur guide could be u/s and so the chain is catching the inside of cover, but you would see lots of shinny aluminium particles on top of valves etc, and a nice clean groove in the cover
__________________
22saabs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 22nd November 2008
wrightbenz wrightbenz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: Silver 97 Aero Black 97 Aero 98 M3 SC400
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16saabs
have you retentioned the chain pressure guide,(side of head) or did you just put it back in without releasing ratchet system, so chain is to tight, as the guide would have adjusted over time to old one, and even if same chain I would always release pressure before putting back in.
alternatively the pressur guide could be u/s and so the chain is catching the inside of cover, but you would see lots of shinny aluminium particles on top of valves etc, and a nice clean groove in the cover
I released the rachet on the tensioner. This is the one that you take out of the side of the block correct? And then when you screw the bolt back in it pushes the racheting mechanism back out.
Still scratching my head here, this is very odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 23rd November 2008
ejenner's Avatar
ejenner ejenner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Location: www.saabsforum.com
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert
Posts: 7,270
Default

It's a leak from the intake manifold. Take off the manifold and reattach it making sure to get the seal totally spot-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 23rd November 2008
wrightbenz wrightbenz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: Silver 97 Aero Black 97 Aero 98 M3 SC400
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejenner
It's a leak from the intake manifold. Take off the manifold and reattach it making sure to get the seal totally spot-on.
I was thinking the the same thing since it sounds like a whistling sound, and when I installed the intake I forgot about the support bar under the intake and it was holding it up. Maybe I damaged the gasket or something, I will have a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 23rd November 2008
ejenner's Avatar
ejenner ejenner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Location: www.saabsforum.com
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert
Posts: 7,270
Default

It's difficult to hold the gasket in place while you attach the manifold. I made the mistake of leaving the manifold connected to the ancilary parts so it was difficult to hold it in the right position and the gasket slipped as I was doing up the bolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 24th November 2008
wrightbenz wrightbenz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
Location: Chicago
My Saabs: Silver 97 Aero Black 97 Aero 98 M3 SC400
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejenner
It's difficult to hold the gasket in place while you attach the manifold. I made the mistake of leaving the manifold connected to the ancilary parts so it was difficult to hold it in the right position and the gasket slipped as I was doing up the bolts.

you called it! The whistling is now gone and I can finish putting the eblts and stuff back on now. I had left some old gasket material on the intake which was causing the poor seal. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 24th November 2008
ejenner's Avatar
ejenner ejenner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
Location: www.saabsforum.com
My Saabs: 900 Carlsson, 99t, 99 T16, 900 t16 vert
Posts: 7,270
Default

Pleased to help!

Hope the rest of it goes ok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.