evap system leak - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th November 2008
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
Default evap system leak

I have a 97 saab 900 se turbo. Can a leaky pcv valve cause a evap system leak code in the check engine light arena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th November 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 T7 5-Speed 5-Door

PCV has nothing to do with evaporative loss control. PCV is designed to pull combustion gases that blow by the rings out of the crankcase and back around to the intake. Evaporative loss control is designed to burn evaporated gasoline from the tank rather than letting it vent to the atmosphere, save you money and help the poor environment.

Anyway, you either have a stuck open evap purge valve or a nice hole or crack in a hose somewhere. Time for a visual inspection.
Old 11th November 2008
Banned

Can i try cleaning my evap purge valve with wd40? I also found a big crack in the hose from the throttle body to the IACV. thanx
Old 11th November 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotim
Can i try cleaning my evap purge valve with wd40? I also found a big crack in the hose from the throttle body to the IACV. thanx
I don't know, this depends on its construction, a man has to be careful using effective chemicals....
There are on the market specific cleaners(CRC for one) for plastic parts ..
I doubt if this WD40 will do more than displace some moisture or water..

What I find to be amazing is the the number of cracks and holes in the vacuum hoses... not good quality, but are ever so inexpensive to repair..
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 11th November 2008
Saab Lunatic

What's your specific CEL code? Definitely fix that hose.

The evap purge valve can be cleaned with almost any solvent - gumout works. The thing is designed to take gasoline fumes, it can definitely handle most harsh solvents.
Old 12th November 2008
Banned

I just bought this car, and on my vacum line inspection i found that the hose running from the purge valve diafram, to the throttle body, looks like it's been cut in half, and has a small circle clamp holding it together. I took it off and theres a small circuler tube inside, almost looks like some one found a crack in the hose and cut it and stuck that tube in there so the clamp would have some thing to sqeese to! Is this normal??? The code reads evap larg leak detected) Possible causes: badfuelcap... evap canister broke or not connected: purge or vent soliniod defective: or vacuum leak at engine>>>>> I've changed the gas cap and fixed that hose from the iacv to the throttle body..... By the way i bought this car cause i really wanted a turbo car , but didnt have enough money for most turbo cars > but i found this one and man did i score no oil leaks no burning oil just a great running car with a lot of power I realize it is special. thanks for youre help. Man this car is fast !
Old 12th November 2008

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 95 900 s

mine had the same connector, it must be stock. my prurge valve was sticking, i couldn't clean it. its stuck closed now. i just unplugged it and a used one is coming.

kahuna in kanada
Old 19th November 2008
Banned

Okay, i took the purge valve off and could blow threw it. Then i put 12 volts to it, and heard it click, but i could still blow threw it. So i geuss that means i had a leaky purge valve.( Hence major evap leak code.) I found a 2.3 in the junk yard and i bought the purge valve (10 bucks) and my check light hasnt come back on yet, but i only drove it (just today) will see tomorrow, but i think its fixed and the car seems better on gas. What do you guys think do you think i fixed it? I learned how to check it with the 12 volts and blowing threw it from one of you guys thankyou and bless this forum. Looks like with enough will power and love for the ride you can fix youre car. thanx for the help. sighned turbot.......
Old 19th November 2008

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 95 900 s

good work sounds like you fixed it. i have a new purge valve on its way. i just unplugged mine, i get the CEL but no stalling.

kahuna
Old 19th November 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotim
Okay, i took the purge valve off and could blow threw it. Then i put 12 volts to it, and heard it click, but i could still blow threw it. So i geuss that means i had a leaky purge valve.( Hence major evap leak code.) I found a 2.3 in the junk yard and i bought the purge valve (10 bucks) and my check light hasnt come back on yet, but i only drove it (just today) will see tomorrow, but i think its fixed and the car seems better on gas. What do you guys think do you think i fixed it? I learned how to check it with the 12 volts and blowing threw it from one of you guys thankyou and bless this forum. Looks like with enough will power and love for the ride you can fix youre car. thanx for the help. sighned turbot.......
Sounds like you definitely fixed it. Well done
Old 25th November 2008
Banned

I put the valve on from the junk yard and the light still came back on. So i asked someone i know, and he said it could come on for more than just one reason in the system. So i took the junkyard purge valve off, and tested it with the twelve volts, and it shuts all the way, and seals unlike my old one, so i was lost, and still didn't give up ,,and took off my front wheel and the hose that goes from the puge valve to the canister was cracked in half so i fixed it and the check light has stayed off.... problem fixed
Old 26th November 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 Aero SC,'04 9-5 Aero, '99 9-3RIP

The CEL was probably telling you that you have a vacuum leak, and fixing the hose resolved the issue. When my EVAP purge valve stuck open I did not get a CEL just stalling issues.
SAABCentral NEW ENGLAND CREW Member #118
Old 26th November 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot8602
The CEL was probably telling you that you have a vacuum leak, and fixing the hose resolved the issue. When my EVAP purge valve stuck open I did not get a CEL just stalling issues.
The OBD2 trionic can tell the difference between an EVAP system leak and a regular vacuum leak (lean condition). There's a pressure sensor in the tank, the tank should hold a vacuum when the EVAP purge valve opens during a tank integrity test. It's all part of the Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system.
Old 3rd July 2009

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5, 4 cylnder

So the purge valve is not required to run the car?
Old 3rd July 2009

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5, 4 cylnder

So if the purge valve is working propperly you should be able to blow right through it, correct? Does the valve come apart or should I just shot the carb cleaner down through one of the hose nips? Also, I can't get the electrical attachment off the valve...is there a trick there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement