Heater Box Problems - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th October 2008

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
Default Heater Box Problems

So I went to pick up my new '99 9-3 this morning only to find out that the car has a problem with the heat controls. It's something about the manual control knobs not turning corectly and the cable being bad. He said if he can clean them up and lube them they may wok fine, otherwise it's like $1,000 to fix w/ a new heater box.

Anyone have this problem with their 9-3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th October 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

I'm not sure is any cables are used, at least on a 900ng..
This
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112607
is a good read on this subject..
http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab%2090...placement.html
with pics and more info.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 10th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm
I'm not sure is any cables are used, at least on a 900ng..

Details, we need details..
The front knobs on the heat/ac controll unit were busted so he bought a used one from a local parts dealer. It came in without the cable so he had to use the old (I'm guessing orig. cable). He said he will get a new cable which will fix the poblem with the heat/ac control however the diectiopn controlls aren't moving well. He said he can drill a hole and spray brake cleaner in it to clean out the gunked up lube which is causing the poblem (he thinks). Then re-spray it with a thin lubricant. If that works then we are good. If it doesn't he said it will need a new heater box.
Old 10th October 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: '95 900SE 2.5L V6 'VERT "resurrected"

The diverter (def/floor/mix/etc) is cable actuated on the 9-3, and I find it a little hard to believe that the cable is seized. Most likely when the panel was pulled out, the cable got pinched when reinstalled.

Now, the heat/cold knob..... That is a whole 'nuther story. There is a barrel assembly that has a habit of warping and shearing off the "toilet paper roll" that the knob is connected to.
Old 10th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in Lockport, N.Y.
The diverter (def/floor/mix/etc) is cable actuated on the 9-3, and I find it a little hard to believe that the cable is seized. Most likely when the panel was pulled out, the cable got pinched when reinstalled.

Now, the heat/cold knob..... That is a whole 'nuther story. There is a barrel assembly that has a habit of warping and shearing off the "toilet paper roll" that the knob is connected to.
So it looks like this is a pretty common problem. No recalls from Saab??? If it's not the toilet paper thing and is indeed the heater box causing the problem, is there a proven fix without replacing the heater box?
Old 10th October 2008
Saab Sage!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92064

Post 10, courtesy of WindexCheese.
I was wrong about the "no- cable".. ..
If this does not work, then the alternative is a new or different heater box; but $1,000 or 7 to 8 hours labor ???
DIY
Maybe Saab should have a recall; this may break the company, or be the last straw....
Old 10th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92064

Post 10, courtesy of WindexCheese.
I was wrong about the "no- cable".. ..
If this does not work, then the alternative is a new or different heater box; but $1,000 or 7 to 8 hours labor ???
DIY
Maybe Saab should have a recall; this may break the company, or be the last straw....
Thanks but the above link is useless. At the end of all the posts it says not to use that method with the screw. They are still working on it and hopefully get it to work with the quick fixes they are trying. Otherwise I will pass on it and keep looking.
Old 10th October 2008

So I didn't buy the car today . It needs a new heater box. Anyone know how much that costs new? Anyone have one used for sale?
Old 10th October 2008
Saab Sage!

I too, read post 19 and another one. But, there is more to this..

$2,500 gives me the right to experiment..
Or even $850 (quoted heater box price).. ..how many of these has Saab, or any one ever sold.. ??
The yards are full of them, I'd think..
Experimenters can succeed; those afraid of trying are completely doomed to failure.
Old 13th October 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 T7 5-Speed 5-Door

Quote:

Just to clarify, this is exactly opposite: the diverter knob connects to the toilet paper roll while the temperature knob connects to a cable which goes to the blend door.
Old 13th October 2008

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: "Susan"-98 900S 2.3 w/ 175k and counting

Darren is right....the cable controls hot/cold adjustment. I just spent over two hours with no luck trying to free up the temp adjuster. The cable was binding slightly due to being zip-tied to a bundle of cables, but freeing it didn't help. I did replace the steel cable housing and put copious amounts of grease to help relieve friction.....all to no avail. The heater box is the problem, and i have to temporarily rig it to survive the brutal winters here in MI.
Old 13th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabsterMI
Darren is right....the cable controls hot/cold adjustment. I just spent over two hours with no luck trying to free up the temp adjuster. The cable was binding slightly due to being zip-tied to a bundle of cables, but freeing it didn't help. I did replace the steel cable housing and put copious amounts of grease to help relieve friction.....all to no avail. The heater box is the problem, and i have to temporarily rig it to survive the brutal winters here in MI.
The problem with the car I am looking at is that the heater box is binding so bad that all I can get is hot/cold blowing straight at us. It wouln't move to the defroster setting which worries me with the bad weather coming soon. He lowered the price on the car for me and included a new heater box but I must install it....
Old 13th October 2008

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: "Susan"-98 900S 2.3 w/ 175k and counting

Did you pull the panel off of the right side of the center console? You can access the 'tp roller' there. For my case the vent adjuster broke, and i had to reach through the side to adjust for defrost/floor output. It's unfortunate that i had to, but i've read about the heater box replacement.....and with three crazy kids and work i just don't have the time (or the $700+) to do it. I feel your pain.......
Old 13th October 2008

I have 2 crazy kids so I know you understand. It's not an easy decision to make but I have to. I'm going to look at one other 9-5 today then I will decide....
Old 13th October 2008
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren900
Just to clarify, this is exactly opposite: the diverter knob connects to the toilet paper roll while the temperature knob connects to a cable which goes to the blend door.
When I downgraded from my 99 9-3 with manual controls, and bought the 95 900 with ACC, my brain must have forgot that most important piece of information... Now don't I feel silly ?
Old 13th October 2008

Well here it is... I decided on the 99 9-3 with the heater box problem. I have a new heater box and cable coming Wednesday and I get to install it!!! Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this? Does the dashboad need to come out or just the center console and side panels???
Old 13th October 2008
Saab Crazy

Using this thread, I believe you may be able to "pull" part of the box out and free up the movement without changing the whole box out (or using the screw) ... If it works, you would be out pretty much NO money!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...71&page=1&pp=20

Read the whole article (2 pages), and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 14th October 2008

Quote:
Using this thread, I believe you may be able to "pull" part of the box out and free up the movement without changing the whole box out (or using the screw) ... If it works, you would be out pretty much NO money!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...71&page=1&pp=20

Read the whole article (2 pages), and you'll see what I'm talking about.
This thread is more confusing than good. I am still searching for a step by step tutorial. If I find one I will post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement