Strange worrying security problem..... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th September 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SS 2.0t Vector
Default Strange worrying security problem.....

Hello All

I have a 2008 9-3SS here in the UK.

Recently I have had my car broken into. I say broken into but there has been no damage to the car, no broken windows and no alarm sounding.

Somebody has got into the car (on more than one occasion) without setting off the alarm. I know the alarm works as I have tested it.

They are not using the key. As you are all aware, if the car is armed and you unlock the door with the key, the alarm will sound, and also notify you on the dashboard when you next start the car.

On the last occasion, they got into my car in the middle of the night and had a cigarette in there, took my portable sat nav unit and other personal belongings. They also opened the boot which is I believe is deadlocked when the car is armed as they boot was wide open when I saw it the next morning. I am 100% certain that the car is armed when I leave it. Nobody else has access to the keys.

I still have the two original keys that came with the car. I bought the car when it was 6 months old.

My question is how on earth have they got into the car without setting off the alarm and de-activating all the deadlocks?

I am very concerned that somebody out there may have a transmitter that allows them to get into the car.......... The worry is whether they can get into other SAABs.........

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th September 2008

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: '04 9 Aero

Is it possible that somehow there is a 3rd key somewhere? Go to your dealer and have him check how many keys are programmed for your car. I think they can do that with Tech 2.
Also, you can reprogramm all your keys.
Old 29th September 2008

My Saabs: 2008 9-3SS 1.9TiD Vector Sport

Spooky if it's anything to do with this http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=137796

Only posted that this morning.

Car no. 47210
Old 29th September 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

You can find out how many keys are programmed by doing this, Put the Key in ignition and turn it to on, push the trunk open button on that remote and hold it in. The SID will tell you how many keys are programmed. The Directions are in the Manual if that does not work....(fading memory) but I think thats it.

Even if someone were getting in through the trunk as rich's post suggested, the motion sensors would trigger the alarm.

Last edited by JonV; 29th September 2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 29th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV
Even if someone were getting in through the trunk as rich's post suggested, the motion sensors would trigger the alarm.
I've just checked my handbook again. The movement and tilt sensors are deactivated if the boot is unlocked this way. Curiouser and curiouser...

Car no. 47210
Old 29th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 1.8i >2003<

here in Greece Italy and South France there is a big trick going on the last 2 years.

Car thiefs use a big metallic plate that goes under the car and deactivates only the door locks and motion sensors.
This system is so sophisticated that it can turn on the engine even on better secured cars from ours like a Mercedes SLR or a Porsche GT.

it uses pre-programmed software for certain vehicles to send electromagnetic pulses on certain locations of the car so no alarm/immobilizer can be triggered...

i know this is bad news for all of us.......i personally dont have an alarm on my car.....if someone wants to steal your car for good there is always a way to do so....and no alarm nor any other security device can save you from this to happen.

only thing that can be done is to get a gps transmitter hidden inside the car.....in case you find your car missing at least you know where it has been moved.
Old 29th September 2008
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
I've just checked my handbook again. The movement and tilt sensors are deactivated if the boot is unlocked this way. Curiouser and curiouser...
Yes, I stand corrected the motion sensor is deactivated when you use a remote to open the trunk. But if the trunk is closed but "unlocked" then opened with the alarm armed, it will sound.
Old 29th September 2008

Nope. Just tried it. Unlocked the boot, opened it, closed it, waited 5 minutes, opened it again, dropped the seats down, waved my arms about, nothing.

Car no. 47210
Old 29th September 2008

Thanks for the replies.

I agree this is bizarre. I would love to know how they are getting in without triggering anything.

I will try and check how many keys are programmed to the car. I will then let you all know...........
Old 29th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 2.2TiD Vector. Dumped for a BMW 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV
You can find out how many keys are programmed by doing this, Put the Key in ignition and turn it to on, push the trunk open button on that remote and hold it in. The SID will tell you how many keys are programmed.
Thats cool, I didn't know that.

It does come up with how many keys programmed and if there are any Valet Keys programmed (??)

What a totally awful design to have the alarm deactivated and the boot not relock after opening

I assume it was designed by the same panel of retards who designed the Audio system.
Old 29th September 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                

Hmmmm maybe theres a way to put motion sensors under the car in strategic areas where they would put this plate, but sadly that lil chipmunk / squirrel will have a field day settin it off i'm sure.
Old 29th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBains
Thanks for the replies.

I agree this is bizarre. I would love to know how they are getting in without triggering anything.

I will try and check how many keys are programmed to the car. I will then let you all know...........
Well I suppose all that I want to know is... Did you get something out of the boot prior to your stuff getting nicked? If you did then this is how they got in. You thought your boot was locked and it wasn't.

Car no. 47210
Old 29th September 2008

I did not get anything out of the boot. Even if I did open the boot, the car doors would still be deadlocked.

They definately got into the car as some of my belongings were missing inside the car too.

Worst case scenario, even with the boot open they cannot open the doors (supposedly ) even by putting down the back seats........

Strange situation I know...........
Old 29th September 2008
Saabista

Well, I proven to myself my Alarm doesn't sound when you open the Trunk with the Alarm Armed, for some reason I thought I recalled that. But it does Lock itself again when you close it.
Old 30th September 2008
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3SS Hirsched Aero(Black)The Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
Nope. Just tried it. Unlocked the boot, opened it, closed it, waited 5 minutes, opened it again, dropped the seats down, waved my arms about, nothing.
is the alarm set to full or just on the doors only...like the 2004 models changeable through the sid

ICM3 13sp system now with bluetooth audio streaming..

Last edited by aerojon; 30th September 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 30th September 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

hmm, mine is an 04 someone must have gotten tech II changes done before I got it. I got in the car put the driver window down, got out locked the car and waited 11 sec. for the alarm to be activated. I then went back to the trunk and used the remote to open it. Once the trunk was opened, I closed it and tried to open it without the remote and it would not open. I then opened it again with the remote, left it open and went to the drivers side door and stuck my arm in. The alarm went off right away. Of course, I pulled fuse 3 under the hood so I did not have to annoy anyone with my horn (lights still flashed). That bugs me a little I've had two other cars with alarms they both had separate horns for the alarm... that way if the bad guy pulled the fuse it would still be going off shame on Saab for skimping out on something like that.
Old 1st October 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenbaugh
That bugs me a little I've had two other cars with alarms they both had separate horns for the alarm... that way if the bad guy pulled the fuse it would still be going off shame on Saab for skimping out on something like that.
This is another one of those regional variations...

The cars in the UK use both the siren and horn. I believe the horn can be added to US spec cars but it requires Tech II to activate it. There are threads on doing this...
Old 1st October 2008
Saabista

We have the Horn Alarm, not the Siren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement