How to reset "Time for Service" '08 SportCombi - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd September 2008

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T
Default How to reset "Time for Service" '08 SportCombi

The guys at Jiffy Lube forgot to reset my display after they changed my oil last week. I'm sure it's on the boards somewhere, but no searches are going through at all for some reason.

How do I reset the display that still reads "Time For Service" ?

'08 9-3 SportCombi 7500 miles

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd September 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

They didn't forget, they don't know. If your down to zero % Oil Life scroll to sysytem settings, service Info... in there you should see an option to reset.

The other options are to set the date ahead a year, it will ask you if you want to reset or take it to the Dealer for a quick Tech II Reset.

They Have Mobil 1 0W40 at Jiffy Lube?
Old 23rd September 2008

They had mobil one ow-something that was on the list in the manual. It was expensive too. The dealer is 45 miles away, so in gas $$, it was probaly a wash.

I'll try your tip later (wife's car), thanks!
Old 23rd September 2008
Saabista

If your going to go the Max between Oil Changes I would confirm that it meets the GM Spec LL A or B 025. Mobil does make a couple of 0W's which are not the "LL" = Longlife.
Old 23rd September 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero

The service is free from Saab on your new '08.

What did Jiffy Lube charge you to do a full synthetic change? $50? $75?

At $4 gallon, driving the 90 miles @ 30mpg, you're spending $12 on gas. Hardly a wash. Not to mention the fact that the dealer would absolutely put the correct oil in, log it in the system as having had its maintenance, and alert you to any TSB's. They might have even washed and vacuumed it - mine does.

It's your car, so do what you want, of course. But I'd take it to the dealer rather than Jiffy Lube. Maybe your guys are better, but I wouldn't trust the guys at my local Jiffy Lube to change the oil in my lawn mower, let alone my Saab.

Last edited by LaserRed9-3Aero; 23rd September 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 23rd September 2008
Saabista

Laser makes a point, free OC's for the first 36K on Newies. Didn't catch your year in the Sig.

Aside: I change my Oil based on Mileage and reset the SID/OLM only for the sake of resetting it when it hit's Zero. Everyone is a little different here. Some guys go the Max, some change at 3K even with fully Synth. It's sort of whatever your comfortable with.
Old 23rd September 2008

Damn! I thought we had free service. I asked my wife that, she didn't think so. Think it's worth it to get a 200 mile interval oil change?
Old 23rd September 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: a distant memory now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiredogs
Think it's worth it to get a 200 mile interval oil change?
I'm sure other will disagree but if it were me, yes, I'd get another oil change. First, if you are unsure of exactly what oil was used (as JonV mentioned, was it the GM-spec oil or something else?) then I would want to make sure the car has the correct oil in it. Second, Saab will have record of scheduled maintenance being done so if anything arises, there will be no question as to who serviced the car and when. In other words, I wouldn't leave any opportunity for Saab to deny a warranty claim (not that they are know for this but just cover your bases).

Yeah, it's a waste of oil and the technician may be a bit confused when he drains some very clean oil out of the car but to me, the piece of mind is worth the time to get it done properly.

Edit: if you do decide to have Saab change the oil again, don't reset the service indicator, let the dealer do it for you when they change the oil. In fact I don't think they will change the oil for free unless the indicator is lit.
Old 23rd September 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiredogs
Damn! I thought we had free service. I asked my wife that, she didn't think so. Think it's worth it to get a 200 mile interval oil change?
Hmmmm..... That's a good question....

If it were me, I'd probably go let the dealer re-change it. Yes, that's wasteful of time & oil. But if you let Saab do it, you'll be (ok, I would) be be a little more confident that the oil and filter are the correct GM/Saab parts, and that the oil plug was re-torqued properly.

I'm also going to guess that with 8k miles, this is your first service. If that's the case, then there's another reason to let the dealer re-do it. It would get your car in to the Saab system with proof that you're doing the oil changes when recommended. I certainly don't believe that it's mandatory that a Saab dealer *always* change your oil, but for the first few services, I think it's a good idea. It's free anyway.

Edit: Sptsdn, you beat me to the punch.
Old 18th October 2008

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD 6Speed

What makes you think the oil-change monkey at the dealer is better? I'm sure their 20 year experience journeyman mechanic isn't the one doing the oil changes. I've had more problems with the dealer's oil changes than with anyone else.

The DEALER didn't know to reset the service interval!
Old 18th October 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 2.0T SC

Duck Man;

No offence,but that is hard to believe!!!!
Did you talk to the Service Manager? If he is the one that told you that he should be fired.
Old 19th October 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS Aero XWD

Do not go to Jiffy Lube or any other fast lube joint.
You just spent lots of money on a high tech, European car--only bring it to the dealer even for oil changes. There are good indys out there but you have to find one. And one that has a Tech II for any diagnostic work.

And duck man all the dealers I've gone to for the last 10-15 years have the actual mechanics do the oil change because other services are typically done.

In the old days I think it was just a grease monkey that did the changes and maybe some half *ss dealers still do that.
Carbon Gray, Black Premium Leather, VTuned, 30% tint.
Old 20th October 2008
Saabista

My Dealer uses helpers to change Oil, Rotate etc. I have no problem with that...It's smart business too. Why tie up a Master Mechanic all day on a bunch of Oil Changes/rotations etc. that don't pay his hourly rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement