Rodents Under the Hood???? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible 2.0T
Angry Rodents Under the Hood????

Well I learned a new (and $400+) lesson. Mice like the insulation on the injector wires! My 9-3 suddenly threw a CEL and would barely run. After a visit to the dealer, and spending for repairs as above, I was told that it appeared mice had gnawed away the wiring!!!!
Anybody ever hear of this before> Any thoughts on preventing it from happening again??

Thanks guys,

Dom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th September 2008

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Turbo X manual with a few mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTop
Well I learned a new (and $400+) lesson. Mice like the insulation on the injector wires! My 9-3 suddenly threw a CEL and would barely run. After a visit to the dealer, and spending for repairs as above, I was told that it appeared mice had gnawed away the wiring!!!!
Anybody ever hear of this before> Any thoughts on preventing it from happening again??

Thanks guys,

Dom
Same thing happened to my bmx X3 last spring. Sucked! It's now never stored out of the closed garage.
Old 8th September 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3

I guess you can mount an owl in the engine compartment Mice are hard to keep way. I'm not sure anything will solve your problem. Parking it inside might help, but I've also found mice in my gargage in the past. I now park my cars inside and put out one of those poison mice traps in the garage was well.
Old 8th September 2008

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: None, 2008 Audi A4

That happened to my friend last year. On a cold day a squirrel got under his hood and chewed through some of the wires. When he got to his car and it would not start he opened the hood and the squirrel was still there.
Old 8th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 SS Linear 5MT, 99 9-3 S 3dr 5MT
Garage

took the 9-3 up to PEI where it sat for a week. When we started it back up it was blowing all kinds of debris through the vents. Turns out that a small woodland creature had made a nest out of the cabin air filter on top of the cabin fan.
Luckily it had moved out before we started the car!

Apparently trolls arent the only creature that like Saabs
Old 8th September 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '04 9 2.0T, 5MT

similar thing happened to my ranger pickup except the creature in question was a squirrel.

i guess park inside if you can and keep a couple traps set.
Old 8th September 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3SC 2.0T

Talking about critters under the hood. A friend had a reticulated python under the hood of his 9-5. When his cat started behaving strangely near the car he wondered what was wrong until he checked the car and opened the hood. On top of the engine was a python coiled neatly around the engine. Luckily he didn't start the engine or it would have mashed up the snake on the belts.
Old 8th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 4dr 5MT

I just recently discovered a rat's nest built under the hood of my car. I noticed my cone air filter was really dirty, then I saw that the mice had used the insulation mat on the underside of the hood to make a nest. Chewed a nice big hole in it. F***** rodents.
Old 9th September 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Get a Yard Cat.
Old 9th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 SC Aero '08 9-3 SS Aero AWD
Default Yuk

My wife has an '00 Accord, and one day we started to notice a "smell", assumed it was some nearby roadkill or something. The smell got worse, until we took it to the dealer. We got a report that a mouse had evidently crawled up the snorkel leading to the cabin fan (no cover on the opening in the engine compartment), and evidently Mickey stuck his head into the fan area just about the time my wife turned on the blower, decapitating the critter. Needless to say, he wasn't backing out on his own volition, and proceeded to decompose.

Yuk.

The dealer said they were fighting about who had to do the clean-out, it stunk so bad. Damn thing cost me $100.
Old 9th September 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon93
Talking about critters under the hood. A friend had a reticulated python under the hood of his 9-5. When his cat started behaving strangely near the car he wondered what was wrong until he checked the car and opened the hood. On top of the engine was a python coiled neatly around the engine. Luckily he didn't start the engine or it would have mashed up the snake on the belts.
If you weren't in the tropics, I'd think this was an urban legend
Old 10th September 2008

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Aero Convertible

Use chicken wire around the car. it worked in Sequoia National Park to keep the marmots away that get high off the taste of anti-freeze and tubes
Old 10th September 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by john scholz
... it worked in Sequoia National Park to keep the marmots away that get high off the taste of anti-freeze and tubes
Well, we all do now and then!

you do all know that was a joke, antifreeze is poison....
Old 11th September 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc Convertible 2.0T

Seems like I hit a nerve with this rodent business! Thanks to all for the advice. I also thought of some kind of wire mesh barrier, but now I realize a small rodent could get by that pretty easily. So, we will see...
Old 11th September 2008

Join Date: Nov 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3 Aero

another option is to start the car while the rodent is in the engine bay.

Bad news: 176 dollars to get the serpentine belt put back on.

Good News: Got the little bugger

Happened in my driveway. starting my audi and lost power steering etc.
after removing the engine cover, found the dead rat with the belt off its tensioner, etc.

now I keep traps outside and so far so good. (along with my cats).
Old 12th September 2008

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 convertible

Last year I had a run of mice based repairs. They got to 3 of my vehicles. Thre real kicker was my dump truck. One day, the thing wouldn't even start. Opened the hood and they had chewed through a few wires and run off with the wire from the coil to the distributor!
Old 11th July 2010

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 Vertible '07 9-5 Wagon
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTop View Post
I bought my convertible used, and found a couple of holes in the hood insulation. Didn't think much of it, until a few months later I checked the cabin air filter. The mouse or mice had pulled the insulation from the hood and stuffed it all against the filter! Lucky I hadn't been sucking the crud into the car for more than a couple months.

Now whenever I store my car (it stays in the barn over winter) I set several mouse traps under the hood. What I've found is that early winter/fall you find they come in from the cold and I need to check them every week. By Jan/Feb I don't need to check them often.

Yes, I have cats, but they don't seem to like car mice, only the ones in the fields (it's same species, but the cats don't know that!).

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my cruel elimination methods, but tough luck. They can be pretty cruel to my poor car, and their droppings can harbor virus harmful to humans. Not to mention the stench of a hot mouse nest!
Old 12th July 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 93T

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon93 View Post
I guess pythons are aware of the mice problem and are taking advantage of the fact lol I'm might get one from pet store and stuff it under the hood.
Old 12th July 2010
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

Bud calls and wants a full set of wires. Something chewed them up. I go over and we are changing and timing his Pinto but there is nothing left of the wiring.

His wife comes home and parks. Few moments later a fat furry woodchuck comes up the drive and disappears under the car. I hear chewing. Pinto Wagon.

Up in New Hampshire, the Toyota J comes out for winter and the Mercedes 280 goes in the barn. Spring and the beast will not start. Start to check the engine compartment and find that the mice have nested .... and .... have used the air cleaner as a store room. Dog food! They packed the whole air cleaner with dog food.
Old 17th July 2010

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Linear

Had to buy a truck for work, so Saab had to sit through the winter (not a bad thing at all). But went to drive it in spring and noticed a weird stink inside. Smelled like pee. What!!!??? Found some "black rice" all over the back seats and in trunk....uh oh... followed the trail of rice behind the trim panels on the drivers side trunk. Found big tufts of insulation and and fuzz way back up inside there. Darn mice made a winter home in my Saab!

Cleaned all the stuff out, but now I have this nasty pee smell. I've tried "odor xit" and various other odor removal products without any success.

Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement