RF grounding - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th August 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: gone: '01 9-5 2.3t, 1997 900 SE turbo
Default RF grounding

So I've been, don't laugh, installing a CB in my 9-5. 900t can tell you why. Anyway, the wizzened old CB'ers say ground everything with braided cable if possible to reduce noise into the CB. I figured maybe some of you had done similar when installing better aftermarket audio or something. What exactly needs to be grounded on a unit body car like a 9-5????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th August 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 convertible

If you properly ground the chassis of the CB radio, you should be fine. However, a word of warning: try to avoid running the antenna cable near any electronic components. (I know, that's difficult with the array of computers and modules in modern cars.) I recall an instance many years ago when a customer installed a CB in his vehicle, running the antenna cable down the right side of the dash panel and under the right kick-panel and carpet retainer on its way to the deck lid. Unfortunately, the engine control module was mounted under the right kick-panel only inches from the antenna wire, and stray RF from the cable killed the ECM and therefore the engine. We had to reroute the cable and replace the ECM and his car was fine after that.

I'm sure that shielding has come a long way since then, but it can't help to be careful. Good luck.
Old 26th August 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

That antennae cable should be coax, you should not have any RF leaking...it's fully shielded, if there is a leak it is usually by the connector and caused by a bad crimp or loose connection.
Old 26th August 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Everything is shielded, but it's the vehicle itself that is the issue. Running RF grounds eveidently can significantly cut background noise.
Old 26th August 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: Currently Saabless

Yes. An ungrounded CB Radio can pick up engine noise; radio noise; or simply increased Static due to all the low frequency emanations from in and around a car. Just use a good braided ground cable and run it to a solid metal contact point. Make sure that the point you use is actual car metal and not just a trim point, and you'll be fine

Oh; and verify the type of antenna you'll be using and its requirements as well. some antennas ground through the radio, but some require their own separate ground to operate properly.
Dub Korps
Old 26th August 2008
Saab on the Brain!

I'm good. I have a magnet mount Wilson Little Will on the trunk. I was going to use a 14 inch Firestik in the old OnStar antenna location, but I didn't realize how much height mattered on CB antennas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement