CD Player Problems - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th August 2008

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Arc
Default CD Player Problems

So about 2 years ago my CD player (stock 5-disc in-dash) started skipping. Seemed to be worse at high speed, though not necessarily so on rough roads at low speed. Also, much much worse in cold weather. In December (in the South, so not even that cold), it's completely unusable and will take upwards of three hours to warm up. Even when I get in after a cool evening in the summer it skips a bit.

I took it to the dealer and they said it was because I was using CD-R's. Looked in the manual, and sure enough it says not use them. A few things make me a bit unsure about that diagnosis though. First, I had been using them for three years without any problems. Second, the manual says they may cause "overheating" which would seem to run counter to the whole cold weather thing. And most importantly, I played nothing but store-bought CD's for about five months and the problem was still worse than ever.

Anybody have any experience with this? I ran a lens cleaner through there with no effect, and I'm wondering if at this point I should just pony up the cash for a new player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th August 2008

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Arc '2003

It could be the same problem as with any other CD/DVD player- laser diode "looses its brightness". I've succesfully "repaired" a couple of them by adjusting brigtness of laser (usually they have potentiometers next to laser) but this is short term solution as diode will continue to age even more quickly. Long term solution is changing the whole laser module.
Another solution could be cleaning the lens "by hand". IMO cleaning discs are waste of money- they never made situation better for me.
Both operations involve complete disassembly of device so take your decision are you able do it or not.
As for CD-Rs- I've lots of them and don't see/know any side effects of using them. If your player is OK they will play the same as CD from store.
Old 14th August 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by awatts30
So about 2 years ago my CD player (stock 5-disc in-dash) started skipping. Seemed to be worse at high speed, though not necessarily so on rough roads at low speed. Also, much much worse in cold weather. In December (in the South, so not even that cold), it's completely unusable and will take upwards of three hours to warm up. Even when I get in after a cool evening in the summer it skips a bit.

I took it to the dealer and they said it was because I was using CD-R's. Looked in the manual, and sure enough it says not use them. A few things make me a bit unsure about that diagnosis though. First, I had been using them for three years without any problems. Second, the manual says they may cause "overheating" which would seem to run counter to the whole cold weather thing. And most importantly, I played nothing but store-bought CD's for about five months and the problem was still worse than ever.

Anybody have any experience with this? I ran a lens cleaner through there with no effect, and I'm wondering if at this point I should just pony up the cash for a new player.
This is a common problem. The changers are often replaced under warranty when they get skippy and the skippyness is down to cold rubber suspensions and grease in cold weather.
You might have some luck getting an out of warranty repair if you complained while still in warranty, otherwise go shopping on ebay or start using an MP3 player and the aux in port.
Old 14th August 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 2.8T 6MT, 2003 9-5 2.3t Wagon

You just explained what most people with the 6 disc changer experience. Its only good for 3ish years before its all but useless

I have this issue as well and its the only thing I dislike about the car. How could they publicly state they are competing against Audi and the like when using such junky components as that cd changer? Dont get me wrong, I adore Saab and view them very favorably against the competition. But something as little as that can really take away from your driving enjoyment and since its so trivial, it drives me up the wall even more

I hear they moved away from Pioneer components in later model 9-3s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement