SaabCentral Forums banner

New old Saab owner, many questions

601 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  web-betty 
#1 ·
I've just purchased a 1996 900 auto, turbo, conv, 186,000.
I don't have an owner's manual so I've spent many hours scouring different forums looking for answers. Please be gentle ;-)
1. Why does my AC always come on when I start the car, even though it was off when I shut down the car? Is it programed? How do I program it myself?
2. I have no seat belt chime or turn indicator noise, is this a problem with the speaker in the sid? How do I fix this or where can I find the info? Do I need a new sid?
3. My airbag is disconnected and my horn does not work, should I attempt to repair this by following the steering wheel removal instructions or is it something best left for a mechanic?
4. I was told I have oil leaking from 2 crankshaft seals and as long as I monitor the oil level and its not too bad I should be able to live with it for awhile. Is this correct or is it more urgent?
5. Does the power antenna go all the way down when the car is turned off? Mine remains about 12in up.
6. Should I hear a beep when the conv roof has finished closing (I don't). Does this sound also come from the speaker in the sid.

I've had the car two days and I've already done something quite stupid with it; I ran the ACC calibration twice without starting the car. Wiped out the battery and had to get a boost :-( now my girlfriend thinks I should maybe stick to my day job.

Thanks in advance for any possible help

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
bitjiggle said:
I've just purchased a 1996 900 auto, turbo, conv, 186,000.
I don't have an owner's manual so I've spent many hours scouring different forums looking for answers. Please be gentle ;-)
1. Why does my AC always come on when I start the car, even though it was off when I shut down the car? Is it programed? How do I program it myself?
2. I have no seat belt chime or turn indicator noise, is this a problem with the speaker in the Sid?A minor problems - yes. How do I fix this Replace the speaker..or where can I find the info? Do I need a new SID? No, the speaker is a tiny common type - Radio Shack or Lafayette Electronics..
3. My airbag is disconnected and my horn does not work, should I attempt to repair this by following the steering wheel removal instructions or is it something best left for a mechanic?Hard to tell, IMO, this is advanced DIY work. Apparently, the "clock-spring" is not making contact.
4. I was told I have oil leaking from 2 crankshaft seals and as long as I monitor the oil level and its not too bad I should be able to live with it for awhile. Is this correct or is it more urgent?This is correct to an extent.
The leakage rate must be known.The front or harmonic balancer pulley seal is fairly easy to access and change.
5. Does the power antenna go all the way down when the car is turned off? Mine remains about 12in up.Its probably bent or the gears are worn..
6. Should I hear a beep when the conv roof has finished closing (I don't). Does this sound also come from the speaker in the sid.Probably..

I've had the car two days and I've already done something quite stupid with it; I ran the ACC calibration twice without starting the car. Wiped out the battery and had to get a boost :-( now my girlfriend thinks I should maybe stick to my day job.Your battery may have failed a type of load test.
Do the full battery/alternator service, including the serpentine belt and pulleys.
Any repair history ?

Thanks in advance for any possible help
Welcome to Saab Central, Bitjiggle:cheesy:

#3 ·
earthworm said:
6. Should I hear a beep when the conv roof has finished closing (I don't). Does this sound also come from the speaker in the sid.Probably.

While my car is vastly different than yours (00 93 Vig vert), I believe you should hear a chime when the top has finished closing and is ready to be latched. Mine always lets me know when it's ready to be fully closed. :)

I'm guessing if you replace the speaker as earthworm suggests, the problem will be solved (since other chimes are lacking as well).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.