I am loosing sleep over my water leak, could use some help! (pics) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3t (OOW)
Default I am loosing sleep over my water leak, could use some help! (pics)

water well behind driver is filling in heavy rain storms. It only happens when the car is level. I went to the dealership last night because i had the usual gap above the driver side rear passenger door. He fixed the gap and explained to me that there is a rubber seal inside the door that is leaking. Does anybody have ANY idea on how to fix this? I am going insane. All door seals are still very soft and buttery smooth.

This is where the water pools up and flows over

Ran some tests by just spraying water on the window

Ran some tests with spraying on the gap and holding a towell to stop water from running down window and off to side to be sure water is entering in here

Tried sealing off Rubber sound barrier with duct tape to stop water from entering the door

Didn't work

Water inside the sound barrier

top of door

How is water supposed to be properly diverted away from that area? It didn't matter if i sprayed the top of the door or the window, water always came in. I did fill that gap on the top of the door with caulk and it did work for a bit. Unfortunatly that black strip keeps on moving, and it created a gap again with the caulk and i think that is how the leak started. You can see how far it has moved since yesterday.

Does anybody know how to fix this friggin problem?

Last edited by robhurlburt; 24th July 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th July 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9 Arc

You might want to look into getting new rubber lineings for your door. It seems that because you have that little rip, it looks like its alowing water to get under the window.
Old 24th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

its not a rip though....there are 2 seperate pieces. the one towards the front of the car moves on me

unless you are talking about a different piece than the plastic pieces above the door
Old 24th July 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9 Arc

Well if its two pieces of rubber, then they could have been pulled away from each other, due to opening, closing, grabbing, etc. So you could try pushing those together. I honestly dont think you will be able to do that with your hands, but i dont really know what else you could use.
Old 24th July 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 ARC

Just pump some silacone in the gap
Miles to Date: 178,000 ish No major problems, Replaced My 1st set of breaks @ 130,000, they lasted for ever. Door handels are now grey, badges are chipped, rubber inside is pealing bad and im on my 4th windshield. Only real problem was a new gas cap and wheel bearing and ac blower. Also dealer replaced broken front springs. SWEET!!!
Old 25th July 2008

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

I have a 2005 with the same problem. After the third time taking it into the shop, they replaced some kind of seal in the rear door and it stopped the leak. I also have the gap, which is still there, in the trim. This didn't seem to be the cause of the problem. There are some other threads here that talk about this, but give a myriad of solutions.

Good Luck!
Old 25th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeves
Just pump some silacone in the gap
i did, and the gap got bigger, which made the silicone worthless... I am at the point where i need a solution, not a patch. Thanks for the suggestions, all are welcomed and appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinMD
I have a 2005 with the same problem. After the third time taking it into the shop, they replaced some kind of seal in the rear door and it stopped the leak. I also have the gap, which is still there, in the trim. This didn't seem to be the cause of the problem. There are some other threads here that talk about this, but give a myriad of solutions.

Good Luck!
Do you have ANY idea as to what they replaced????

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIM3
Well if its two pieces of rubber, then they could have been pulled away from each other, due to opening, closing, grabbing, etc. So you could try pushing those together. I honestly dont think you will be able to do that with your hands, but i dont really know what else you could use.
its actually 2 pieces of plastic. I understand the logic of just moving it back in place, but you can see the gap it created in 24hrs. I would have to do this everyday with my morning coffee, to me, thats just not acceptable. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 27th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

going to the dealer on tues with the door panel off. hopefully he can point me in the right direction. still looking for more options though!
Old 27th July 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

The Door Gasket is disintegrating, a bunch of us have had this issue.
Old 28th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

which gasket? mine still seem to be buttery smooth. No cracks or anything
Old 30th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

well we had another storm today, sure enoug it go f*ckin soaked. I am going to try and put plastic in between where the door and rubber shield is, so the water doesn't even have a chance to get to the rubber part and leak over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement