Power Seat Problem! - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Question Power Seat Problem!

So I just picked up "new" power seats from the junk yard the other day. They are a dark gray with barely any signs of wear. They are in great condition! And when I say great, I really mean great. The only problem is that the stitching is coming apart on the back seat. Does anyone know where I could get that fixed?

Anyway, here's my real problem. Both from seats are the 8-way power seats with the memory function. The driver's side seat works with the power and the memory functions with no problems. However, the passenger side forward and backward works very strangely. It will work, but only if you press the button more than once. If you press the lever, it will move for about 1 second, then stop. So the lever has to be pressed again, and you have to keep doing that until you get it to the spot you want. The tilting option works just fine, only the forward backward option. Also, when using the memory, when you push the button, it will only do the tilting portion of the memory, I assume because it has the issue with the forward backward function. Is my motor dying or something?

The strange thing is when I was at the junk yard getting the seats out, I was able to get the passenger side out with the tool. I was able to get a power pack from the people at the junk yard and I moved the drivers side with that. When I was moving it though, it was doing the same thing the passenger side is now. However, when I got it into my car, the problem stopped. I just find that very strange.

So, is my motor dying? Is there another problem? Any of your opinions would be appreciated =] Sorry for the longevity, I just wanted you to have all the information I could supply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Does anyone know? I can't figure out why it's doing this. Like I said, it's only back and forth movement, not any of the other movements that has the problem. Please help!
Old 23rd July 2008

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 97 9000CD

Initially sounds electrical, perhaps check or move the earth wire, make sure it's a good connection.
I remember years ago I had a 91 9000 turbo and the seats worked intermittantly - found out the plastic sheath on the cables had split underneath causing the cable end to disengage from the motor so check those as well.

For my own interest - did your car have power seats in it originally. Mine are manual and I was wondering if I can fit electric seats. Are all the smarts in the seat itself, do I just need to run power or are there other considerations?
Old 24th July 2008
Saab Lunatic

Hmm, I guess I should check the wires and such. It's just weird that only back and forth has the problem.

As far as my seats being electric before: they were. However, neither of them were memory before, but the new ones are. The memory option seems to work so that must mean the smarts are in the seat. If you don't have the electric seats in your car, and you don't have the connectors under them, then I would assume you'd have to find your own power somewhere and run it yourself.
Old 24th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: C900 vert white 92, c900 vert 92 yellow

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've just fitted 9000 memory seats to my classic 900 and have exactly the same symptoms. Yes I am an immigrant from the classic 900 section but in my defence I had a 9000 CDE for 5 years and still miss it sometimes.
Just wondering if this was a normal safety feature or what the problem could be?
Old 24th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjum View Post
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've just fitted 9000 memory seats to my classic 900 and have exactly the same symptoms. Yes I am an immigrant from the classic 900 section but in my defence I had a 9000 CDE for 5 years and still miss it sometimes.
Just wondering if this was a normal safety feature or what the problem could be?
You know, I can't remember if I resolved this problem or not. I do remember having the issue though.

IIRC, I do believe the Memory Box that is attached to the seat had something to do with it. Don't quote me on that, but I think I solved a similar issue with it.

Funny thing, the 9000 is long since gone, however I just purchased a Viggen a couple weeks ago and the drivers seat is having the same problem! I contribute it to the actual seat and not anything else, though. I will have to see if I can work out the problem eventually.
Old 24th June 2012
Saab Crazy

So definitely a fault then. I wasn't sure till I saw your post.
Old 24th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 9K CSE, 97 9K CS, 96 9K CS, 94 9K CSE

Under the RH (passenger) seat - in the front, by your feet - are a pair of relays. For whatever reason (ease of removal probably), they always have a piece of black electrical tape attached.

These are the seat power control relays. Among other things, they allow the seats to be adjusted with the door open and the ignition in the off position. You might try switching them left to right. Operate the drivers side manually and see if the problem follows.

Also - and this may not apply - what year was the donor 9000?:

Post 95 9000 seats are not wired for seat memory on the passenger side.
Old 25th June 2012
Saab Crazy

It must be pre 95 as it's definitely got a memory function but only works partially, same as justin.graeff's seats.
Will look at the relays.
Old 26th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 96 9K CSE, 97 9K CS, 96 9K CS, 94 9K CSE

Here is the power seat schematic for a 9000 - 1994 and down (with memory on both sides) - might be of some use:

And some info - as applies to 1994 and prior:

The memory operation means that the electrically operated seat is equipped with an electronic control module, a position sensor on each motor and a switch with four buttons for memory programming and operation.

The memory operation allows the possibility of storing three seat adjustments that the seat can than assume automatically when the button for the particular adjustment is held in.

From and including M94 it is also possible to operate the seat when the ignition key is in the OFF position and also when the respective door is opened.

This operation is achieved by the electronic control module, that reads the status of the interior lighting door switches.

From and including M95 the electrically operated front seat with memory is only used on the driver side.

Current Saab 9000 M96 introduce a new electronic control module with two connectors, A with pin 26 or with pin 8.

The button set for memory and memory programming operation consists of four buttons. Three memory buttons, "1 ", "2 " & "3 ", and also a memory programming button "M ". The seat adjustment is stored in the memory in the following way:

• Position the seat in the desired position using the regular switch.
  • Store the adjustment position pressing the "M " button and one of the memory buttons "1 ", "2 " or "3 " at the same time.
  • To recall the stored adjustment position press and hold the selected memory button until the desired seat position is achieved.

The electronic control module is supplied with voltage from +30 via a fuse 25 (LHS) and fuse 26 (RHS). The motors, switch and position sensors (potentiometers) are supplied with voltage from the electronic control module.

The electronic control module constantly reads the switches and then selects an appropriate combination of switches and the electronic control module carries out the corresponding operations. When the motors are activated, the electronic control module regulates the current consumption of each motor and checks the seat position via the position sensors.

The position sensors are potentiometers fitted on the particular motor shaft.

The potentiometers are measured with a 5v voltage. Form the electronic control module. When the motor is rotated the voltage at the center output varies between 0.4v and 4.6v . By measuring this voltage the electronic control module is able to decide the seat adjustment.

The M95 electronic control module and the M96 electronic control module (current production) have separate connectors for the particular motor and potentiometer according to the following:

• 4 x 2 pole connector for the motors.
  • 4 x 3 pole connector for the potentiometers.
The earlier electronic control module have cable exits.

Important: Caution should be observed if any of the 2 or 3 pole connectors become free during fault diagnosis.

The connector terminals are not mechanically coded, only color coded. Incorrect connection can lead to faulty operation.

The switches consists of a number of circuit breakers (1 pole 2 way), that's polarity is measured by B+ from the electronic control module. When a switch contact is made B+ is measured at the appropriate switch intake on the electronic control module. The voltage then varies from 0 to approx. 12v .

The switches and the memory buttons are continually monitored by the electronic control module. When an appropriate choice of switch or memory button is detected, the electronic control module carries out the appropriate operation, that is to say, the motors are controlled manually or by the adjustment memory or the seat adjustment is stored in the memory function.

Inappropriate choice of switch or memory button, for example pressing several memory buttons or more than two switches at the same time results in no operation. Selecting the memory programming or the memory adjustment at the same time results in the activation of the manual setting.

At manual setting of the seat adjustment the electronic control module reads from the selected switch and then supplies current to the appropriate motor.

The electronic control module only allows two motors to be driven at the same time, that are stopped if more than two switches are selected on the manual control unit at the same time. The electronic control module supplies current to these motors as long as the particular switches on the manual control unit are selected (maximum 1 minute ).

The back rest has no mechanical stop to limit its inclination forwards and backwards. The limitation is decide by the electronic control module by reading the back rest position sensor. The electronic control module does not permit the back rest motor to operate if its position sensor is faulty.

Electronic control module reads all the position sensors and stores their readings in an internal seat memory. The seat memory is none-volatile and stores information even when the electronic control module is without voltage.

If any of the position sensors is faulty the new seat adjustment is not stored in the seat memory, without a possible earlier memorized seat adjustment setting remaining after settings in the memory.

Memory adjustment

The electronic control module reads all the position sensors and guides the seat motor adjustments in correspondence with the adjustment stored in the seat memory, or until the memory switch is released.

If the electronic control module detects any fault in any of the position sensors or if the seat slowly moves itself in any way, the corresponding motor is stopped.

Last edited by chengny; 26th June 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 26th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Thanks, that will help a lot!
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Right, sorted it!!

For future info this behaviour is due to the servo feedback on the relevant motor being faulty.

This is, I suspect, most commonly due to a dodgy connector (the three way one on the end of the servo on the end of the motor, this will make sense when you look at the motors).

On mine the connector housing had disintegrated and the metal cocts on the ends of the wires were shorting. Once I'd seperated them the seat worked normally.

The clue as to which motor is in which function is intermittent and won't work with the memory button. There are 4 motors in all one for forward/backward (towards the front of the seat), one for the seat back tilt (towrds the back of the seat) and two for the raising and lowering (in the middle on either side)of the front and back of the seat base.

Other possibilities are dodgy servo connections inside the ECU, these are the two thinner connectors which you have to take the cover off to see.
The servo itself could be faulty
Or if you are unlucky a faulty ecu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement