New headlights from where? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Workshop
Saab 9000 Workshop Saab 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29-06-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: HKS powered 92,9K CSE 2.3A T
Default New headlights from where?

Ok, I have fitted a HID to my car, I ended up taking the whole light unit out of both sides, and the aim was all over the place when I put them back in, so I asked the garage next door to align them for me.

The MOT guy came, took the car, and a few minutes later, came back and said he couldn't get the aim any higher, they had gone up as far as they would. I went to have a look at the beam aim scope, and the light's ' cloud ' was an inch under the permitted sight area.

So, any ideas? I have noticed there is like a rubber and metal grippy thing on the underside of the headlamp case, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the car metalwork under the headlamp for this clip to go onto. I'll take a pic later of the clip thing so you can see it.

Also, for those that fitted HID's, I have this other problem.

The lights come on ok when I rotate the headlight switch around to position 2, main beam. But with main beam on, and I put high beam on, the drivers side HID goes out, and stays out, but the passenger side stays on. When I turn the high beam off, the drivers side light stays off. I have to turn the headlight switch back down to sidelight, then main beam for both headlights to come on. Is there something wrong with the cars wiring?

I have 2 of these HID kits, and have tried switching ballasts round, and it's always the RHS headlight that goes out. I have switched the bulbs over too, but still the same. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have also noticed that the LHS main beam glows brighter than the RHS headlight, even if I change the ballasts and the bulbs over from left to right.

I was thinking maybe because the chromed refelctor inside the lights are gone, maybe I should get a NEW pair of headlights, but GSF don't list them and Eurocarparts.com want 201 for the RHS and 215 for the LHS!!! Those are complete unit prices, which includes new glass too I think, but I don't really need the glass, I have 2 of each already. How much do Saab dealer want? The same? Is there anywhere else I can get new units cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-06-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

Hello - I`ve the same probem - (no HID) & secondhand is the only other option - US havea good supplier but not for RHD!
Old 30-06-08
Saab Lunatic

One of your main beams goes out when you turn on high beam? Is it the RHS of LHS?

I just had a look at the spare lights I have, and it's not a clip underneath, it's a drain hole!! So thats not it then.
Old 30-06-08

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: '91 saab 9000i 2.0 Turbo 16v

You may want to investigate all the supply connections for that RHS headlight. If a connection is a bit iffy the ballast may not have enough power to initiate that full beam and therefore kill the main beam.

As far as I know the relays under the bonnet can sometimes cause interesting problems, however I didn't think it supplyed the headlights seperately I thought it was just one output...

So.. something like that... :P

Lewis
Old 30-06-08
Saab Lunatic

Thing is, I've got a spare used headlight relay block, the big red one, which I put in to check if that would make a difference, but it still did it. I know it's used, and could be doing it because it is used, not new. The big red relay block is the only headlight relay isn't it? There aren't others hidden are there?

Also, tonight, I took the car out onto an open stretch of straight road, and the spread pattern is practically non-existent. There are 2 oval spots of relly bright white light on the road, like spot lights, but the outside of these are very dimly lit. Is the lack of reflective surface inside the headlamp causing this or is it just HID's bulbs that do this? The Osram Night Breaker bulbs I had in before spread out quite far ahead and wide too.
Old 01-07-08

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9000 CS 92

Have you adjusted the height ???
Old 01-07-08
Saab Mad

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2 9ks,white '87T &'96 Silver Aero 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK9K
Also, for those that fitted HID's, I have this other problem.

The lights come on ok when I rotate the headlight switch around to position 2, main beam. But with main beam on, and I put high beam on, the drivers side HID goes out, and stays out, but the passenger side stays on. When I turn the high beam off, the drivers side light stays off. I have to turn the headlight switch back down to sidelight, then main beam for both headlights to come on. Is there something wrong with the cars wiring?
I know that our cars keep low beams on at low intensity when high beams are on. I guess this is where the problem comes from.
I once read about a procedure to eliminate some relay to run low beams at full power even during high beam on. This might solve your problem. Sorry I can't be more specific
Old 01-07-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

I don`t want to depress you, but this is interesting reading & viewing........

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 01-07-08

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9000 CS 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianm
I don`t want to depress you, but this is interesting reading & viewing........

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Depends on how much he spent as to how depressed he is going to be ! I personaly dont have HID
Old 04-07-08
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: `94 9000 CSE auto

On, my '94 there is a resistor that the headlights run the low beam through when you switch to high beam. It's a tan or dirty white round jobber about 50 mm wide. In my car it's mounted on the inner fender right near the fuseblock. I'm not sure what all models this is there for, but worth checking out.

Old 04-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Oh, is that what that thing is. Yeah, I got one of those too. Hmm, so does anyone know how to check if this is faulty or not? If the resistor IS faulty, then would it cause the symptoms I am having?

I have found that when I have the lights on main beam, and pull the highbeam on, there is like a funny sound comes from the rotary light switch. Sort of like erm....kkkerrrssshh sound??!?! Erm, sounds like short circuit sound in wiring, so I got another healight switch from Ebay, put that in, but still make the sound. I don't know if it made that sound prior to fitting the HID's tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement