Another DI cassette thread - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd June 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1989 T16S T5
Garage
Default Another DI cassette thread

The wife's car (99 9-5) started running on 3 cylinders on Saturday evening, combined with a very hot smell, so suspected the DI cassette. Pulled the cassette off on Sunday morning, and sure enough there was oil in one of the spark plug holes, so pretty sure it's the DI cassette. Ordered a replacement this morning.

Anyway, I happen to have a red DI cassette from a 9000 sitting in the garage, and like the ad, thought 'what's the worse that can happen?'. So slotted it in, started her up, and back to purring like a kitten again.

Now, I know that red DI cassettes are for Trionic 5, and black DI cassette's are for Trionic 7, and everyone says you can't fit a red one to a T7 car, it will damage cassette/ECU/cat/TB (delete as applicable).

So, bearing in mind that I did fit a red one, it did work, and the wife wants to use the car tomorrow, what will happen if we use this red DI cassette until the new black one arrives, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd June 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+
Garage

I think the difference is that the T5 cassette can't sense knock like the T7 one can. I don't think it will be a problem for a short period of time.

>>> THE Stereo Upgrade Thread <<<
Old 23rd June 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrobbo

So, bearing in mind that I did fit a red one, it did work, and the wife wants to use the car tomorrow, what will happen if we use this red DI cassette until the new black one arrives, and why?
So tomorrow night tell her she's broke the car and start crying.....

Feeling bad she'll let you buy the entire Nordic catalogue
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 24th June 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1989 T16S T5
Garage

Just a quick update, the car did around 80 miles with the red DI fitted, doesn't seem to have done it any harm, not so far anyway.

The replacement DI cassette arrived today, and the wife replaced it herself with instructions from me by e-mail (I was at work and she needed the car) - she was most pleased with herself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement