Brake Squeal - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd June 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 99' 9-3 manual
Default Brake Squeal

I replaced my brakes about 2 years/ 14,000 miles ago and the whole time I've had them they squeal badly in the heat. ProStop ceramic pads and fairly cheap rotors from advanced auto. One of their salesman said the pads are what really matter and to spend more on the pads, not the rotors.

I tried a anti squeal spray product that goes on the back of the pads and also cleaned the pads and rotors at the same time, no real difference. Looking around online I found it could be because my pads are so hard that they require a higher quality rotor to match. It would be worth it to me to go for 2 new front rotors (close to all of the squeal is from the front) if this would fix my problem. Advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd June 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 Aero / 08 93t

as far as i know at first when You get new pads, You do 3 rounds: 0-30mph and floor the brake. then 0-50 and 0-70 same. if it still squeals after that, then they are going to squeal all the time.
Old 23rd June 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 Stg OMG; JZW Tuned

two years, eh? sounds like a great reason to upgrade. EBC greenstuffs I hear are pretty quiet.
Old 23rd June 2008

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Red Stuff too, also ceramic. Ceramic brakes are a little noisier than other compounds, but their sound is more a grinding noise. In my experience, squealing seems to be more resonance related. Do you wire brush the calipers out real well to dislodge corrosion and filth, before putting in the new? And the spray is not as good a damper as the goopy stuff like CRC BrakeQuiet.
Old 23rd June 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2K 9-3 Conv, Stage 3 HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc89pl
as far as i know at first when You get new pads, You do 3 rounds: 0-30mph and floor the brake. then 0-50 and 0-70 same. if it still squeals after that, then they are going to squeal all the time.
unless otherwise recommended, which it usually is... ebc, for example, recommends a rather specific drive cycle for new pads. in addition, my redstuffs made funny noises for several hundred miles after the initial bedding in process, and in fact they still do under certain temperature-pressure conditions.

saaboheme has a good recommendation about squealing pads - often, pads squeal because they resonate; this is why you can sometimes make the squeal go away by braking harder or softer. gooey stuff on the back of the pads is kind of like dynamat for speakers.
Old 23rd June 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

They can also rattle if you use the spray on stuff instead of the goop. But if it has been 2 years they might be squeling because they need to be changed. And if you don't your rotors are going to get hammered! But I would get your rotors turned and put some new pads on them. I honestly like the Akebonos right now. But Prostop aren't bad pads either.
Old 23rd June 2008

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 99' 9-3 manual

Thanks for the advice.

I checked out my pads and they have plently of life left, also they've squealed like this with no change since day one so I don't think it's wear related. Maybe I'll try a pad backing instead of the spray, also I'll try and clean the calipers better as Saaboheme said. Any suggestions for a good pad backing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement