My 2007 Sportwagon Aftermarket Audio Install - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY08 9-3 Aero 2.0T Convertible
Default My 2007 Sportwagon Aftermarket Audio Install

Well I finally purchased a new headunit for my sportwagon about a month ago, installed it a couple of weeks ago and now here is the write-up :

1./ THE KIT

I bought a Kenwood DNX5220 which has built in Garmin SatNav, (US equivelant DNX5120) with this I bought a Saab 9-3 2007 fascia kit and a Kenwood KCA-IP100 Ipod connection lead. These items came from Audio Images, the kenwood bits were internet ordered, but the fascia had to be phone ordered as their website doesn;t contain fascias yet. There were a couple of hicups with this order, but I'll come to that later.
I had already bought the Phonocar 4/741 Saab-ISO lead in anticipation of this install, also had already bought an Ipod from Ebay knowing that my ne install would be mp3 based. The Directed 10" sub and MTX Thunder amp, I had from a previous car.

The Hicups 1.
1. The fascia adapter sent to me is the correct one for the car, even comes with a pocket to take up the empty space if installing a single din unit. Unfortunately, the double din cage supplied with the Kenwood headunit is too large to fit into this fascia adapter.
Kenwood give their own part number (CAW1270-01) for a fascia fitting kit for the Saab, which includes a new double din cage and new locking brackets to lock the stereo into the new cage. I ordered this kit from Just Kenwood because they had them instock, though I'm sure Audio Images could have got me the correct one if I had wanted to wait for them to get it into stock. The actual fascia adapter included in this kit is exactly the same as the one I was originally sent, just boxed by Kenwood and including the extra cage and locks.

Correct Fascia Adapter kit

2. The Ipod (KCA-IP100) cable I ordered was also incorrect for this model Kenwood headunit, this is only for specific headunits with a frontal USB. The cable I needed was KCA-IP300, which I again ordered from Just Kenwood this time because they were the cheapest.

2./ THE INSTALL
Running the cables
I started by removing the rear seat bench by pulling it up from the back so it was clear of the seatbelt latches, then levering the 2 clips at the front underside of the bench to release them, this gives a lot more space and access for running cables. Next I removed the sides of the centre console and the rear ashtray to enable me to run cables straight through the centre of the car. I also decided on a power cable direct from the battery for my amp, I found a nice place to run the cable below the centre console and into the engine bay via the rubber bung that the gearbox cables travel through. By running the power and remote turn on cables one side of the centre console and the speaker and RCAs the other, I've kept them reasonably well apart and still easy(ish) to install.

Amp power, remote turn on, speaker cables and RCAs under rear seat

I first poked a hole through the rubber with a sharp bradel, then fed through a cable puller, which is the blue stick in the pic.

This is the amp power cable where it comes into the engine bay, sorry the pic is too close to really see where it is in relation to the engine, but it is at the back, low down and central, plenty of space in my engine bay to reach it due to the deisel engine, not sure how much space other engines have.

Slightly better view of where the amp cable is in the engine bay.
2007 93convertible MY08 - bought 2010 2.5yrs old

Last edited by stevedol; 2nd January 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

After fiddling around feeding all necessary cables up into the headunit space and connecting the phonocar ISO cable to the Saab connectors, and the Kenwood cable to the ISO cable, I was left with this lot of spaghetti hanging out my dash.

Pretty much all the connection I needed were taken care of by connecting the cables together, but I still needed ignition switched power and a connection to the handbrake light.

On the left side of the dash is an unconnected connector, I believe it is for the telephone/bluetooth connections. The purple/grey wire here is an ignition switched source which I tapped into with a scotch-lock, not pretty, but servicable.

The handbrake switch cable is here, blue/purple, again used a scotchlock on this cable.

I don't have the centre speaker connected, and didn't when the Saab stereo was in, so I've used this space to store excess GPS antenna cable.

After final connections all was ready for the introduction of the headunit, with yet more spaghetti coming from the dash.

The first fit.

After driving around like this for a few days testing the system, I decide to try angling the double din cage and headunit within the new fascia so as not to get so much glare from the sun. I managed to do this and these last few photos are how it looks now. The finished? article.

I have tried to include as much information here about what I have done as possible, but I have purposely left out certain info like how the unit is fully secured in place and where my Ipod is hidden, for obvious security reasons, you never know who the 'guests' are on any forum.
Hope you like the install, some more information to follow.
Steve.
Old 13th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

LIVING WITH THE KENWOOD DNX5220
There have been a couple of issues so far with this unit.
Firstly, after resetting the system I've lost access to the preloaded detailed maps in the SatNav, after getting intouch with Kenwood, I've found this is a software issue that can only be sorted by returning the unit to Kenwood. This isn't a problem because the unit is being returned due to the second issue.

The screen has a defect, a pixel is stuck on red, and occaisionally there is one nect to it stuck on blue, I contacted the company I bought the unit from, and they are going to collect the unit and exchange it, so again no real major problem.

Thirdly, when usuing the Ipod, it controls perfectly and seamless, until powering down the car and leaving it off for some time, when starting up again, the Ipod was frozen and the headunit was displaying disconnected, so I was using a USB stick for the first few days while researching the Ipod issue.
This issue was resolved by updating the media software in the headunit. The update was available on Kenwoods website, and once installed, the Ipod functions perfectly everytime.

To summarise this unit appears to be a good unit and all my issues are being sorted out, so when the new one arrives I shall be updating the media software and the SatNav software before touching anything else.

Now just need to find the time to set up my amp and sub.
The unit is presently playing through the Saab 7 speaker amp and the stock rear and front door speakers with Boston Accoustics in the dash, and it sounds good.
I had fed speaker cables from the boot to the front in anticipation of replacing the door speakers and feeding them from my 4 channel amp, but I don't think that will be necessary.
Cheers for now.
Steve.
Old 13th May 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SportCombi 60th Anniversary

Nice work Steve. Do the steering wheel controls still work for volume and tracks?
Old 13th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-5 Aero, '06 9-3SC, '00 Viggen

My God, it moved the steering wheel to the other side of the dash!

Looks great! Too many aftermarket radio mods look cobbled together, yours is beautiful.

Will it work with the '06 models too? I seem to recall reading that the 2007 models abandoned the fibreoptic signal to the rear sub-woofer that the 2006 models employ. Or is that the reason for a new sub and amp in your first picture?
Old 14th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu
Nice work Steve. Do the steering wheel controls still work for volume and tracks?
No, I've lost the steering wheel controls for the time being, if Kenwood release an interface I may get one, but I dont find it a problem not having those controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger
Looks great! Too many aftermarket radio mods look cobbled together, yours is beautiful.

Will it work with the '06 models too? I seem to recall reading that the 2007 models abandoned the fibreoptic signal to the rear sub-woofer that the 2006 models employ. Or is that the reason for a new sub and amp in your first picture?
Thanks for the compliment, I tried to make it look as stock as possible.
Unfortunately, will not work for '06 models, unless they have the facelifted dash and GM radio. The old system comprisies several components all connected via fibre optics, not just to the rear sub, (not all cars have the rear sub anyway), which complicate the issue. This was one of the reasons, along with ever decreasing resale value, for my upgrade from '03 Aero to my present car.
Old 14th May 2008

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 Aero SS
Default Who's better than Stevedol?

Nice job Steve...I really can't wait to dig into my install. Once again you've added critical pieces of information that will help me immensely! This time it's: 1) where you chose to run your amp wire, and 2) nice description of how to get the rear seat out.

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Now a question: Just how much room is there where you passed your power cable? It looks like you ran 8 gauge. Do you think I'll be able to get a 4 gauge through the same spot?

J
Old 14th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMachan
Now a question: Just how much room is there where you passed your power cable? It looks like you ran 8 gauge. Do you think I'll be able to get a 4 gauge through the same spot?

J
you should be able to run 4 guage through there, but you will probably need 2 pairs of hands and be very careful not to pierce the other cables there when you make the initial hole.
Steve.
Old 14th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3 2.0T

Steve, why not mount the GPS antenna under the center speaker grille?

I am amazed at how well GPS signals penetrate. My GPS unit has a built in antenna, I have it mounted under the '07 radio, and it still gets a great signal.

Or even better, mount the guts of the antenna in the sharkfin!
Old 14th May 2008

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 Aero SS

hmmm...Come to think of it, I may do better trying that area above the clutch (US) and running down side of car...just to keep the extra distance from the patch and Ai-Net cables. I'm going to be pulling 100+Amp (potentially) and have no desire for alternator whine or any other noise.
I have to say that I'm really pleased with the way the interior trim pieces fit along the floor of the cabin (e.g. at doors). What an improvement over my '99 93. Them's metal clips! I HATED the plastic pieces with plastic clips...if I wasn't breaking a clip, I was ripping it out of the trim piece and ruining the mount.

Any insight into getting speaker wire into the door? I quickly looked at the wire harness connecting the door to the cabin, but wasn't able to quickly see how to unhook it. Is there room inside to run, say 12 G wire? How does that thing come apart, anyway? I know you said you're not going to do it, but I suspect you'd know the answer.
Old 14th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 Aero BSR Stage 1 & JR Filter

Brilliant write up and pics. Unfortunatley i have the fibre optic system in mine...but an interesting read all the same. The whole thing looks very neat. What I did chuckle at was the sound deadening under your rear seat.. I would say it has about 90% more than my 03 has !! Just waiting for my last roll of edead to arrive and I'll change all that !!
Old 14th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg

I am amazed at how well GPS signals penetrate. My GPS unit has a built in antenna, I have it mounted under the '07 radio, and it still gets a great signal.

Thats what I was thinking too.
Old 14th May 2008

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: Midnight Blue '03 93 SS

So i take it this will not work in my 2003 93?
Old 14th May 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 1.8i >2003<

nope (unfortunately not)
Old 14th May 2008

My Saabs: 03' Saab 9³ 2.0t

I swear you guys post these write ups just to peeve us fiber optic handicaps off!

I talked to a rep from Sony yesterday in Ottawa and he told me they were working (and have been for a while) on integrating fiber optics into their audio technologies and mainstream stuff should be popping up in 2012...

That seems odd since its been around for a while and if you read MOST corporations website, according to them its the best damn thing since Christmas! Better, faster, cheaper, stronger....Like that annoying Canye West song.

Why aren't we seeing more of it in todays consumer electronics?
Old 15th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:

I may mount it there in the future, hadn't really thought of putting it in there to be honest.
Old 15th May 2008
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 03 9-3 SS 2.0T Vector (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctsi
I swear you guys post these write ups just to peeve us fiber optic handicaps off!

I talked to a rep from Sony yesterday in Ottawa and he told me they were working (and have been for a while) on integrating fiber optics into their audio technologies and mainstream stuff should be popping up in 2012...

That seems odd since its been around for a while and if you read MOST corporations website, according to them its the best damn thing since Christmas! Better, faster, cheaper, stronger....Like that annoying Canye West song.

Why aren't we seeing more of it in todays consumer electronics?

MOST is mainly designed for the automotive industry. Believe it or not it is the FUTURE not the past. The 03 Saab was before its time when the MOST system was fitted. At the time of introduction, the 911 and BMW 7 Series were the only vehicles with MOST. Now almost any high end car has the MOST system. ALL BMW, Audi, M-Benz, Porsche, Volvo et all use the MOST system. SAAB/GM made a cost-cutting decision in 07 to go back to the old fashioned GM issued system.

Most of peoples complaints are for upgrading which is hard because of the nature of the system. Basically, make sure you are happy with the audio setup before purchasing the car because upgrading is almost impossible.
Old 15th May 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Titan Gray 60th 9-3

Wow that looks really nice! Great job.

I wish someone would post the same type of step-by-step for the Pioneer Avic....I believe that one will work with steering wheel controls, no?
Old 15th May 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama
Wow that looks really nice! Great job.

I wish someone would post the same type of step-by-step for the Pioneer Avic....I believe that one will work with steering wheel controls, no?
A step by step for the Avic will be pretty much the same as for the Kenwood.
As for steering wheel controls, I don't think anyone has a module yet that will tie in with the Saab controls. Though some claim to work, I don't think anyone has tried them and got conclusive proof that they work.
Steve.
Old 5th June 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:

UPDATE

I have now installed the GPS antenna under the centre speaker grill.
I have also just installed the new replacement headunit, which arrived yesterday, and all seems to be working correctly and no screen blemishes. The software on the new unit is already the latest software for both the headunit and the satnav, so no need for me to update them.
All being well, I won’t have to do anymore to the system, except setup my amp and sub.
Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement