where to buy xenon? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th May 2008

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero
Default where to buy xenon?

So my car came with xenon- I personally think the lights suck to put it frankly. Dull light that my foglights can beat! Not turning pinkish yet but they are probably OEM [02] and might need replacements. So, where can you get these at a decent price? Ebay seems to have multiple cheesy knockoffs that do not look worth it.
Has anybody replaced theirs and noticed a HUGE difference that made the price worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th May 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

I have never heard of diminishing brightness with age, just color shifting and then death, but I could be wrong. I think you're problem may lie elsewhere. Cloudy lenses? Reduced power output to the bulbs?

I have a set of OEM ones with only about 3 days of use on them, as I replaced the brand new bulbs with in 6000k right when I bought my car. (I know I'm not supposed to be selling on the forums, but PM me if interested)

Otherwise, the ones online are not a bad replacement, but note that you increasingly lose light intensity if you go with a higher color temp (6000k very slight blue, 8000k, blue, 10000k, purple, etc.) There is always the risk you may get some that will burn out quicker if you order on ebay though. I have had no problem with my 6000k philips ultinon bulbs though.

Stock is 4300k and is likely brightest, but doesn't have that blue tint people like. The higher the color temp, the more color, but the less brightness. If you lower the color temp, they wind up yellow, like specialized fog lights.

I miss all my Saabs
Old 12th May 2008

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3 lpt

Very good results from www.suvlights.com. $110 for the 4250K Xenon. 6000K for $155.
Old 12th May 2008
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero

i too was unimpressed with the xenons when i first go the car. light output was very dim, i suspect due to the xenons being used as DRLs for the first few years which sapped the life out of the bulb. got new bulbs and it made a huge difference. it was like i had been driving with tint or shades on the headlight.

xenons do get dimmer over time and may do so without the tell tale color shift. other lighting components such as the hcu can also be a victim of wear and tear and cause lighting issues.

be sure to pull the drl fuse. it will probably double the life expectancy of new bulbs. good luck!
Old 12th May 2008

Mattloch- sent you a PM
Old 14th May 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Convertible

I've posted about this before where the output is pure pants...

I looked into getting new bulbs but the stealership wants something daft like £180 per bulb (or was it £280.. )!!!

Looked on ebay and it all seemed like dodgy foreign bulbs so I didnt bother changing and will just wait till the pop.

One the flip side one of the guys at work got a cheapo kit from Hong Kong. Cost him £10 for the kit and £15 P&P so £25 in total. He's been running them for a few weeks and they still work and they work ok. .. kinda makes me wonder are the cheapos that bad??

Old 14th May 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_W
I've posted about this before where the output is pure pants...

I looked into getting new bulbs but the stealership wants something daft like £180 per bulb (or was it £280.. )!!!

Looked on ebay and it all seemed like dodgy foreign bulbs so I didnt bother changing and will just wait till the pop.

One the flip side one of the guys at work got a cheapo kit from Hong Kong. Cost him £10 for the kit and £15 P&P so £25 in total. He's been running them for a few weeks and they still work and they work ok. .. kinda makes me wonder are the cheapos that bad??
I have found that the bulbs that Saab dealerships use are Philips Xenstart 4300k D1S bulbs. These exact bulbs can be had on eBay for significantly less than the dealership charges.

I wouldn't trust any of the no name bulbs sold on eBay, but if you can find Osram D1S bulbs, or Philips Xenstart bulbs they should be similar in longevity and quality as the OE parts.

Most Philips Xenstart bulbs found online will be of the 4300k (standard white light) variety. Although they aren't marketed in the U.S. the 6000k (hint of blue tint) Xenstart bulbs can also be found. These bulbs are also known as Philips Ultinon. These are what I am using now.

I miss all my Saabs
Old 14th May 2008

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero

If you're still looking for xenons I know a guy that can get them in the U.S., any K temp you're looking for $200 USD. Comes with a lifetime warranty too.

I went with the 6K, my buddy with his SRT-8 Jeep got the same for his headlights and foglights, another friend with a Ford Lightning did the same, and another with his WRX, and another with his M3. All of ours are working perfectly and the ballasts are about the same size as a Motorola Razor cell phone.

I'm in Milwaukee, WI U.S.A. if you're interested.
Old 15th May 2008

Thanks to Mattloch I just purchased 2 new Xenstarts for $89 including shipping on Ebay. Its still ridiculously expensive compared to a $4 regular bulb though!! I hope they are worth it! If I do not notice any difference I will put them up for sale here 1st.
Old 16th May 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Aero Convertible

Let us know how you get on with them.

Old 20th May 2008

So my new xenons are worth it after all!! Installation was easy- just like playing that "Operation" game! Don't touch the sides or the buzzer goes off! I just took a test drive in a heavy downpour and surface fog. Easily seen difference. Before I had to drive with my fogs on all the time I had my headlights on so I could see the road. now when I turn on the fogs I do not even know they are on due to the increase in "new" light.

So it has been proven- Xenons do dim with age- now I just have to see how fast!
Old 20th May 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrights
So my new xenons are worth it after all!! Installation was easy- just like playing that "Operation" game! Don't touch the sides or the buzzer goes off! I just took a test drive in a heavy downpour and surface fog. Easily seen difference. Before I had to drive with my fogs on all the time I had my headlights on so I could see the road. now when I turn on the fogs I do not even know they are on due to the increase in "new" light.

So it has been proven- Xenons do dim with age- now I just have to see how fast!
Awesome! I'm glad they worked as you wanted!

I miss all my Saabs
Old 5th June 2008

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '04 9-5 ARC 2.3T Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlach
I have found that the bulbs that Saab dealerships use are Philips Xenstart 4300k D1S bulbs. These exact bulbs can be had on eBay for significantly less than the dealership charges.

I wouldn't trust any of the no name bulbs sold on eBay, but if you can find Osram D1S bulbs, or Philips Xenstart bulbs they should be similar in longevity and quality as the OE parts.

Most Philips Xenstart bulbs found online will be of the 4300k (standard white light) variety. Although they aren't marketed in the U.S. the 6000k (hint of blue tint) Xenstart bulbs can also be found. These bulbs are also known as Philips Ultinon. These are what I am using now.
Mattlach,

What is your source for these bulbs?
Old 5th June 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdee
Mattlach,

What is your source for these bulbs?
again,

I got my Philips Xenstart 6000k / Ultinons on Ebay from this guy.

Just make sure you get D1S bulbs and you should be OK.

I miss all my Saabs
Old 5th June 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Here is a shot of the "white" LED's and my 6000k HIDs with my new camera. Figured I'd repost now that I have a decent camera to take pictures with.

As always, click for larger.

I miss all my Saabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement