Replacing shifter(auto) "blind"/"Jalousie" - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd April 2008

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '98 9-5 SE new turbo!
Default Replacing shifter(auto) "blind"/"Jalousie"

Hi peoples, here is a really strange one for you all,
My auto shifter lever will not go past D...then i looked, the part that covers the slot where it moves back and forward, the lower part (to the rear of the car) had broken off so when i came to **** to 3,2,1, the remaining section of the cover that curves over the back of the shifter housing will not curve.

If absolutely none of this makes sense to you, I'll post the EPC pic with part highlighted below.

Now, my main question is, how on earth am I meant to get he shover lever off so I can take the indicator cover off and replace the slidey bit?

If anyone can help that would be great.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd April 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

From memory...the black plastic surround can be prised up using your fingernails. This will expose 4 torx screws that hold the gear indicator panel down, remove these 4 screws and the panel and you will now have access to the jalousie, to refit or replace as needed.

Old 23rd April 2008

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '98 9-5 SE new turbo!

Thanks Kermit, much obliged - im going to ask the stealership how much that tiny bit of plastic is tomorrow..

Dave
Old 24th October 2010

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero 2002
Default Replacing the Jalousie

I just went through this one yesterday and thought I'd post my observations to help out the next guy.

The surround ring comes up easily enough, but rather than any screws to release the main cover this was held in place by additional plastic "barbed" tabs. One of the four of these gave me some trouble - perhaps because I lifted too much on one end before all four were pulled up.

The "Winter" button was not very compliant - making it difficult to move the cover very far - I worked around it without removing the button or the cover.

The screw in the handle is a T-10 torx
separating the handle required gentle prying - but it is truly just two major pieces. I have a plastic tool used for these things - a mental one might cut the leather.

The wires to the Sport button were attached with "faston" connectors - simple to slip off no soldering required. It does not matter which goes on which terminal - but the wires are not terribly robust so exercise care to not break them. Take care to release the wires from the guides in the rear handle as it is pulled gently away.

There is a "U" shaped clip that holds the moving knob on the actuator shaft. This has to be removed to separate the handle. There is an additional stop mechanism that requires a touch of a screwdriver or other tool to allow the knob to slide completely up and off.

After the knob is off the other portion of the handle will slide off the metal channel.

The jalousie is attached to a plastic color filter that illuminates the selected gear range. To separate these gently rotate so that they are at 90 deg. to align the oval hole so the plastic will easily come off the oval button.

Now is the time to replace the lamp if it has failed - the dealer charges about $80 to do this.

With the cover restrained close it was a minor challenge to fit the new jalousie and reattach the plastic color filter and then slide each into the receiving guides on all four ends without unduly bending an of them too much.

During reassembly its important to guide the wires carefully back through the handle and gently press them into the channels provided so they will not be crushed or chafe after assembly. The sliding knob will just barely fit when replacing the "U" clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement