Poss. to mess up Fuel Filter? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-04-08

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 94 saab 900s 2.3l
Default Poss. to mess up Fuel Filter?

Just got my saab back from my mechanic. Had him do oil change and fuel filter / also balance the front tires as this was my bad front end prob (havent had time to bring it up on the highway yet) But i noticed when i looked at the new fuel filter there was gas on it hanging from the bottom. Not literally leaking but there. I wiped it down and im going to let it sit for a little while then start it up and watch.... think they screwed up the washers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-08
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Wagon

I had this problem before and it is possible that there could be a crack at the teflon fuel line at the banjo fittings.

I've also found that using regular copper crush washers that most fuel filters come with don't work that well. You need the kind that has a rubber ring on the inside.
Old 07-04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches
I had this problem before and it is possible that there could be a crack at the teflon fuel line at the banjo fittings.

I've also found that using regular copper crush washers that most fuel filters come with don't work that well. You need the kind that has a rubber ring on the inside.
Ok, car off - fine, no leak / car on, its leaking from the copper gasket from the tank side. Tried with a wrench to tighten it, seems pretty damn tight. Fine to drive? Its just a steady drip drip drip. Going to bring it to him 2morrow morning, have to drive on hwy 15min eachway, safe? I should only be light on gas as i would think.
Old 07-04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiostech
Ok, car off - fine, no leak / car on, its leaking from the copper gasket from the tank side. Tried with a wrench to tighten it, seems pretty damn tight. Fine to drive? Its just a steady drip drip drip. Going to bring it to him 2morrow morning, have to drive on hwy 15min eachway, safe? I should only be light on gas as i would think.
Im also pretty pissed off, i forgot to mention.
Old 07-04-08
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

I'd drive it, I think.

But there are many on this board who would not..
By rights, the installer should come to your home and do the job correctly or his company should pay for the towing..
Even at $100 per hour and they cannot trouble themselves to check out their work..That is what galls me ! Mistakes can and will be made; but any job MUST be inspected.....
Saab fuel line, IMO, is very rugged; but, changing the filter requires two wrenches - the filter is designed for this ...
The good filters will also include new sealing washers...probably copper.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 07-04-08
jeff3

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

It is environmentally unfriendly to drive it this way for long - but to the shop that did the work to fix it, ok. Not to mention with the price of fuel, it is suicidally uneconomical to drive it this way for long. Take it back and have them make it right. And Ches is right on the money - you need the brass and rubber washers in there.
Old 08-04-08

The environtment is now safe, its fixed!
Old 08-04-08

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Estate + 900S Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboheme
Not to mention with the price of fuel, it is suicidally uneconomical to drive it this way for long.
Come and see us over here in Europe if you really want to be depressed

Anyway, if the sealing washers were damaged then no amount of tightening will fix the leak. Hopefully the repair involved remaking the joint with the correctly specified Saab seals.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement