ignition lock cylinder replacement - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th March 2008

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1993 900s
Angry ignition lock cylinder replacement

Any help on replacing the ignition lock cylinder on a 1993 900?
I have the console off, but seem to be lookinf at some kind of security plate with no nuts visable.
Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th March 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 91 Saab 900S

Dustoff6,

Read the thread below. It gives a detailed description of what I did to repair my ignition lock.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88287

-vbadoni91
Old 26th March 2008

Question

I think I must be stupid, but I can't for the life of me find these "Three Ignition Lock nuts" that need an adapted 3/8 nut to undo.
Old 26th March 2008
SaabNut!

Dustoff6,

Post on 19-11-06 at 12.50 AM has the picture. It is the last picture in the post. There is a blue and a red wire (wire-tied together) running over the three pronged nut. This picture actually shows the three pronged nut.

Post on 21-11-06 at 10.14 AM has the picture. It is the only picture in that post. The three pronged screw should be 11 "O" Clock from the gear shift lever and is currently removed. The third nut is symmetric to the screw in this picture. It will be 1 "O" Clock from the gear shift lever and is hidden by the black and blue wires.

Let me know if helps. I did receive your private inbox from you and hope this information answers the questions you had in there.

-Vbadoni91
Old 26th March 2008

Smile

thanks so much for bearing with me on this, I never did find the three prong nuts, they were just 3/8 nuts. Here is where I am at I have the whole ignition console out and on the bench, shifter knob removed. exactly same as your last picture in the post...

Guess what? still cant get the ignition lock cylinder out, I have tried the coat hanger, to no avail, I think it may be because the key will not turn in the lock to get it 5degrees past lock.

I may surrender and take the ignition console to the dealers for them to remove the cylinder and insert the lock.

Can't be that much, Then again, they wanted $580,00 plus towing if I had taken the car up to them..

I really appreciate all your help, and the great pic's, to quote Gordon Ramsey "your'e the dogs ********"
Old 26th March 2008
SaabNut!

hi dustoff6,

It took me a while to take it out. Actually I tried so hard and so long that my wife did a search on the internet and found how a guy did this on his Ford and then came down to the garage and did it for me. She is a Mechanical Engineer...

It is diffcult because if your garage is dark, you cannot see the hole and the tab that you are trying to press. The best thing is to do it while it is light outside, or the passenger cabin is flooded with light. If you can focus your vision while a helper is holding a magnifying glass that could work too.

don't give up yet.

-vbadoni91
Old 26th March 2008
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff6
thanks so much for bearing with me on this, I never did find the three prong nuts, they were just 3/8 nuts. Here is where I am at I have the whole ignition console out and on the bench, shifter knob removed. exactly same as your last picture in the post...

Guess what? still cant get the ignition lock cylinder out, I have tried the coat hanger, to no avail, I think it may be because the key will not turn in the lock to get it 5degrees past lock.

I may surrender and take the ignition console to the dealers for them to remove the cylinder and insert the lock.

Can't be that much, Then again, they wanted $580,00 plus towing if I had taken the car up to them..

I really appreciate all your help, and the great pic's, to quote Gordon Ramsey "your'e the dogs ********"
a locksmith may be able to do it for you for cheap. Also on your 3 prong nuts: someone may have laready replaced those nuts for you. That is why you do not have them. Some may have been in the ignition lock system before I suspect.
Old 26th March 2008

Wink

Thank You, will give it another try, I agree with you that someone was inside befor, since I notice the gear shift rod has been welded.

I just recently purchased this car (2 weeks ago) I have always wanted one, I saw it in a Toyota Dealership, not for sale, it had been a trade in, the dealership was going to send it and the other older trade in's to a bulk auction.

I talked them into selling it to me for $1000, the oil has been changed every 5000 since 1996 at the same Saab dealer (Documented).

I love it, it has been years since I worked on cars, so I will be a regular asking questions.

Alas, unlike your wife, mine is not mechanically adept..
her answer is "take it to the dealers"..

Thanks again for your help, I will keep you posted on results..
Old 27th March 2008

Thumbs up ignition lock cylinder replacement

Well, FINALLY got the lock cylinder out, new one supposed to arrive by 11am friday, then put all this stuff back together, ignition gear kit, shifter etc, I like you took loads of photo's. any tips or cheats would be appreciated.
Old 27th March 2008
SaabNut!

Glad you are on your way. Would be interested in finding out what you had to do to take the cylinder out. Take lots of pictures as they will help you put it back together.

-vbadoni91
Old 27th March 2008

Smile

I put the unit on the bench and used a 1/64 drill bit and a dremel and drilled it out. through the side pin hole, I figured I couldn't hurt anything since the gear tang, like yours, was broken,. I have read a few articles on line about removing the reverse lock out gear, to prevent future problems. what are your thoughts on that, personally I would like to keep it original, but I could always put the gear away and put it back if I needed.

I will update you on the final progress. Again thanx for all your help.
Old 27th March 2008

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

I think refitting the lock cylinder is just a matter of pushing it down into the housing. The spring will click into place and that's it. Dunno if you need to mess around with the mechanism first though...
Old 28th March 2008

Thumbs up

Well everything back together, and working great, I could never have done it without your detailed instructions and photo's.. Thanks To all for the help..
Dustoff6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement